Time will tell

Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time will tell

My son has finished the application and is getting references next week to submit for a Sober Living Apartment style Complex. He needs the references from his counselor/Dr. and halfway house to get in since it is in a different county. 30-45 day wait to get in after interview and acceptance. He would be last on acceptance list as they take residence from the recovery program they offer first/county residences second and then out of area residence. But the references will be a plus they told him.
Good step to get back to "life" as he told me. The place requires full-time work/mandatory meetings/work on the housing area/community service work and job training assistance.
This has been a road with bumps and no doubt there will be more. I have learned a lot about myself also. Nothing is easy or guaranteed in life. Knowing that is half the battle. Time will tell on all this as it is one day at a time.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My fingers are crossed for him, and for you. He may have to wait but I hope he has an "action plan" to put in place while he waits. There is a lot of support available if they are willing.

You sound like you are handling this well, as long as you keep your own recovery and support in place you will be okay no matter how this unfolds.

Keeping you both in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Ann. I am not tooting a horn, jumping up and down, I am not basing my happiness on this, but I am inside pleased with his stepping forward.
He has been in a 1/2 house on a campus of a rehab/recovery facility for 3 months. He has been clean for just about 6 now. He comes home to visit once a week for a day and night each week. He and we agreed that he will stay where he is at till the opening comes available. He is back to driving (since he paid his insurance in full with tax refund) and doing daily things again. He is welcome to live here, Heck my house is about as sober as it gets but we all agree with him that being with peers, daily meetings, structure and independence is far better for all concerned.
No doubt a long road and bumps will happen. 6 months ago I am not sure if We or He ever thought he would be at this point in life. It was hard to see past the darkness. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll keep you and your son in my prayers. Its always nice to read when progress is made. It keeps my hope alive.
gentle hugs
ke
Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ctg, I'm so happy for you and your son. Sounds like real progress is being made, with a real chance for long-term recovery. You are so smart to be cautious in your own emotional response to this, though. I guess we learn from experience. So many times we get our hopes up, only to have them dashed when our AS relapses. We learn the importance and value of emotional detachment the hard way. Clearly, I'm still learning. Best wishes and prayers for you and your son.