Notices

"replacing" addictions

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"replacing" addictions

Since I have made the commitment to stop drinking, I have been getting more and intense desires to smoke again...I stopped smoking regularly over 6 years ago, but have still have a cigar when I'm golfing, for example...but no "need" to have it...until recently. I am finding that my thoughts of drinking, since I have mentally dismissed that option, are now saying, "well, at least have a cigar". Is this common??
Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't smoke cigars...But I do know we are creatures of habit....I don't know....If an occasional cigar is the worst you have going for you...I could live with that...I'm trying to cut cigarettes out myself.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was thinking the same thing, especially when I read the "eating" thread...but I can identify the "voice" as my AV looking for different pleasure and I worry about fighting it on several fronts (alcohol, cigars,etc). I've proven that I can't moderate drinking, so I doubt that I have the ability to moderate tobacco...and it was hell to quit the first time (guess I just answered my own question)
Old 04-05-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I that's totally normal. Look at how many threads you see here on SR that are food related. People who ate so healthy before (aside from the booze wash down) can't seem to get enough chocolate, junk food, etc..
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 6palms View Post
I've proven that I can't moderate drinking, so I doubt that I have the ability to moderate tobacco...
You're talking about cigars right?....Not cigarettes...
Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Makes perfect sense.

Drugs & alcohol alter brain chemistry. They all either mimic/replace the chemicals your body naturally produces, or hijack your body to produce natural chemicals in excess. So they share a strong commonality. So when you remove one, your subconscious mind essentially says "Hey! Where did the <insert your favorite nuerotransmitter here> go? We need a quick fix. Let's check the memory banks and see what works. Smoking, eh? Cool. Here comes a craving".

Try munching on cashews. They're very high in tryptophan, a precursor to serotonin, which very likely will give your body what it needs. If nothing else, they're friggin' delicious.

BTW - you're still getting nicotine from cigars. You don't have to inhale. It can absorb through the lining of your mouth.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Undrunk since Jan28 2012

I feel your pain, man... I tried quitting smoking also with the booze, but my wife flat out told me to go buy a pack, and deal with it later. I was a bit... Testy. Actually, I found myself starting to CHAINSMOKE, so I started using my kitchen timer, setting it for an hour after I come in from a smoke, and I can't have one until that goes off. It's enough to keep me ungrumped, but without lighting cig 2 off of cig 1.

Sorry my solution doesn't quite fit your situation... Really, it's nothing more than a stopgap for me, even.

Oh, I second the cashews idea, although I'll see your cashews and raise you pistachios! I find the "fiddling" time spent helps, also.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I dunno, I'm not as concerned with replacing addictions as others seem to be. Sure, if you stop drinking but start shooting heroin then you still have a problem, but if you quit drinking and start smoking the occasional cigar I don't see what's wrong with that. I drink copious amounts of tea and coffee since I quit drinking, but drinking tea or coffee doesn't make me skip work, flake out on responsibilities and get suicidal like drinking did.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've given up smoking too but I've definitely 'replaced' the addiction, with chocolate and tea, which admittedly isn't the end of the world but I do worry about this addictive mindset. Most people don't start boiling the kettle before they've finished their last cup of tea etc...

I'm thinking of replacing tea with cashews now
Old 04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Haha eJosh that was my exact reasoning a couple of days ago when my mom starts pointing that I've come home with a half dozen krispy kreme donuts for 2 days in a row. I was like hey these donuts aren't going to alter my mind my mind, make me make a fool out of myself, or make me wake up in a strangers bed tomorrow.

However, I don't want my health to be sacrificed in any way so I've just started looking into all of the nutritional facts of the fast food I eat and it has scared me straight for the most part.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by FormerDrunko View Post
I'll see your cashews and raise you pistachios!
In that case, I'm all in!!