Notices

Looking for a Pen Pal

Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for a Pen Pal

Hello, I am posting as a favor to my son who is in a recovery center. He is 28, creative and artistic. He would like to find a sober pen pal. I know this is strange to go through his mother but I promise to butt out after contact is made. His letters will make you laugh and sometimes cry. He is a good man and deserves to be sober. My only wish is this is his last time in rehab. His name is Corey. I will forward him any responses. Karen
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why doesn't he start a thread in the alcoholism forum and put all his writings in the one thread. He'd be in touch with people from all over the planet. There are a lot of great people on this site that would love to talk to him.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Why doesn't he start a thread in the alcoholism forum and put all his writings in the one thread. He'd be in touch with people from all over the planet. There are a lot of great people on this site that would love to talk to him.
Yup
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope you are taking care of yourself first.

Something in the tone of the post makes me wonder, but I could be wrong
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The center he is in does not allow computers or internet access, only snail mail. He has 60 more days before he can leave. Creating a new circle of friends will be hard. I was encouraged to hear he wanted to find a sober pen pal. I didn't think that person would be as hard to find though.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your concern Dave. There was a time in my life that I was not taking care of myself, just him. I have seen him go through so much these last years. I detached from his pain to save myself. He has asked for my help so I have agreed to, but only when I have time and only if I think it might be beneficial to his recovery. I understand his desire to talk to someone who has "been through it".
Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was in a rehab for 90 days in 1989. The Home tried their best to minimize outside influence and keep us focused on what they were trying to teach us.
If your son is like me he has more than he can handle right now and does not need a "penpal" to further complicate things.
Did you ask the rehab if it was OK for him to get a penpal?

Wishing you the best, Mom, are you going to Al-Anon meetings ??

Bob R
Old 04-01-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This makes me think of the risk we take when we exchange personal identifying info with people online. Most likely they're great folks but there's always the chance of a maniac of some type.

I'd say let the penpal thing go for now and suggest it to him when he gets out of rehab. Then he could go online here and get support and information to help him stay sober.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with 2Granddaughters,

Cory's intention is great but they really do want to keep you focused on the in-house program he's in.

We'll be here to welcome him with open arms when he's finished. Please encourage him to come to Sober Recovery. It has been an amazing support system for me since leaving my rehab program last year.

And yes, friends from all over the world all in one place
Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Why doesn't he start a journal if he hasn't already. I found talking to myself explained alot to myself! =)
Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good suggestions, one and all. And the great thing about reaching out now is that you know where to send him the day he gets out—he'll have more pen pals here than he can handle! I hope that's of some reassurance to you in the meantime, Karen.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Where I saw support and friendship with a penpal, you all saw a drawback. I respect your voices of experience. I will let that request go unanswered. Thanks for making me see things from a different perspective.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm looking for a pen pal going through recovering

Originally Posted by Care4Will View Post
Hello, I am posting as a favor to my son who is in a recovery center. He is 28, creative and artistic. He would like to find a sober pen pal. I know this is strange to go through his mother but I promise to butt out after contact is made. His letters will make you laugh and sometimes cry. He is a good man and deserves to be sober. My only wish is this is his last time in rehab. His name is Corey. I will forward him any responses. Karen
My name is Janet I'm 32 I've been on methadone for 2 years until yesterday so today 4/25/18 is my first day sober. I have a hard road ahead of me. I looking for people to write dealing with the same.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jroyall09 View Post
My name is Janet I'm 32 I've been on methadone for 2 years until yesterday so today 4/25/18 is my first day sober. I have a hard road ahead of me. I looking for people to write dealing with the same.

Jroyall09, welcome to Sober Recovery.

This post (thread) is from 2012, you likely won't get a reply from the original posting party.

Maybe you could start a new topic/thread and get some feedback from current members.

Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Jroyall09, welcome to Sober Recovery.

This post (thread) is from 2012, you likely won't get a reply from the original posting party.

Maybe you could start a new topic/thread and get some feedback from current members.

Congrats on your sobriety!
^^^^^^ This.

Hope you start a new thread!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Janet!

You will find lots of support here. I hope you continue to read and to post.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Janet

D
Old 04-30-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rar

HI and Welcome to SR Janet.