Notices

ok,limiting factor

Old 04-05-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ok,limiting factor

once someone gets about eight or ten beers in them, they can't see the computer screen anymore, (my friend told me that and they can't post any lonnger) so, just a tid bit of knowlagdege...
Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm gonna have to take your friends word for it Dan...
Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is what caused me to stop drinking. I remember laying in bed trying to watch Diners, Drive ins & Dives & I was seeing double. And I wanted to keep drinking.
I had a moment of clarity. I thought it will never be enough. I can't even watch TV.
I was soooo mad at myself. That was my last night of drinking. January 13.
Ha 13 has always been my lucky number
Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover View Post
This is what caused me to stop drinking. I remember laying in bed trying to watch Diners, Drive ins & Dives & I was seeing double. And I wanted to keep drinking.
I had a moment of clarity. I thought it will never be enough. I can't even watch TV.
I sincerily wish you the best, wait five months and see what happens.. tell me your secret please.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think there's a secret Dan - you just decide to make the leap, then do whatever is required for you not to pick up the glass again, you know?

it's simple...even if it isn't easy

D
Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The secret is wanting to quit more than you want that next drink. After 14 months of this 'philosophy' I can say that so far it's working for me.
The next secret is change...if you don't change yourself nothing will change. Change is scary but it was the last alternative for me to try!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is no secret Dan.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wanna sai i love you guys, but, im just not putting two and two together
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
I wanna sai i love you guys, but, im just not putting two and two together
What 2's are you trying to connect? (but not able to)

and fwiw, poor reading/posting skills on another message board I used to be part of yeeeeeeeears ago never concerned me enough to deal with my drinking. It's usually pretty tough to scare an alkie into sobriety.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You will, Dan.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover View Post
Although I find our shared addiction drop dead serious, and ultimatly life threatening. I could not help but to explode into laughter when I read this.

I can remember so many times where I was watching TV, and I just figured "Oh well, I can just watch with one eye shut". I think my favorite to watch at the time was King of the Hill.

Not to get too much into war stories, but yea... I remember all those times of "one eye watching" where I ended up on the most redicilous television programs... My favorite on the food channel was "Two Fat Ladies".

Looking back now, I realize how pathetic I was sitting there on the couch with one eye open watching stupid television... I am glad I am in a better place now.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
I sincerily wish you the best, wait five months and see what happens.. tell me your secret please.
For many, Dan, the secret is when your liver blows up to the size of a blimp, and you find yourself in liver failure.

Or, for some, the secret is when they hurt a family member due to their alcoholism/drug addiction.

Or - the secret is when an individual finds themselves spending a few days in jail due to DUI..

The list goes on and on. Until you have "that moment" you might not really find the secret. Good luck finding your secret.. If you do not stop drinking, I promise you, eventually you will find your secret.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I appreciate all the good advice, and will read it again, but just remember, when alcohol had it's grips around your neck, and you had to deal with it. I'm stupid about this, but the brain, dictates all.. from what i can tell.. prehistorically, i don't know... but thank you very much, i actually can still type.. yeahhh
Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Try spending the last 6 years of your loved one's life while he spends 6 hours 4 times a week in dialysis.......becoming more septic and watching other organ systems get ill, too......now that's an eye-opener!

Ever just type a journal into your word program and read it the next day?

Dude, go to sleep.

Try not drinking tomorrow. How bad do you need it to get?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Try spending the last 6 years of your loved one's life while he spends 6 hours 4 times a week in dialysis.......becoming more septic and watching other organ systems get ill, too......now that's an eye-opener!

Ever just type a journal into your word program and read it the next day?

Dude, go to sleep.

Try not drinking tomorrow. How bad do you need it to get?
you are ryigt, i went overboard tonight, ten beers, not sure why, I'm still awaketho, ...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

40 oz. one night
24 oz. next night
96-120 oz. the next? Seriously?????
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

yea, I guess that's why i don't want to go to sleep yet,... but let's compare, since you are better at math than me at this point, I used to put (2) shot glasses of scocth (not to minimize but i am, ok two shots in each glass five times) a shot being a good size shot... each night compared to five 24 oz of labatts, sorry dee...

that's ten shot of scotch, compareded to five twenty four ounce labates
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Moderate Drinking - Alcohol Alert No. 16-1992
"U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2) define moderate drinking as no more than one drink a day for most women, and no more than two drinks a day for most men. A standard drink is generally considered to be 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits."

5 24 oz = 10 drinks
5 2 shots = about 15 drinks?

I dunno, I'm tired. Is a shot 2 oz or 1.5 oz? I assume you were heavy handed with the shots..

Basically, you are drinking way too much! If it's working... I have a friend who has been having work and family problems, is in out patient rehab due to work, has a situation at work and keeps getting the facts confused, and claims to have stopped drinking, then she was drinking, then it was a couple, then up to 6, I assume she's on her way back to 12 beers a night (although she's had some at work). A very dangerous person, in my opinion....

I drank a 6 pack a night. No work? I drank up to 10-12. Sometimes 18. It would fluctuate depending on how ill I felt the next day. It was still too much.

I dunno, Dan. I just don't know. I hope you give it up. I know I will wake up without a headache tomorrow....
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol disrupts your SWS sleep. Not just the REM sleep.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I used to play computer games and watch a movie while drinking, I play RTS's which require a lot of paying attention and fast reaction time combined with actual strategic thought. By about beer 9 I wasn't really able to keep up anymore so I would switch to a turn based game so I had time to collect my thoughts by beer 12 I wasn't interested in that anymore and 13-whenever I stoped was usually just watching the movie, and surfing the internet. I used to read a lot when drinking and after 7-9 I would find myself reading but not comprehending when I discovered that I had to read the same page three times to remember what happened I would put the book down. Alcohol takes away all the pleasure these things used to bring us and replaces it with a dimwitted drunken fog. That is why it is so easy to entertain a drunk they are simpler than a child because they don't have the compacity to be more so anymore.