Notices

Struggling with the mess I've made of my life

Old 04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Struggling with the mess I've made of my life

I am almost 30 days clean of a 15 yr opiate addiction, physically most days are great but emotionally I am a yo yo!!!!Any advise:
Old 04-02-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR szavo...This is a great site....Why not hang around with some addicts in recovery...Check out an NA meeting....Meet some people with the same problems that you have that are finding a solution. I had a bad problem with alcohol...That's how I used AA. You put in the effort....It works.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks....I am planning on going to one tomorrow, 1st time. This has been my dirty little secret for yrs so it's a big step, only my close family a friends knew.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi szavo

I have no experience with opiate addiction but many of our members have and I'm sure you'll hear from them.

My drug was alcohol but I was a little emotionally up and down for a while too - I think it's a part of any withdrawal - and especially if you've been using for a while - we have to get used to feeling things again you know?

As for the past - we sort it out like we sort out any mess I think - one piece, and one day, at a time

Glad to have you here - you might like to also check out our substance abuse forum too:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 04-02-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by szavo View Post
Thanks....I am planning on going to one tomorrow, 1st time. This has been my dirty little secret for yrs so it's a big step, only my close family a friends knew.
I found it real helpful to be around people with the same problem...It's like hanging around on this site....Stick around people that want to get better...You have free time...Hang out here. Enjoy your meeting..
Old 04-02-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what do i do?

I am having a really hard time. I have spent about 9 years in and out of AA and NA rooms and have been off of Meth for a little over those 9 years. I have drank periodically but last year i was hospitalized due to my appendix. They loaded me up on morphine and sent me home with a bottle of norco. Since then it has been a huge struggle. Ive been buying norco and vicodin off the street. My fiance didnt know anything cause he is a "normie" i recently told him the truth. I never even did pills before all this and now here i am struggling to stay off of them. What do i do? The withdrawl is horrible and i have heard many things online about terrible withdrawl symptoms. I am a mother and fear that if i get too sick i wont be able to properly care for my kids (as if they havent seen some strange changes in me over the last year) Im really at a loss here. Does anyone have any words of advice? Im hitting a meeting tonight in hopes that, that may start me in the right direction. HELP!!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Ash - if you're worried about withdrawal, regardless of the drug, I think the best, safest and most reassuring option is to see a Dr.

I know you'll find support here too - and please do check out the substance abuse form as well

D
Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I spend 15 yrs on Dr. perscribed opiates for pain.....Find a Dr. who ill taper you off them, it took me 2 months, every 2 weeks my dosage went lower. Some rough days and lots of cravings for more but in the end I went through about a week of headaches but that was about it. Good Luck! It's worth it..
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started with a hysterectomy at 36 then 2 back surgeries, unfortunately my children saw me withdraw a few times as teens, but when it came to me moving and not being able to find a Dr. in new city that would even talk to me about opiates 3 months ago, (I am 53 and don't look like your typical "addict"), I had to drive 4 hrs to see my old physician to taper me off. My main motivation was that I could not let my 5 yr old grandson see me go through withdrawals because I know what it put my kids through, twisted eh!...
Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're getting through this.

I also had made messes in my life and my advice would be to take things slowly. It may take time to try to fix things that have gone wrong, and in fact you probably won't be able to fix everything. Be kind to yourself and try to accomplish something each day.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by szavo View Post
I am almost 30 days clean of a 15 yr opiate addiction, physically most days are great but emotionally I am a yo yo!!!!Any advise:
Hello szavo. AA meetings have kept me sober and as sane as possible for nearly 23 years. NA may just be the ticket for you.

All the best.

Bob R (down near Windsor)
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

NA has been my ticket for stayin clean for 16 years . Alcohol and opiates were my DOC.

took me more than a few months to feel like my brain was calming down- and really, it took a couple years of clean time before i was like a fully functional adult [my sponsors might have a good laugh at that!!]

Anyway- catch a few meetings and see what you think.

I got me a hella big life nowadays... you can too.