Notices

Day 12 - going great! Now quitting SUGAR!

Old 04-08-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 12 - going great! Now quitting SUGAR!

Hi All,

I hope you guys are going well and strong - I guess this is a post for those who are feeling strong and able after giving up alcohol - I'm super excited, so I hope this is legible.

Everything is going amazing - after about 4 - 5 days of sweats, aching limbs, cold chills and big time napping I've felt better and better each day! I bought a pair of fun purple Nike runners, a sprout growing tray, a vegetable steamer, a few bags of frozen blueberries and some new moisturizer, sunscreen, hair care. See where I'm going with this? - I LOVE myself all of a sudden more than I ever have. A new level of nurturing has entered my life and its spilling out, its wonderful. I feel alive!

I've cut back almost completely on the diet soda, and been drinking lots of green tea and lemon and litres of water. I've been running (formally a long distance runner) the last few days and feel amazing for that - and I just downloaded some new dance music for jogging (instead of spending nights with wine and bob dylan, leonard cohen, joni mitchel and a packet of cigarettes).

I'm excited about this NEW space for FUN, Positivity, JOY, NURTURING. These are the beautiful things that have arrived in the last 2 weeks!

Today is Easter and I'm a mom - so it's going to be futile starting to give up sugar today, but I'm focussed on starting tomorrow. Anyone with me?

Sugar has been proven to overload your liver as much as booze - and leads to Diabetes type 2, heart disease, cancer. Check out 'the bitter truth' online and 60 minutes did a good short news piece recently too.

I've decided to cut out:

All refined sugar and corn syrups from my diet for the first week.

Then I'm going to cut out honey and artificial sweeteners starting week two.

I'm going to try find some pure stevia this week and grab some LOW GI foods like almond butter, sprouted bread etc.

Any ideas and thoughts you feel like sharing ? ? I'd love to hear about it.

I think its good for me to obsess a little about something other than the fact I'm not drinking alcohol. I'm focussing on the opposite effects: healthy body and healthy mind.

Excited? I am!!!!

Who's with me Easter bunnies and bunyips?

Happy Holidays by the way, Easter and Passover

(I know this is an annoyingly positive post: here's a little cynic for everyone who needs it: )
Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

There's a Health and Nutrition type Forum on here, you may want to look into that, just scroll down from the Newcomer's Forum and you'll find it.

Congrats on 12 days!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 12. Fantastic that you feel so great.
Have a great Easter and keep up the great positive attitude. :-)
Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It's an awesome post. Positivity is what we all need. I'm right there with you... since I've quit I've completely changed my diet & lifestyle. Down 55 pounds at the moment which is a bit over halfway to my goal. We've completely eliminated processed foods (I make everything from scratch now), almost completely eliminated processed sugar (though I still use very small quantities of agave nectar & honey), and cut down on meat (meals are ~ 80-90% vegan w/ lean chicken & eggs taking up the slack). Tons of organic veggies & whole grains, especially brown rice.

Back on the bike now 2 days a week, lifting one day a week, and walking the rest. Frisbee golf or hiking on the weekends. Rest time spent studying for a new career.

I feel incredible.

Happy Easter!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 12. I wish I had your energy, but then I think I've been napping too much which doesn't help. Keep it up
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope the cloud color in Paris isn't "pink". Don't bite off too much, knee... balance and moderation is the name of the game.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Congrats on 12 days, workingknee! It *is* a wonderful feeling, isn't it? To be get excited about doing the RIGHT thing for our bodies? It does feel like pampering for a bit, especially after years of self-destructive behaviour.

And just to echo 2granddaughters's sentiment - don't get discouraged if you don't feel super-pumped like this every day going forward.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been wanting to give up sugar for the longest time! Tomorrow is as good a day as any! I'm on Day 17 today and am with you on this! Thanks for the inspiring and positive post! Happy, healthy Easter to you!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Hi, first congrats on being sober!

I eliminated all sugar (except for a little bit of honey in my tea every few days ) and it really helps against anxiety and energy spikes. I use the Primal Diet, so:

"Ramp Up Your Fat Metabolism by eliminating processed carbohydrates from your diet to minimize your body’s insulin production. This means eliminating not only sugars and sweets but grain products, including wheat, rice, pasta, and corn (yep, corn is a grain, not a vegetable). A diet that emphasizes meat, fish, fowl, nuts, seeds, and colorful
natural carbs, such as vegetables and fruits, is the primary way to improve your general health, control your weight, and minimize risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, and other diet-influenced medical conditions. If you are carrying excess body
fat, it will disappear virtually effortlessly when you focus on eating the delicious, filling, nutritious foods that have sustained humans throughout the course of evolution for two million years."

Check out the Fitness/Health/Nutrition boards: Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-08-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful to see you so perky and happy with your recovery. I agree about the sugar - I need to cut back too. When I first quit alcohol I had sugar cravings like never before - it's better now, but I still need to watch it.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you! I too, have cut out sugar. I am also trying to completely eliminate gluten, wheat, dairy for seven days to detox my body. I have felt great in the past when I have done it. Then slowly introduce things back in in moderation.

Congrats on day 12! I am on day 8. Lost my voice this weekend, but not my sobriety. No small feat, considering the fact that I was at home with very boozy relatives. I held strong.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The book “Alcoholics Anonymous” (first edition) states that. “Many of us have noticed a tendency to eat sweets and have found this practice beneficial.“ A look at the original annotated transcript for that book (chapter 7) shows the word “sugar” in large letters on several pages. These first AA guys proved to have some interesting insights into things.
Just something to consider.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I cut out sugar a while back and it makes such a difference. And I don't eat any refined carbohydrates but modest serves of rye bread, wholemeal pasta and brown rice. My weight dropped a lot when I did this and has stayed that way, I am the smallest I have been since a young teenager. At the same time I introduced full fat products back into my diet like milk, yoghurt, cheese etc, which have so much more flavor but fill me up in smaller portions than low fat versions. I think I now naturally portion control and have a better understanding of when I am full whereas sugar mucks that up. When I feel like a recipe containing sugar, like pancakes, I substitute wholemeal flour and stevia, a natural sweetner.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love it! I find the hardest to cut out is the sugar in my tea, stevia &other substitutes just don't cut it... I am a dark chocolate lover too... at least it has its benifits too

I will be doing a cleanse later this month... no sugar allowed then ;-)

You doing awesome, keep it up
Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days and I think you're making some really good choices. I also cut out sugar and decreased animal products to 5% of my diet. I feel like a million bucks so far. Good luck to you.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I am a firm believer that good health begins in the gut. Congratulations on your quest for complete wellness! Next is the dairy, red meat, simple carbs (i.e. sugar)! Reduce intake of fruits (i.e. sugars) and increase intake of dark leafy greens (natures superfoods)! You really sound like you're on the right track!!

If you're interested I can recommend a 7 day detox I have used and several people I know have used to kick start their transformation. It's very easy to follow and the diet isn't too restrictive (sounds like you're almost there anyways). A few people I know quit sugar the day they started and by the end of the week their sugar cravings were gone. I'm not a doctor so please don't take this as medical advice. If you want the info let me know and then you can do your due diligence and decide for yourself.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I did a sugar/dairy detox a few months ago.. no sugar, no fruit, no dairy, no grains, no nuts, no artificial sweeteners. That pretty much leaves vegetables and meat (eggs were also allowed) and oils. It SUCKED.. but I felt amazing at the end (it was just a 5 day thing). It was so weird, towards the end I couldn't even stand how sickeningly sweet my toothpaste tasted. It really taught me a lot about the crap I was putting in my body, how carb addicted I am, etc.. Good luck!!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Congrats! I have recently been cutting back on my sugars as well. I can't cut them out completely but I am limiting myself to only one sweet treat per day if possible I have been overdoing it lately, lol
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi guys, so great to hear from you all - it's surprising how many people have cut sugars out of their diets on their quest for health and recovery! It inspires me more, so thanks a bunch for sharing!

Sober4metoday - I'd love a copy of your 7 day detox.

Thanks for everyone for the other advice too! It feels so good to be in control of ourselves doesn't it???

Have a great week everyone! xxxx
Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewBeginning010 View Post
Love it! I find the hardest to cut out is the sugar in my tea, stevia &other substitutes just don't cut it... I am a dark chocolate lover too... at least it has its benifits too

I will be doing a cleanse later this month... no sugar allowed then ;-)

You doing awesome, keep it up
Hi Everyone, I found a new non sugar sweetener that is natural & tastes great... even with my black tea's (its also good for your teeth). Yes I quoted myself from a previous post ;-)

There is a great 60 minutes video on this website as well as some information on Xylitol Xylitol Canada

CBS 60 Minute Direct Link - Is sugar toxic? - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Here is the Wiki on it: Xylitol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me know your thoughts on it or if you have tried it. Cheers ~ NB