Notices

Alcohol and your brain

Old 03-31-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Alcohol and your brain

Recent conversations have led me to research alcohol and the brain, and effects of alcohol abuse. The below article I found interesting and wanted to share:

How much can the brain recover from years of excessive alcohol consumption?: Scientific American
Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That article is interesting.
However, I think the biggest problem with my brain is the fact that I ceased to mature/grow up about the same time I started drinking.
I ended up in the Recovery Home at age 45 with the mental/emotional attitude of a 12 yr old...
I haven't had a happy childhood but I certainly have had a long one.
My brain works fine, I am a licensed plumber and also a licensed Electronics technician, but some days I don't have the emotional maturity of my 4 yr old granddaughter.

Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Bob R
Old 03-31-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Interesting, To think I was drinking from the age of 14 and getting totally wasted every weekend from the age of 16, amazing how the body can survive such an onslaught.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Was that the entire article?

I've read really good case studies and other studies on the NIH website. Of course the brain can repair itself (this has been proven in various ways with people who have had various disabling conditions and/or brain damage), but everyone is different!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hi everyone, and yeah, that was the entire article. I think you can find more - it was a study done in Amsterdam. They are finding that most, but not all, can rejuvenate the portion of their damage brain.

I stunted myself too. I have a hard time socially, and at work socially. I stunted myself of personal growth by drinking so much for so long.

I think the article and other research I've read explains a lot as to how I felt in the beginning days of sobriety. And I'm still in the beginning days! But the cloudiness has lifted. I feel much sharper, see things much more clear, and have more clarity in my life.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I have been drinking for the past 30 years and I agree w/Lost3000, the information explains some of the things you go through with sobriety. What is the NIH website?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

all the more reason to stay sober