Notices

i am addicted to marijuana

Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation i am addicted to marijuana

It sounds stupid i know , i am addicted to marijuana and i need help staying off . Obviously i would not seek professional help for this issue that is why i am here . My whole family struggles with hard drug addiction and i want to be different , i actually merit myself on the fact that i only smoke marijuana and do not use hard drugs . But i am about to have a child and i need to get sober for a while .

I believe that marijuana has many mental and medical advantages and i know that marijuana is not harmful for your body . That is why its so hard for me to quit . I mentally know that i am not doing myself any actual harm by smoking weed here and there to relieve stress .

I want to be able to see my child's birth and actually enjoy the best moment of my life .

I constantly think about smoking marijuana , or getting a bag of it , my dealer offers to deliver to me but i just need to stay clean .

In reality its been about a week but i have scraped my paraphernalia to get the resin coated marijuana substance inside and smoked it on Saturday so i will start my sobriety count on April, 1st , 2012 .:rotfxko

Can anybody please help me and just tell me i am doing the right thing i really need help here , My friends and family all smoke marijuana , It was a big part of my life for over 5 years , i am a hardcore "pothead ". I own several bongs and pipes and i actually frequent a marijuana forum daily but its about time that i put this behind me .

Just so where clear, i have anger management and emotional issues on occasion and marijuana helps me greatly , i am going to smoke marijuana again i just need to clear my head as i havent in 5 years , and i want to get to a point where i smoke occasionally not excessively . I do not see marijuana as a drug , but the mental addiction it has on me is making me furious and i need to overcome it

i am not on here to be lectured or ridiculed , my aunt and uncle od'd by speedballing , my mother is still an addict to this day . i have suffered from a oxy contin addiction myself and was rehabilitated and since have not touched a hard drug , i know real drug addiction and in no way am i coming on here pretending like i am addicted to heroin or something i just need advice and support
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Marijuana is still a drug. I've been smoking this past week and haven't in many many many years before that. I've been smoking daily. On the plus side I am off the vicodin...but now have another hurdle.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

uhm....

do you really believe it's not harmfull...

or is it just an excuse to use?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you believe marijuana doesn't affect your body, you might want to read this, and there are so many healthy ways to deal with anger issues:

Fact: Marijuana is harmful.

•Smoking marijuana leads to some changes in the brain similar to those caused by cocaine, heroin and alcohol.
•According to Dr. Marvin Seppala, the Chief Medical Officer at the Hazelden Foundation, a prominent drug recovery center in Minnesota, "The younger people begin using marijuana, especially before the age of 21, the likelier they are to become addicted to an addictive substance. Their addiction is both physiological and psychological. Studies on the brain have shown that pot use alters the hippocampus and affects short-term memory. As an adolescent, there are remarkable experiences that contribute to growth. These need to be set down into memory—and pot use stops this."

Lung Damage

•Regular marijuana users often develop breathing problems including chronic coughing and wheezing. Marijuana contains the same cancer-causing chemicals as tobacco. The amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide absorbed by those who smoke marijuana, regardless of THC content, are three to five times greater than among tobacco smokers. Smoking five marijuana cigarettes is equal to smoking a full pack of tobacco cigarettes. According to the American Lung Association, there is 50-70% more cancer causing material in marijuana smoke than in cigarette smoke. In fact, marijuana smoke contains more than 400 chemicals.
•In an article in the Journal of General Internal Medicine respected scientists at Yale University concluded that smoking marijuana is associated with an increased risk of many of the same respiratory problems that afflict cigarette smokers including shortness of breath, wheezing, chronic bronchitis, coughing and phlegm.2 Researchers also found that marijuana smoking may also expose a user's respiratory system to infectious organisms such as molds and fungi. That's because many marijuana plants are already contaminated with different kinds of fungal spores.
•Marijuana proponents will tell you that bong water pipes will filter out these toxins. In fact, marijuana's primary cancer-causing tar, benzopyrene, does not dissolve in water. That means a bong cannot protect your lungs from this danger.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

im on day four now...

i've had loads of sweat...mild shakings....sleeplessness.....diarea the whole lot...
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me it just covered up my emotional issues so it seemed like it helped when I was high I was actually making things worse. It doesn't help resolving emotional issues at all. I think you need to realize this first.

And how is marijuana not a drug? I got high when I smoked it, and had withdrawal when I stopped. Even psychically the withdrawal was very real, probably mild compared to many other drugs but it's worse than nicotine withdrawal for me.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

someone from healthcare called MJ a killer in the night...

it messes with your REM sleep, causing you NOT to process emoties and such...causing you to stay stuck in time....

meanwhile the whole world is moving
Old 04-03-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am not on here to argue about the dangerousness of marijuana , nor to debate the fact if it is a drug or not . Was more looking for a support system in getting over my troubles .

I do enjoy being educated on any subject , So all of the following users who have responded to me have given me a surreal new outlook on the drug and i honestly do thoroughly appreciate the response .

But at the same time ^ i do not approve of wrong information.

Marijuana is harmful in many ways as is ANY drug . Caffeine , tobacco etc. .What i meant by marijuana is not harming me is that it is not physically or mentally affecting me . That doesn't mean that others do not experience adverse effects , but simply put that i DO benefit from its use .

Marijuana is known to cause cancer, because inhaling any smoke into your lungs is known to do that . Marijuana DOES NOT have more cancer prone chemicals then cigarettes , nor does the plant cause cancer itself . Its inhaling smoke that causes cancer . People who eat marijuana have no chance of getting cancer from the drug itself

They have also found evidence in recent studies that marijuana is found more resourceful then ALL adhd medicine for those suffered from the disease. ALSO the drug has been linked to prevent Alzheimer's by killing the process of decay in the brain . Also has been prone to stop tumor growth and cause leukemia cells to commit suicide . SO never mind the euphoric high marijuana gives , they have medical marijuana for a reason , it is a medicine to those who use it as that

__________________________________________________ _

BUT I DO KNOW I NEED TO CLEAR MY HEAD BY BEING SOBER FOR A BIT , BECAUSE IT WILL CLOUD YOUR HEAD AND TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT IN LIFE . I do not want to debate why marijuana is bad , or sit here and have it compared to heroin or crack . I Just want a support system and maybe a pep talk as to helping me quit .

There are many ways to deal with anger and mood issues but i found the easiest and most convenient for me was marijuana. And i am here not to debate this but to understand why i have leaned on this crutch for many years and to get away from it .

As most of you enjoy your glass of wine once a week after a long day of work , or with a delicious meal . I plan on enjoying my marijuana joint , but NOT if i cannot avoid using it uncontrollably.

And maybe after these next few months of sobriety i will never use marijuana again , but as of right now it is a big part of my life and i don't plan on giving up on it just yet . But getting clean for my child means more to me than anything .
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The last time I used marijuana was 32 days ago. And I feel extremely lethargic today. I just think about how lazy I would have been if I had smoked weed. I wouldn't have gotten out of bed before noon! Yet, despite my struggles (which are typically allergy related) I've been able to have a semi-productive day. Certainly more so than had I smoked weed.

I find marijuana's biggest downfall is how lethargic it makes you, and how it RUINS motivation. (And this has been proven.)

As for getting off the pot (HAHAHA!) I'd suggest taking up more physical activity, reading, writing, video games, sports, cards.......anything besides it! Just find other things you like to do.

Surely you don't JUST smoke weed? I do know some people like this though.

Anyhow, good luck combatting this thing. Pot is a very tough habbit to break. Reason being, because it's effects can be very subtle, yet crippling none the less.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by LaFlamaBlanca View Post
\As most of you enjoy your glass of wine once a week after a long day of work , or with a delicious meal . I plan on enjoying my marijuana joint .
Actually, we don't. Most of us here are addicts, and so we cannot enjoy one glass of wine.

But, I'm glad to hear that you're thinking of getting clean for your child. That would be great.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Double post. This thread is seeming to have problems.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

if you don't think daily MJ use affects your mind, then do a side-by-side comparison of something mentally challenging - both now, and then again a month from now after being clean. I like playing Chess. You can pick anything you want. But it needs to be something that even sober presents a significant cognitive challenge.

I think you'll be surprised.

As a former pot-proponent, I used to fall into the trap of overcompensating for tons of negative misinformation concerning the drug by assuming it to be harmless. But when you take an honest look at it, there are plenty of downsides. Just because it's 'better than alcohol' doesn't mean it's good. And let's be honest - thanks to pot's schedule 1 status and the resultant lack of research - there's A LOT we simply don't know about it.

But even if it was 100% harmless, the fact remains that you've become dependent on it to cope with aspects of your life. What the substance is, is really irrelevant. People do the same thing with food. Food's good for you... unless you're using it in an unhealthy manner.

Maybe you'll get to the point where you can moderate your usage. But I hope you get to the point where you look back on your pot smoking & ask yourself why you even bothered. A point where you're actually happier sober than you ever were stoned. I bet if you were to give yourself a few months away from pot, instead focusing on new activities, hobbies, & skills... you'd see you were.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

My stance is pretty well known

I smoked for 25 years - I ruined my life on pot as much as I ruined it later again on alcohol.

There was nothing benign about marijuana for me, or for any of my smoking mates who are still wasting their lives away in a smoky haze.

I understand tho that my experience is just that - mine - but there's a wider implication too for us here on SR.

I'm really glad you're here for help LFB and I'm pleased to welcome you - but lets please remember those members here who, whether themselves or their loved ones, have had really horrific experiences with marijuana addiction.

In respect to them, arguments and debates about the 'good side' of marijuana really belong on other forums, I think.

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
D
Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

I self-medicated with marijuana and alcohol. I got high. Have you told your OB-GYN you are smoking it? It is affecting your child. I also had delusional thinking as a means to justify my use. Here's a link: Marijuana Anonymous World Services It has information on detoxing from it and meeting locations.

Best wishes,
Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have not smoked pot in over 5 years but it certainly has mind-altering affects. I have many friends who smoke weed and I'm not here to judge you, but I think you're opinions on it are a bit distorted. Inhaling any smoke into your lungs on a regular basis is going to hurt you- cmon. Smoking pot is also showing a significantly higher risk of developing psychiatric disorders.

Listen, my friends who smoke have the same attitude about it. That it relaxes them, its harmless, etc. I say to each their own and I would be for legalizing it, but would I smoke it myself? Definitely not. It seems to be the ultimate de-motivater. If you are female I would highly recommend that you get off of it immediately as it can cause birth defects to your child.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
It is affecting your child.
Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Have you told your OB-GYN you are smoking it?
Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
I would highly recommend that you get off of it immediately as it can cause birth defects to your child.
I am a Male.

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
Inhaling any smoke into your lungs on a regular basis is going to hurt you
& i have stated several times that i am aware of the negative effects , the main one being lung damage .

Again like i have said several times i am not here to argue about the Positive/ Negative effects of marijuana usage . I have been admitted to in-patient & out-patient programs several times in my life . I am aware that this is a drug and the danger's of it .

Originally Posted by GrowingDaily View Post
you'll get to the point where you can moderate your usage.
I hope you are right .

Growing Daily, sugarbear , Anna & squizz I appreciate your positive response in my effort to get clean ! Thank you guys so much .
I have been walking my dogs more often daily to try and keep the temptation down to a minimum , idle hands right ?

Also,
I do not understand the response that i am getting on here from some users, i came here for AGAIN (for the 3rd time now) support . I appreciate all of your responses but just wish some of you would come down from your high horses and actually READ my posts instead of nit picking at the parts where i talk about how weed has helped me . I want to quit thats why i am here , I am not condoning drug use nor would i even imagine of doing so on a Sober Forum . But i didn't know i was not allowed to share my opinion on a subject in a thread that i created. It seems like some of you are more interested in the debate than actually see another get help . Thanks for all the response just wish some people would back off and actually l extend their hand so that i can too ride the high horse of sobriety .
Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sugarbear I appreciate that link, seems as if that website would be a lot more suitable for me !
Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

LaFlamaBlanca - I know you're here looking for support, but I'm not exactly sure what it is in particular that you're looking to hear. On the one hand you're explaining why marijuana is so great and useful for you (while also minimizing its harmful effects), and then explaining why you want to quit. If that's not a mixed message, than I don't know what is.

If it's negatively effecting your life (i.e. you at least admit to obsessively think about it) than simply stop smoking it for a period of time. If you're finding it difficult to do even that, then you might have to come to the realization that marijuana is a very real drug that is physically and psychologically addictive.

Members here are helping in the way they know how: by sharing their personal experiences. We're not here to tell you want you want to hear. Part of helping you quit is pointing out some misconceptions you may have about the drug, or expressing concern over minimization of its effects.

Either way, please try to keep an open mind. No one is here to attack or judge you. I wish you the very best in quitting marijuana, and you have a very important reason to do so.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"just wish some of you would come down from your high horses"

My horse stays in the barn. It is a very low horse and, due to the hazards of replying to this thread, remains speechless. It is content to munch on the hay, a substance which can be lawfully obtained and is not known to be harmful.

W.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

It's an informational link, not a forum or chat room.

I don't know where you obtained your "medical marijuana" information from, but pot can increase Adult on-set ADHD as well as increase one's chances for Alzheimer's. It does physically and mentally affect people and can inhibit motivation and the pleasure center of the brain. I know many people with Leukemia, none of whom have been prescribed marijuana for their condition. It's true medical use is for increasing appetite and to reduce pain for some illnesses.

For example, you are "addicted" to it. That means there is at least one person with physical and mental problems due to it's use. I know dozens more like you, they can't stop smoking it. A few now have cancer, including Leukemia, directly linked to their smoking of cannibus.

Best wishes,