Notices

For Canadians coming here new

Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For Canadians coming here new

To any newcoming Canadians...
Welcome to SR.. this site really is awesome, and congratulations on your decision to become sober and start a new Adventure/Chapter in your life.
Many people are going to argue my following posts, but I thought it incumbent on me to at least help you be aware of possibilities which can happen to you, as you detox...
Just a quick background on me: professional male 45, never had any driving infractions or impaired charges, never has any trouble with the law, never had any problems in the execution/deliverance of my duties in a very stressful/safety position. Yet I was a drunk..no better nor worse than any other.
That said, this site encourages the sharing of our ESH..thats experience, Strength, and Hope. My experience is as follows. I became sober New years eve, sitting on the couch with my son, ringing in the new year with hot chocolate. I experienced shakes, tremors, sweats, nightmares, the whole gamut the next few days as the alcohol left my body. As a precaution, I think it was on January 3rd, I was concerned about my condition, so I went into a Medical Walk in Clinic...this was the start of a very Medically initiated Nightmare. That Doctor, who met me 2 minutes earlier, tore a strip off me for being alcoholic, literally making me cry..prescribed a dozen Valium for me, and literally kicked me out the door. The doctor then proceeded to contact Health Canada, who have since messed with my life with a constant barrage of interviews, insisting that I travel 230 Kms down island for each one. They in turn contacted my insurance company, who quit my life insurance..apparently being alcoholic is worse than a drug addict, not really worth covering due to "continual inherant risk of relapse". The doctor also contacted via email the Supervisor of Motor Vehicle safety, saying I suffered from seizure, and they promptly cancelled my driving licence. This same said doctor never prescribed any anti seizure medications, and wont because i dont have a history of seizures, and Motor Vehicle is insisting on at least 6 months Anti seizure medication before they will "look into renewing the licence". For 3 months now, I have had to miss numerous days from work, since i work where this isn't any public transportation, and riding my bike takes well over an hour..in the rain...in very hilly terrain..
The Doctor also Contacted Human resources at my work, and my Officer in Charge directly. My boss had no idea i had a problem, but he is now well aware, because he has been forced to closely monitor me, to expose years worth of appraisals to Health Canada, Human Resources and his direct Superiors. I am pretty certain this cant go on much longer, he is getting fed up with all this as well..
So, that is my experience with the Medical Profession here in Canada. I wish I had merely continued to detox at home, and never, never gone to see a doctor.. by the way, i am completely healthy, i work out at least 5 days a week, etc...
So, for Strength, i hope you have the strength to endure all these possible tribulations if you contact any Doctors...I hope you have the strength to stay sober when faced with this myriad of stress inducers...if not, i Hope you dont have to go through this. I am glad to be sober, but dont be deceived..Alcoholism in Canada puts you well below Career Criminals..if I had an impaired charge, I would have had my licence back by now....
Old 04-01-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Sorry for your troubles, losteverything.

My experience with Canadian Health Services, doctors, etc., and my related alcoholism / drug addiction history is different. Not only did my insurance company know of my drug addiction to DOC ie alcohol I insisted they knew when I applied for life insurance back in 1990. I was already nine years sober. All they required was an AIDS test of course, which I provided, and I received the requested life insurance policy. Every doctor or health clinic I have been in since being sober 1981 has been informed I am a recovered alcoholic. Nothing has occurred to make me regret my openness.

I just finished two appointments this month in fact, and I of course stated I am a recovered alcoholic. No problemo.

I'm indeed sorry for your troubles. I've heard your same story told by others over the years...

I hope things can be sorted out ASAP.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

isn't big government health care grand? they do everything soooooo well...
Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My doctor has been wonderful. Congratulated me on my decision to quit, ran a barrage of tests on me to check for damage done. Proclaimed me to be in excellent health and encouraged me to stay on the path of sobriety.

It sounds to me like you stumbled upon a bad apple in the walk in clinic lottery. Your experience really does sound surreal to me - amazing and asinine and absurd all at once!

I wish you the best going forward but I really don't think that your experience is the norm. I'd hate to see folks decide that quitting wasn't worth the risk based on this.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No problem here either. Do you have a family Dr. ??

As R.R. stated. Stay dry and get these issues sorted out. This too shall pass.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Medical Walk In Clinics aren't where I would go, even in the USA.

So sorry you are dealing with this nightmare. Are there any legal resources you can contact for help?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a feeling this is likely an isolated issue to British Colombia. Other provinces have their share of drug and alcohol problems but they are nothing compared to BC, which is the Nations capital when it comes to things like this I am afraid.

I am sorry you were treated like that Losteverything, but the Doctor probably tossed you in with the heroin and crack addicts / street people / homeless that he sees on a regular basis. I would get back to the Doctor and sort this out, the guy clearly has you labeled wrong.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

No problems disclosing here in Ontario...I adore our health system.

I'm sorry for your terrible experience, Lost!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

That sounds like a terrible experience! But it definitely doesn't sound typical...In terms of the doctor telling your employer - are they even *allowed* to do that? And the Motor Vehicle department? Don't you have to sign some medical info release forms or something? Something about this whole thing seems entirely inappropriate/unethical. This walk-in doctor sounds like he has a personal vendetta against alcoholics. Truth be told, I've had many negative experiences (as have many people I know) with walk-in doctors, and now I avoid them altogether.

I went to my family physician who checked my blood pressure, ordered a bunch of blood tests, asked how I was doing, etc. He knows my family history and certainly didn't give me a hard time about it.

Again, I'm simply shocked that the doctor was able to disclose any medical information willy nilly like that. Do you have a family doctor you can see? And if so, can you talk to them about your experience?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

Originally Posted by midgetcop View Post
That sounds like a terrible experience! But it definitely doesn't sound typical...In terms of the doctor telling your employer - are they even *allowed* to do that? And the Motor Vehicle department? Don't you have to sign some medical info release forms or something? Something about this whole thing seems entirely inappropriate/unethical. This walk-in doctor sounds like he has a personal vendetta against alcoholics. Truth be told, I've had many negative experiences (as have many people I know) with walk-in doctors, and now I avoid them altogether.

I went to my family physician who checked my blood pressure, ordered a bunch of blood tests, asked how I was doing, etc. He knows my family history and certainly didn't give me a hard time about it.

Again, I'm simply shocked that the doctor was able to disclose any medical information willy nilly like that. Do you have a family doctor you can see? And if so, can you talk to them about your experience?
this is what confuses me. a doctor shouldn't be allowed to tell anyone anything about your medical conditions unless you let them.

sounds like you got a bad draw as far as the doctor is concerned. i am in bc as well, over the years i have been seen by 4-5 walk in doctors regarding detox and 3 hospital doctors along with my family doctor. all were understanding, non-judgemental and helpful to me.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am terribly sorry you have had to deal with all of this lost.

However, the doctor should not have disclosed that information. They are not allowed to.
As far as your license goes, for a medical suspension, there is a whole form that needs to be completed by a doctor usually, that is then adjucated by a panel that includes case managers, and health professionals..( it's considered a human right in canada...holy moly, I have witnessed a couple, one with parkinsons in her 80's, have a spell, go into the ditch, and then have her husband with advanced dementia drive them back with her giving instructions...and she still has her license!).....I have never heard tell of it being done through email, as a doctor would have to sign off at the very least. Also, they cannot dictate that you take medication. Although they have medical backgrounds, the case managers use the information your doctor provides...so, if your doctor says you don't need medication, then they should take that into account. You should be able to appeal that, no problem, as the proper steps were not taken.

I cannot stress enough that your doctor was not allowed to disclose that information. I have been on numerous sick leaves in the past several years that have varied in length and reason, but they are usually due to mental health, and a couple of times due to my drinking...and not once, has anything ever been stated than " off work for medical reasons".....in fact, I am just coming off medical EI for those reasons combined, and although a form had to filled out, again, the doctor stated " medical reasons". It is confidential, and that doctor could get into some serious doo doo for doing that.

I am really sorry you have had to deal with all of this, but I don't want anyone in canada reading this and being scared off of seeking medical help for their problems....as this sounds like extraordinary circumstances, and not the norm. I do hope you follow up with all of it.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ontario here.

I am posting because I don't want anyone to try detox without medical help. It's just too dangerous.

My AH tried to detox on his own at home. He seizured about 20 hours in, and during the seizure had a small stroke. An ambulance was called and he was taken to emergency.

At emergency he was shaking and bouncing on the gurney so much that even with the waist strap he could hardly be contained to the bed. One doctor asked if I was ready to take him home to have the bed available for "the really sick people" and I vehemently argued that I could not care for him in this state. Other than that asshat, the treatment he received was excellent and compassionate.

He ended up being hospitalized for over 2 weeks, had many, many tests including CAT scans, and his supplemental health coverage took care of everything over and above basic care. He did not lose his insurance, he did not lose his license and his work was not informed until he decided to inform them himself about his situation.

I think the OP's experience is not indicative of health care here in Canada. It does sound like a personal crusade (vendetta?) of that particular doctor. Please get some separate legal and medical advice.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a Canadian as well, and I find this a horror story. I agree it has to do with the Walk-in Clinic issue, I think.

I have a couple of drs in my immediate family and I have learned from them that people can appeal to the College of Physicians and Surgeons (for BC) in your case. You can request that the dr involved be investigated because he was irresponsible. Here's the link:

https://www.cpsbc.ca/
Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies....
Just to clarify..I did not fabricate one single aspect of the above post, it unravelled exactly as I have written it down. I had not seen that initial doctor before, he spent maybe 2-3 minutes with me..he didn't take my Blood Pressure, he asked a few questions on my alcohol intake, he blew up, kicked me out of the office, and began his emailing. My whole life medical record shows that I have never had a seizure in my life..I wasn't diagnosed with epilepsy or anything..and yes, the Superintendent of motor vehicles did cancel my drivers licence. No one has ever seen me have a seizure, but a simple doctors email was enough to take me off the roads...I have phoned repeatedly down to the office of the Superintendent of M.V, they deny repeatedly that my own Doctor has sent them substantiation that i did not have a seizure, that it was tremors from WD, that I am fit to drive, but nothing .... I might just lose my job now, as driving is a necessary requirement for my employment. See a lawyer? Saw several..none will go up against the word of a "Medical Professional".. and even if i find one, Supreme Court Cases are scheduled months in advance, and the cost well into the 10's of thousands..by then, i will be unemployed.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please Disregard this post. Its my own stuff I will have to find a way through, and it does seem rather pathetic and self seeking. I have to try to find a solution, and no, I have not been drinking over it..still sober, intend to stay that way. I wish just for once, just once, some good news or something good would come my way. Sure, sobriety is good, but i am feeling pretty beaten down and despondent..just being sober doesn't alleviate that.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by losteverything View Post
Sure, sobriety is good, but i am feeling pretty beaten down and despondent..just being sober doesn't alleviate that.
Are you attending AA meetings there on the Island?

Bob
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So Sorry to hear this Losteverything.
It sounds very unjust. Even if you lose your license in the U.S. you have a chance at a hearing, where medical records , or lack thereof, should exonerate you from the seizure issue.

All I learned about Canadian healthcare I learned from Michael Moore's Sicko. How come everyone is talking about "my insurance company". Does the national healthcare treat alcoholism and drug treatment?
Good Luck to you
Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

In Canada Government health programs cover the fees for most treatment services. That means there’s no charge, provided you are a resident of the country. We all have Government Health Insurance.

However, some people have private insurance as an add-on. For instance private insurance would cover for things such as physiotherapy, psychological counselling, etc. It will also usually include Dental coverage too. Also private insurance can help with the cost of some Prescription medication.