Notices

Energy drink: bad reaction

Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Energy drink: bad reaction

Today I thought I treat myself with nice glass of energy drink. Actually had 2.

I just don't know what to do. I feel cold, my hands are shaking. I feel absolutely sick. Does it mean I can't have even energy drinks?

I will not buy or drink them again.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would steer clear for now.
I know, personally, that I am unable to have energy drinks as this heightens my anxiety like crazy because of the amount of caffeine in them, so I avoid them like the plague.
Caffeine and anxiety don't mix...and when I do end up having some, I feel sick and my hands shake like crazy as well.
If you are concerned I would suggest you go see a doctor.
How long have you been sober for?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

bayliss

Im sober 68 days. I would never thought that energy drink can make me feel like this. I had some water but its not improving.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is this the first time you've drank an energy drink or this type? I've had this reaction with too much strong coffee before but I don't drink energy drinks. There is a reason that some of these things were banned in France. Way too much caffeine. Have a nice Chamomile tea instead
Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Too many energy drinks will certainly give me that reaction.
I hope you'll feel better soon HF

D
Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hypochondriac

Its not the first time I have energy drink. But second time I have this reaction from this type. I used to drink it a little bit before, but this evening its bad. I feel like I have overdosed 10 times. Im so cold. I will pour it out and will never buy it again.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The important thing is not to panic, I think - if you're a normal healthy young woman, you might feel uncomfortable for a few hours, but this will pass

D
Old 04-07-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, don't panic. Don't have anything else with caffeine or sugar in though.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dee's right, no need to panic.

Thought I'd mention though, when I was in rehab (great program), i attended a class whereby they addressed so called "energy drinks". The Councellor had about 15 different types/brands in front of her. I've got great eye sight and I could not read the contents of probably 12 of those cans.

Bottom line - pure crap.

This jittery feeling will subside....
Old 04-07-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dee, hypochondriac,

Its not getting better. I had so much water. I would say its getting worse. I WILL never ever drink that crap ever again. Feels like I overdosed some drugs or something. How can people sell that crap.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea energy drinks are sometimes unpredictable, when I'm doing something they are ok, but like today if I lounge around watching TV etc… they sometimes make me feel depressed. I have felt nauseated by them too.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Healthyfood - like everyone said (!!!) don't panic! I think that you're thinking way too much about it and that is why you are feeling worse.
Just calm down, like Hypochondriac said, have some chamomile tea...not sure whereabouts you live but even some tension tamer tea would help too.

Do you have issues with anxiety?
People that quit and then get anxiety (and never have before) don't really know how to deal with it.
Know that the feeling will go away...it isn't going to stay forever, it's just waaaay too much adrenaline in your body.
Caffeine does this! You had energy drinks before, yes...but not after this heightened sense of awareness now to everything that you do after done drinking.

Congratulations on your sobriety - so admirable.

To try and calm down...have some tea, relax, laugh (may be hard, but will help!), go for a bubble bath...shop online ( ! haha that always helps, ), go for a walk. Don't sit there and think about it.
Do you have anyone around you?

BUT!!!!
If you are really worried - go to the ER!! Not trying to freak you out at all, but if you are really concerned then go.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

They are unregulated. Several people had horrible consequences drinking them. Do a search.

Green tea in moderation (do a search what that is, too).

Glad you are okay.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
They are unregulated. Several people had horrible consequences drinking them. Do a search.

Green tea in moderation (do a search what that is, too).

Glad you are okay.
Had no idea.
Definitely avoiding them more so now.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

you had 2 energy drinks in a short space of time....it' going to take time to leave your body too.

i only drink 1/2 of a small can of sugar free red bull or a 5 hour energy early in the morning, not late PM.

but i'm used to the caffeine.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
Dee, hypochondriac,

Its not getting better. I had so much water. I would say its getting worse. I WILL never ever drink that crap ever again. Feels like I overdosed some drugs or something. How can people sell that crap.
hey healthyfood! i get feeling that same way when i have too much caffine, dont know if you have anxiety issues or anything, but try not to start panicking about the effects you are feeling. thinking about them and how uncomfortable they are will only make it worse. Hopefully its worn off a bit by now?

i know the exact feeling you are talking about and its very uncomfortable, went through it the other day when i drank too much coffee.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just sat on the the sofa all this time. For a moment I thought I might need a doctor.

Omg never again! I had tea somehow and it seemed to help me. Its not perfect yet but its better.

Thank you all for support! And never drink energy drinks. Its 1am already and Im not going to bed until that crap drink is out.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can you go take a BRISK walk, burn some of that off?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

water with sliced citrus fruit (lemon, lime, orange) or strawberries. Maybe blueberries...oh, that sounds good!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Those drinks have taurine & other chemicals that are way worse than caffeine. I'm already sensitive to caffeine & chocolate. Had a few of those & thought my heart would explode. You just have to wait it out. Sorry you feel so bad. I hate those things.