Notices

I cant get past day five

Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cant get past day five

I can only seem to get five days in before I am back to a binge. Anything and everything I can get my hands on. The emotional **** that starts to come to the surface is hard to handle, but it seems everytime I get to that fifth day something bad seems to happen that throws me further down than before. I can't seem to find a footing. I know all the things they say nothing gets better with drugging and drinking. I know this but my emotions get to a really dark place and I just want relief at any cost. I have started counselling just I don't see the lady enough and can't afford to see her daily. How do you deal with all the overwhelming stuff I can't get a grip. This past week has been the second worst week of my existance and its put so much new **** on the table that I can not process the emotions it is causing. I just don't know what to do anymore.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tray an AA meeting...It's free and you can go every day.....Hang around with some sober alcoholics and see how they did it.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Tray an AA meeting...It's free and you can go every day.....Hang around with some sober alcoholics and see how they did it.
Works for this alkie here. give it a try, it cant hurt and I think its safe to say your way aint working. I know mine didnt.

Keep coming and posting.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally understand the emotional stuff coming back but burying it w/ alcohol only postpones the inevitable. At some point, you must learn to deal/cope w/ life. Or stay trapped in the prison of pain. I had to realize that "feelings" would not kill me, but drinking would.
I had to focus on staying sober. The feelings will eventually pass. 5 days you're dealing w/a ton of things physically, emotionally. Give time time.
Give sobriety your all. Whatever it takes b/c continuing to drink will only compile the problems.
Welcome to SR. Listen to those that have gotten through the darkness, it can be done.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand how you're feeling.

Try to deal with one thing at a time. Make a list for the day of things you want/need to accomplish and then cross off items as you do them.

I found that journalling helped a lot when my thoughts were becoming very negative and repetitive.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I found a new relief in the steps of AA. Some people work AVRT. Do something different this time around!

Day 5 is rough, but you will survive it!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
So it goes

Dont let the drink beat you at day five, it knows you are winning so is putting up a fight. Stick it out, you win.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I agree with Anna, journaling can be such a relief. Putting those feelings into words on paper somehow relieves the pain they cause. It's very cleansing. And getting things done is HUGE (Anna, you and I must be on the same wavelength ... I've already made my "list to do" for the day, lol). Keeping busy and getting myself out of my head helps a lot, especially when I'm doing things that are constructive. Today I'm spending some time with my kids and then doing a little spring organizing around the house. Not too much, just enough to make me feel like I accomplished something worthwhile today.

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to do something kind for yourself today too. Treat yourself to something you enjoy ... a favorite movie, a yummy treat, new shoes (that's my indulgence ), just something that will lift your spirits. PCL was right about us having to deal with our emotions eventually ... they don't go away. But they're just feelings and they only have the power we give them. The trouble with pouring alcohol on them is that it only gives those feelings MORE power.

Wishing you all the best. You can get through this.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

District 14 of Alcoholics Anonymous - Serving Springfield Missouri and the Surrounding Area
Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good you're still trying, keep it up.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freebrainplz View Post
How do you deal with all the overwhelming stuff I can't get a grip. This past week has been the second worst week of my existance and its put so much new **** on the table that I can not process the emotions it is causing. I just don't know what to do anymore.
Freebrainplz:
I am one of those alcoholics that needs AA. No "ifs, ands or buts".
All the answers you need are to be found at the AA meetings for $1.00 a meeting (and that includes the coffee !!)

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 04-02-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice