Notices

Yea, I'm new here

Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yea, I'm new here

I figured I'd give this a go. I used to be a very functional drunk who accomplished a lot in numerous facets of life. More and more, I began to realize that I have been spinning out of control. For someone who used to be a fun and nice drunk, I've become a crazy and out of control drunk (not mean, just blackout stupid). For someone who used to accomplish so much, I've started accomplishing very little. For someone who used to not get hangovers, now I get horrible ones where I don't feel that bad, I just feel really anxious and depressed. For someone who used to have money, I'm now broke. For someone who ____, I ____. You name it. I've been a moderate to heavy 'most days' drinker for a few years, and figured out it's time to stop.

So I figured I'd give this a whirl and join, to read the stories of others who have similarly been in a bad situation. I know I can turn this around, and I believe I can do it fairly quickly, but not necessarily easily. Anyway, just figured I'd introduce myself. Cheers (water of course) to today.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Uhh, we might be twins. I just put a check mark next to everything you said. Applies to me....
Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I think you'll find SR a very positive place with caring people who have been there, are there, or aspire to be there--clean & sober that is. I used to be a functional drunk then I wasn't. The earlier you catch yourself in this progressive dis-ease the better. Take care.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it is an odd feeling when you become quite aware that you are not so "functional" anymore....it can be insidious for some folks, like me...took YEARS to creep up, then BAM, there it was and here I am....
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that the big commonality with drinking (or being a problem drinker) is that you become a polar opposite, or a shell of your former self. It took me a while to realize it, and I've been considering quitting for the past year or so. There is no point to keep delaying it, so I'm going to do my best. The sooner I stop, I figure the sooner things will start moving in the direction I had been moving in.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome! Sobriety rocks.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That could be my story too, Totes. What was once fun & relaxing on the weekends turned into every day drinking. In the end, I'd lost all control of the amounts I drank. It wasn't fun or enjoyable, just misery & hopelessness. When I found SR I was no longer alone. Everyone understood, and that was huge.

Leemzer & Totes - it's great to have you here.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome TotesBro

D
Old 04-04-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Talking

Totes bra