Notices

The four day bump in my road

Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The four day bump in my road

Hello all. I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm once again sitting at four days sober and I'm feeling the itch.. again. The good news is the day is almost over!
Ever since I relapsed in mid-November I've been having trouble getting past day four. Maybe its the point that all the alcoholic metabolites are out of my system so the craving kicks back in. Whatever the case may be, I think I made it this time. And I seriously almost left the house to go out drinking! ):

I got offered a job moonlighting as a bar-back at the local bar that I have frequented since the relapse. Well I work a full time as a supervisor in retail to begin with, so not alot of time for a second job anyways. But I went in for my first shift tonight, scared like hell I would be tempted to drink, only to find that the bar-back that has worked there for years was working already. The owner said to me "you were late". No, I wasn't. He told me to come in at 7,8 or 9ish. Well I got home from my real job at 8 and went straight there. I was a little pissed but didn't let it show. He told me to come back tomorrow at 8.

I don't think I'm going to. I really don't need the temptation of working around alcohol this early in my sobriety, if not ever at all. I don't want this guy to have a bad opinion of me but honestly, I'm never going to see him again anyways. And he drinks at his bar everyday, so who gives a S**t what he thinks. He was probably drunk when he told me to come in at "7,8 or 9.

Sorry for the rant. I could use that bit of extra money, but damn that could get ugly. Thanks for letting me vent my way through my "day four roadblock".
Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Blowfish

Yeah I agree with you - I'm not exactly sure what a bar back is, but anything with bar in your job title isn't what I'd recommend for anyone at 4 days.

keeping moving into day 5
D
Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that speedy reply Dee! A bar-back is someone that assists the bartender - keeps the coolers stocked, ice filled etc. Yeah the whole place reeks of alcohol and is full of daily drinkers. Probably not a place I should ever step foot in again if I'm going to make sobriety a top priority.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for explaining - and yeah, I don't like bars at all nowadays either.
D