Notices

Can't help but to feel weird being sober..

Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FLA

Can't help but to feel weird being sober..

I'm so use to being the center of attention at parties and everywhere I go, now that I'm sober I feel like I'm bored and anti social or something. Like today I went fishing by myself for 3 hours then went to the library and got some movies... That was my whole day. Sure I like fishing and being around the ocean but I'm not use to being by myself all the time. I also can't watch movies every single night I'm to out going for that I'll just end up drinking if I keep this up. My mind keeps saying " your being anti social and doing weird things your probably going crazy" then I get anxiety about it. I don't know what to do to occupy my time. Oh and I think I'm going to my friends lake house this weekend to mess around for a day or two. I haven't told my friends I'm trying to get sober I just tell them I don't feel like drinking when they ask, because last time they gave me a bunch of s-hit about it. But anyways do you think it's a bad idea to go? There's going to be alcohol there.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ugh. Bummer, dude. How long have you been sober? xx
Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FLA

7 days Friday.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Congrats on one week.
It's really hard to cope with the 'you're lame' feelings, but I had already gotten to that point with the drink (lonely all the time). I think it's way to early especially if they we be throwing drinks your way every few minutes. Took me about 90 days before I felt comfortable going to a restaurant which also had a bar in it.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLA View Post
7 days Friday.
Well, yeah, hun - the first week sucks. I was depressed as hell until, I think, day six or seven. And angry, and bored, and tearful. I literally couldn't think of anything that would fill the place of drinking.

But there's a switch, somewhere. It just happens for some people, some people have to go looking for it, but it happens. There are a billion things to do sober. And being sober feels good, it really does. That's why there are so many wildly evangelical dudes on this site (me included? hehe yeah maybe...) trying to spread the word.

I went to the pub for the first time sober the other day. It was, like, day32 for me or something. The first hour or so was complete white-knuckle horrible. Then I settled in, ate some chips, drank my coke, and livened up. I had a good time. Surprised the sht out of me. I've been drunk for 19 years.

I can't advise on the beach hut thing (is that what you said? or cabin?) but I can promise you sobriety gets better than it feels in the first fricken week!

Hang in there dude...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Honestly I would say skip it if you weren't sure you would be able to handle it sober. This is comming from the guy that went to a bar after two weeks to shoot pool but I knew going into that situation that I was not going to drink no matter what. I also didn't have a group of friends that would try to encourage me to do so. If you are puttig yourself in a situation where you would normaly drink so soon after stopping, and you are not CERTAIN that you will not drink then I say don't do it. When I say certain I mean it not question no possibility no sliver of doubt in your mind about not drinking, that is the only way I personaly would say sure go ahead. It doesn't sound to me like you are there yet, however that is up to you to decide.