OT Giving my two week's notice

Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

OT Giving my two week's notice

So I just had a meeting with my manager where I said I had other priorities now in the morning (my new design studies) and as there is no way he will be flexible (he denied my request to come from 7 to 4 instead of 8 to 5, I could have moved to afternoon classes)

I am giving my two week's notice today.

I have worked NON stop including weekends, nights, holidays or whatever for YEARS. Yet he says I have been "non responsive". Intermittent sleep issues, depression, lack of vitamin D...

I finally counted my extra hours - approx. 500 - I have worked for free for this company for 3 months. I feel ashamed of myself. What a doormat.

Anyway this also means no more interactions with XABF.

Finally, I'll be free. Poor but free. I will start looking for half time/weekend jobs. I have been insomniac many days worrying about this. But the signs God has sent to me are undeniable. I know this is not my place. I have been honest with myself and none of the IT jobs I have held have given me the satisfaction I seek.

I got a new chance to try for something different today. I am afraid but I am also excited. I know I won't have a lot of money but I don't care that much about material things. I can be a hippie and be OK. (A hippie that bathes)

Taking a leap of faith but very satisfied with my decision, I know I will be taking better care of myself, will be able to go to the gym more, and explore new things in life. I am already feeling a huge weight off my back. My plan is to finish my career. I will do anything to pursue this goal. I thank God for this clarity...

Thanks to my SR Off topic journaling I realized I have been miserable for a long time, my health has been impacted as well (mental and physical) and I also put a boundary where if I cried due to stress and never ending demands for the 4th time, I would consider quitting. This happened in Feb. and I am respecting this boundary so I feel good about implementing my plan.

On I go to HR to give my document.

Some might think I am crazy but I have learned to listen to my gut and my own opinion. Wish me luck
Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not crazy at all!! I'm so happy for you right now!!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Aww thank you SR friends, you don't know how much it means to have your support at this time.

I even got all teary. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((TC))) - YAY!!! You are doing what's best for you, and that's always a win-win situation, in my book

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Way to go! It takes a lot of guts to do what you did.

((((hugs)))))

Your friend,
Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, I absolute love (and am a little jealous of) your attitude - I could learn a hell of a lot from this. Well done you - how exciting. Good luck with your new adventures, although it sounds like you won't need luck, you are making all your own!!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wishing you LUCK and all the many many wonderful possibilities that are now possible for you.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you. Sounds like an abusive workplace, and you're well out of it.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

you said "what a doormat"...ah but you learned a valuable lesson here....not to do it again...and to stand up for yourself...that BOSS has no idea who is leaving...Karma is too good rite now...but i would love to be the fly on the wall to see someone else working for FREE

congrats...pat yourself on the back...what ice-cream?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am happy for you! How exciting!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

TC,

I'd wish you luck, but Girl, who needs luck when you are as awesome as you are?!

May this lead to the opportunity that your HP has been trying to show you.
:ghug3
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thanks friends I got all teary once again

You all get it. God bless you.

I don't know what my dad/sister will say but by now I have learned their opinion is secondary as well... *gulp*

Now that I am in the office, I saw an XABF's + GF friend and he asked me to go out one of these days. But I know anything I say will be broadcast. So unfortunately I plan to have a "headache" that day. I just don't trust anyone here... I used to be sad about these "peripheral losses" now I am just disgusted. Good. Disgusted is good.

I realize I replay abuse & martyrdom and my Art history teacher (YAY!! I study Art!!) recommended her therapist (its a therapist center). I will share a tuna can with the cats and get my butt there. I was giving the "I am broke" lack of money excuse but this 30 year life crisis taught me it was BS.

I am revisiting things and I certainly don't want to replay a loser attitude now that I am starting something exciting! I have seen some designs in fashion contests, the last year students and I KNOW I can do much better... I had already been part of a contest, I threw a male friend to a catwalk wearing my jeans and I got to semifinals, without any education!! I will be the next Carolina Herrera!! er... ok, that's a bit far but now that this matters to me I don't want to replay the same mistakes. Sheesh

I went to HR and the woman there was the one who hired me - I got sad - but at the same time I know they know my situation and understand. She said it takes a year to be rehired (many have gone away and came back) but for me they might do an exception... Thanks .. I guess. Hopefully I do not come back... but I appreciate the comment...

I know I will be a teary mess on my way home but I am also excited!! thanks for your support today..

Xoxo
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done TC.
Did quit a job recently. Working for free was irritating to me too.
Nothing like jumping off and flying solo.
Not easy, but lifesaving.
Delighted for you.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The boss said when I told him, "I don't know if we can let you go that soon".
Too which I answered, "I am not asking you, I am informing you."
Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Oh really Hollyanne? Are you also in a emotional rollercoaster? I agree its life saving. I could feel my soul quenched. Also noticing the people around me- geeks who LIVE for the job- no life at all-at least not the "succesful" ones... my own manager? works from 7 to 10 pm everyday.. and weekends... and no he is not a millionaire.. so not even "for money" is enough...

FINALLY I realize I AM ambitious, I was just not in the correct environment...

"I threw a male friend to a catwalk wearing my jeans" I meant "with the jeans I designed" ... not with MY jeans... LOL
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I just pictured you flinging your poor friend onto the catwalk with your jeans!
Naked and shoeless.
I actually got fired in October. Fired! I hadn't been there a year, but my mouth was too big and the owner had a tragic case of "small man syndrome".
Good riddance to bad rubbish.
They were reported to a state agency and because that day, I and another coworker had gone to them with those exact issues, they assumed, wrongly, that I had reported them. Then, they made some allegations against me which if unchallenged, would be career ending. I was overwhelmed but ANGRY.
Don't get me angry.
I was a great worker but I didn't like having to turn up early and leave late every day plus do the work of three people in a very stressful environment.
Long story, but after a chat with MY LAWYER, they gave me severance and backed off. I have identified my faults at work and working on them now. That was hard. My lawyer wanted to go further but I chose not to. It was definitely for the best. I would have continued longer. Sometimes that push is necessary, you know?
Then I took another job and it sucked! Working every weekend in a dump!
But, that was where my confidence was, in the dump!
I had to quit, recharge and go at it again. Getting back confidence and enjoying being a free agent.
Money? Shmoney! No way is money the answer.
We spend a lot of hours at work. We must be some way happy at work.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done...

Cyranoak

P.s. Your ex-manager is an a** clown.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yea! Congratulations!

Quitting my job to go to school full time was the scariest and best decision I had made in several years, at the time I made it. Now I have a new career and I job I love. The money isn't great but I like being there, I never dread going to work, I'm surprised when Friday arrives and I'm done with the week already. I wish as much for you.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Thank you BG, yes indeed now I am SCARED and now that I am in my last days in the office I am going "nooo!it was not THAT bad!!"

Just with abusive alkies, once you are done you are FOOLED thinking there were good things. Sheesh.

The good news is that I already have tons of homework so instead of worrying I need to get to work. And to seek another job...

I was thinking part of my lack of motivation is working just so some white guys get richer, perhaps my line of work in a NGO or some other organization would have more meaning. That will be the Plan B.

For now on I go to finish my first skirt, I almost cried when I sew it in the machine for the first time LOL. I was so happy!

BG I strive for the life you describe, that can be called LIVING.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

wahooooooooooo TC ~ sounds like you are living up to your name ~ TAKING CHARGE!!!

how awesome!
Congrats & my very best PINK wishes on your new & wonderful career ~ whatever that may be . . . the future is WIDE open for you!

PINK HUGS,
Rita