Notices

Kinda know what to expect...

Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kinda know what to expect...

Starting over. That "one drink" sure was a reality check. I wonder what made me think that I am different, that I could handle that.

Well, at least this time I will have a better idea of what to expect. I have an idea about my triggers, however the "just one drink" thought ~ I just don't know what to say. I don't know that anything triggered that. I have created a list of friends that I have lost contact with as my drinking has progressed over the last 30 years and I'm going to start calling them, just to say hi and get in contact again with people other than my drinking buddies.

It is going to be a challange. My husband is my best drinking buddy and he doesn't want to quit.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah...That one drink will kill me...At least you don't have to keep trying that. How does your husband feel about you trying to quit?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He is okay with it. I mentioned that if I can't sustain sobriety this time I am going to look into a rehab. He told me that is fine, but he is not going to quit. I am okay with his choice. I may have to join Alanon or something like that. So far I have been educating myself on my own alcoholism. I probably should start reading about living with and loving and alcoholic too.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You should look into AA first....You could always pick up alanon later.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you have a little reading time....Read The Doctor's Opinion and Chapters 1-7...It will give you a good idea what AA is about.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish you the best akberry...I admire you for doing this on your own....Be sure and use this site for support...Check in daily....We'll keep you honest.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I got sober w/ my husband drinking daily in front of me. It was difficult, but not impossible. You have to do it for you. I knew it was hurting ME in so many ways.
After a month or so, he cut way back, quit for awhile. He still has an occasional 2 beers but not 3 tall bourbons every night anymore.
Who knows? You may inspire him.
Best wishes!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well said above, wish you the best
Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Akberry, I also live with another alcoholic. Hubby and I used to be drinking buddies until I finally got sober ... eventually, so did he. We are both on Day 26 today and it's amazing. I don't know what the future holds but I'm hopeful.

Even if he hadn't quit though, my sobriety would be totally on me and not dependent on him or what he does. You can drink right along with your hubby if you choose ... but you know where it will lead. It is definitely harder to quit when there is still alcohol in the house and your spouse is actively drinking, but it can be done. If it gets tough and if you ever need someone to talk to about this, feel free to PM me.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I'd start with living and loving myself, sober!

Best wishes to you,
Old 03-31-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks! I was able to be sober for 3 months even while he was actively drinking. I even went to the bar with him a few time and had sodas or water. I knew it w/be stressful to be in a bar but it really wasn't that bad. I am still mystified as to why I chose to hop into the bottle on Thursday after work.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this time will be your time akberry
lots of support here

D