Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Thanks all for your support, reality check and perspective--needed all

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After getting off my pity pot I remember this quote by the Buddha.

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.”
Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for your quote, Fitz, it has helped me today....
Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

love it. so true. I always make a gratitude list when I feel overwhelmed by negative things and usually everything negative has a positive ending included.
For example in septemebr I had really terrible allergies. I could not breath and no meds would help. I felt like dying. In the end even my nasal spray that I took for the last 10 years did not help. for some reason after everything cleared up (3 painful month) I could breath and did not even need my nasal spray any more and for the 1st time in years I can smell things...... So everything bad will turn into something good in the long term.....
Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know what Fitz?

Today is my birthday and I found myself feeling a little sorry for myself in the sense that my life is not exactly as I had hoped it to be at 43 (ie. Kids), but I took a moment to reflect on how hard I have worked to being sober and having some inner peace.

But mostly, I'm grateful that I'm here to HAVE a birthday. Once again, a gratitude check in snapped me out of it
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

You nailed it, Fitz. There is no room for fear/anger/hatred/frustration/sadness in a grateful heart. I make a list of three things that I'm grateful for every single night. It was tough getting started in the beginning, but now it's second nature and I invariably end up with more than 3 things every day ... which makes me even MORE grateful.

Thank you for sharing this.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy birthday debsam!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

...and if we died we aren't here to complain about it.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. So I said, “Got any shoes you’re not using?” (Steven Wright)
Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by debsam View Post
You know what Fitz?

Today is my birthday and I found myself feeling a little sorry for myself in the sense that my life is not exactly as I had hoped it to be at 43 (ie. Kids), but I took a moment to reflect on how hard I have worked to being sober and having some inner peace.

But mostly, I'm grateful that I'm here to HAVE a birthday. Once again, a gratitude check in snapped me out of it
Happy birthday