Notices

OK, so guess what was in MY script bag???

Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OK, so guess what was in MY script bag???

Hey all,
So I have been sick since I got sober a mere 11 days ago. Allergies are terrible down in the South and I have terrible sinuses as well. I can feel a sinus infection coming on so I go to my (*unnamed*) pharmacy to pick up my prescription for amoxycillin. Guess what is in my bag?

I drive home (no longer a short drive, I have just moved), open the bag and find a GIGANTIC bottle of Lortabs. 10 Mg Lortabs. Brand name Lortabs. In addition to drinking I have been taking those for 4 years now, about 50mg a day. Every day. Until only March 27th, 1 day after I quit drinking.

Yikes.

I called the pharmacy and told them I had Theresa X's prescription, not mine. They were quaking. I told them I was a long way from the store and would have to bring them back tomorrow. I got off the phone and realized that was NOT in their best interest or MINE. I took them back.

The pharmacist was literally shaking as he gave me my prescription, had filled another I had not asked to be filled for yet, and gave me a $50 refund on the pharmacy.....

I know these things don't happen at all and jobs were probably on the line. But my LIFE was on the line. Why not give a suicidal person a loaded gun. Jesus, 10 days sober from Lortab, 11 for alcohol, and I get 120 brand name Lortab.

If that is not self restraint I am not sure what is.......I will pocket that HUGE portion of self control for when I need it.

I wonder what % of the US population of addicts like me, fresh in recovery, would do the same?

But I can tell you this. I was NOT safe with that bottle in the house tonight.....they had to get the H*LL out of here........

So there ya go. Can I get a big, sweaty wheeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww?!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You made a great decision Leemzer - congratulations!

D
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You made a great decision Leemzer - congratulations!

D
Thanks Dee, honestly I was more concerned for them and people losing their jobs......I really was. 120 Lortab can't just go missing in a pharmacy without some serious consequences and/or heads rolling...not in today's crisis world...

But I did know enough for myself to know that bag and I could NOT be in here for the duration of the night.......
Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What an incredible achievement!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go. That took serious resolve.

Don't feel bad about the employees. There's no way that would go unnoticed no matter what you did.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

That is just incredible, amazing. Like a test!!

And you took them back!!

Way to go Leemzer!!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's pretty awesome...I give you a lot of credit on that one.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go! Pharmacies are not nearly as accurate as they once were, IMO. I am forced to get my prescriptions filled at the certain chain if I want the insurance to cover it. They have given me the wrong meds, the wrong amount or the wrong dosage every time. I've learned to check it out before leaving the pharmacy!

I think you're off to a good start after passing a test like this! Good job!

love from Lenina
Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I am feeling stronger and stronger from it. I remember this the last time I was sober for 10 months. Every 3 day weekend, every holiday, every everything in life that I accomplished sans alcohol was a huge achievement. The Lortab are the same way, though luckily I do not crave them as I don't crave alcohol. I guess I am lucky not to crave, but experience has shown me that in the past I become complacent with that and convince myself that I can moderate.....which I CANNOT. I feel really good about this, like it was a nice slice of sunshine to pocket for times in which I feel weak...I can look back and say, hey man, when you were 11 days into recovery you returned 120 pills that were a paritial bane to your existence. Surely you can make it through TODAY. STAIRS--I agree with you, it was almost like a test....at least I am going to view it that way...and I passed! Fear of the pills was healthy....fear can be a very good thing as well as a healthy respect.....I am learning more and more there are just things EACH of us in this life CANNOT do...For example, I love cats but am highly allergic to them. I cannot be ANYWHERE near them...but I can have peanuts and others can die from a peanut allergy...I am going to have to view drugs and alcohol like this----I'm just one of the people who CANNOT do them....no need to get pissy or disappointed about it. They are no different than the "cats" in my life......thanks for all the support everyone...I am feeling stronger every day. I will really try to give back to this board in return. I am a pretty insightful person and get more so the more sober I get (at least I have in the past)..so hopefully I can be a rock for someone else one day as many of you are for me today. I am feeling the community love and support!
Leemzer
Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Leemzer, I was in a similar situation once, here is a big fat envelope of $20s if you hire my brother, and another one for you later if he is still working for you in three months. This sort of thing is frowned upon at big companies like the one I work at, I am told. My heart was pounding as I said, I won't touch that envelope, make it go away so we both don't get into a situation neither of us want. There was this sound of rushing water in my ears, you must have felt something similar when you read the contents of that bottle.

I bet you feel almost superhuman for rising above your past there. That was a trial by fire, and you came through that with flying colors. Well done. I bet you feel like a million bucks.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Leemzer, I was in a similar situation once, here is a big fat envelope of $20s if you hire my brother, and another one for you later if he is still working for you in three months. My heart was pounding as I said, I won't touch that envelope, make it go away so we both don't get into a situation neither of us want. There was this sound of rushing water in my ears, you must have felt something similar when you read the contents of that bottle.

I bet you feel almost superhuman for rising above your past there. That was a trial by fire, and you came through that with flying colors. Well done. I bet you feel like a million bucks.
I really do...and I am glad that I took them back. I think I would have been stupid tonight on a holiday weekend, and something told me that I a) Needed to do the right thing and b) could NOT be around those without breaking...sometimes in knowing our weaknesses we find our strengths. Thanks for your post!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, good job and I applaud your honesty in bringing them back.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Wow..that had to have been rough. Really proud of you.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Awesome job.

Being a mature grown-up sure isn't easy is it? lol. Well done. .....learned a valuable lesson too.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FLA

Wow!!!! Thatd be so crazy, I probably woulda sold them. That's a crazy situation.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can appreciate how tough and scary that was! Good for you on doing the right thing.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You guys have NO IDEA how empowering it was to wake up today and realize just how SIGNIFICANT it was that I took that prescription back last night after a mere 10 days off of those hellish things. The VERY FIRST thing I thought of this morning was, "How would you have felt if you had looked at that bottle, prescribed for someone else, knowing good and well that 5 of them were missing and you took them last night." Sent shivers down my spine, but made me realize just how far I have come in under 2 weeks....would have NEVER had that kind of self control. Still wondering how I did, but hey, they are out of my hands now. That bottle was one hot potato!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Leemzer that is an amazing conscious of self and for others.

This speaks volumes about who you really are.

Empowering? significant? Hell ya!

That's a breakthru moment. Very significant.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing!! Great job!!! You should be very proud of yourself!! Lind
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

WOW. Just wow. I don't think I would have had the strength to do that and I am in awe of you for doing that. You are a GREAT person.