Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

April 9, 8, 7, 6 & 5 in the Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

I have a dear friend getting married Saturday, and will be away from the computer on Sunday - so am posting through Monday this evening. Lots of good information! See you again Monday evening.

April 9 in the Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Sometimes, we find ourselves in a situation so difficult that it seems like a long drawn-out crisis; we cannot solve it; there is no way to escape. Such a problem will occupy our thoughts continually – round and round and round it goes, and the more we think about it, the more we are engulfed in despair.

This is the moment to recall a simple phrase, a slogan or a bit of philosophy, and to say it over and over until our minds are filled with it, replacing thoughts of the tormenting problem.

It might be the Serenity Prayer, or a thought like the one an Al-Anon member sent in to THE FORUM: “Thank you, God. I can now see that thorns have roses.”

TODAY’S REMINDER

There is some good in even the darkest troubles that happen to me. I can acquire the knack of searching out the good, and concentrating on it. Much depends on meeting my problems head on, calmly estimating their real character, refusing to exaggerate them, and then drowning them out with an inspiring thought.

“Painful experiences come from the thorns that wound us; they make us forget they also have roses. Yet we cannot expect to enjoy life’s color, beauty and fragrance, without accepting the thorny challenges and learning how to deal with them, as we do in Al-Anon.”

April 8 in the Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Would I stand on a seashore, and, like King Canute of the ancient legend, try to command the tides? It is just as fruitless to try to control the alcoholic. Yet this is what I would be doing in attempting to force sobriety by my will power.

I must honestly admit that I am not even able to control my own thoughts, words and actions. There is much room for improvement. My first obligation is to make a truly satisfying life for myself. To do this, I must work on my own shortcomings; get on better terms with myself, and those around me.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will devote myself to overcoming my flaws of character and controlling my impulsive words and actions. This will leave me no time to concern myself with remodeling the alcoholic.

Once I withdraw my interference and protection, the alcoholic may realize that sobriety must be a personal, individual problem which no one else can solve for him.

“I pray for the wisdom to know that no other person’s salvation depends upon me, but on himself and God.”

April 7 in the Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Someone says at an Al-Anon meeting, “But I must ‘cover up’ for the alcoholic; what would my neighbors and relatives think of me if I didn’t?” Another admits that she must make excuses to the boss, lest the alcoholic lose his job. Another goes to work to help pay bills that should be the responsibility of the head of the household.

Can we really delude ourselves into believing that such stop-gaps will work? Do we imagine they will do anything but prolong the alcoholic agony, since we know the disease is progressive? We would do well to realize that the inevitable collapse may be far worse than if we had allowed him to face up to his own responsibilities and mistakes, free of our interference.

TODAY’S REMINDER

If I take no part in protecting the alcoholic from the consequences of his drinking, and allow disaster to overtake him, then the responsibility for what happens is not mine. I should not create a crisis to “bring the alcoholic to his senses,” but I must have the courage to keep hands off and let the crisis happen.

“I pray God to help me understand that the alcoholic’s fate is not in my hands. I will leave to Him whatever action is to be taken, and guard against interfering with the working out of His plan for us.”

April 6 in the Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

For my own good, I will go to Al-Anon meetings with an open mind, ready to receive and accept new ideas. For my own good, I will apply these ideas to my own life.

If I go to meetings with a mind tightly closed, ready to criticize what I hear, it is as though I were to hold a teaspoon under Niagara Falls in an effort to get water for my thirst.

Every Al-Anon meeting has something important to give to the listener and the sharer. I must be willing to listen and share.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will remember that I go to Al-Anon for the instruction and emotional support I cannot find elsewhere. I will get help from others who understand my distress; I will ask for their guidance as to my own shortcomings which I may find difficult to recognize. I know I need not accept everything everyone says, but the thinking process it engenders will set me on the right path.

“I pray that I may always bring a healing helpful message to my fellow members in Al-Anon, and I pray for the willingness to search out the good in what they say to me.”

April 5 in the Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

A member once said, “The Twelve steps were designed for desperate people like us – as a shortcut to God. When we accept them and use them, we find they open the way to using our God-given abilities which we have allowed to lie dormant.”

The Steps are like a medicine which many of us won’t bother to take, although we know they can heal us of the sickness of despair, frustration, resentment and self-pity. Why is this? It may be we have a deep-rooted desire for martyrdom. Consciously, we think we want to help, but some dark and hidden sense of guilt makes us crave punishment more than we want relief from our ills.

TODAY’S REMINDER

No one really needs to suffer unhappiness and discontent or be deprived of the good things of life. We can find the way bout by daily study of the Twelve Steps. This wholesome spiritual philosophy will help us find our way into the light of a good life.

“I pray for the willingness to accept the difficult discipline of the Twelve Steps. Living with such a guide makes life increasingly worthwhile.”
Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Enjoy the wedding!