Drinking/Drugging Is A Bad Choice

Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Drinking/Drugging Is A Bad Choice

Or at least it was for me as a secular minded person.

I used to think being an addict was just my lot in life. I rarely consider the alternative, sobriety. Taking my life down the road of continued addiction seemed like my only option. Never mind the death defying detoxes I did on my own. The homeless, hospital visits with various life threatening conditions, being dumped back on the street from the hospital recovery...normal to me.

Then it came to me, sitting in jail (I always got busted for petty sh!t and not the devious gang related criminal acts I constantly engaged in) why not get sober/clean. It was an easy choice at first. Ah...well, the choices I was making were eventually not conducive to recovery.

Trial and error (with a variety of recovery programs), as it always was in my life with learning, helped me to develop a set of recovery tools that brought me greater control over my once totally out of control addiction/addictive wreck of a life.

I'm not helpless to make the changes I need to make so as to live free from active drug addiction.
So here goes with the tired but true saying: if I can do it - so can you. So just do it and be done with it!

one more time, why not clean up.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey crazy, good to see you!

Love this post. I'm doin it. I'm doin it right now
Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Hey crazy, good to see you!

Love this post. I'm doin it. I'm doin it right now
I know you can! I like your energy you bring to SR.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I know you can! I like your energy you bring to SR.

Thanks dude, I like yours too I'm goin to the zoo today with two little ones, whatcha up to sober?
Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Thanks dude, I like yours too I'm goin to the zoo today with two little ones, whatcha up to sober?
Mostly chillaxing as I have the time to do as I can. SSID affords me the time to rebuild a manageable life and the new DSRL camera is keeping me busy learning about photography.

Whats your interest besides languages . Is that correct your interest is a linguist.

Haha, I'm a hack of the English language.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post

Haha, I'm a hack of the English language.
Hehe me too, hack an burn dude I like to think I'm qualified to make a choice, and I choose to talk like this lol

Well, at the moment a lot of my spare time is spent on here, reaffirming. I need to start weaning myself off tho, and getting rid of my training wheels. But this place is my AA, you know? After 19 years I got a lot of reconditioning to do, and things to figure out, and I like doin it among you guys...

When I'm not doin that (ha!) I'm a teacher. And when I'm not doin THAT I write. And in between it all get as much time in as I can with my lovely H. He's started drawing again now we're clean, so we spent last night tucked in our tiny room, him with his sketch pad on the sofa, me at the table goin over a manuscript with a red pen. It was quietly, humbly magical.

Fck booze and drugs. I will not forget. No. More. Booze.

xxx
Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cool! Its great to get on with life, the life intended without drugs that is. Follow 'your bliss' sort of thing for sure. Addiction recovery is just that, pick-up where one needs to go and look behind little more.

It becomes a maintenance thing for me. I do as I need to do with staying on track with what I want to do, recovery program included. Included but not the only focus...yes,. Not recovery, recovery, recovery, then live some life free from addiction but stuck in recovery-ISM.

Here at SR I promote atheism within the bounds of AA. I do it, others like me do it...so I seek out those like myself and encourage them to do it...AA is after all for everybody.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post ZCat- I haven't logged on in awhile- but maintenance is the piece. Had some beers last night- drinking socially etc is becoming a problem- not because I over drink- but because my judgement gets compromised and I want to smoke dope. or snort coke.
Ill be hanging around more. ****.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back Bob.

SR is a great place that will help you make the changes you need.