ACOA Affirmation March 29

Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ACOA Affirmation March 29

Today's ACOA affirmation really spoke to me:

Today I feel a strong sense of self-determination.

I have a sense of self-determination when I am clear about what is important to me. I have control over my life when I set goals and see that I am working toward those goals by gathering the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve them.

The essence of feeling in control of my life comes from my determination, motivation and knowledge. I also know that in times of crisis, my inner strength is tested.

I will not spend my time trying to manage other people and events. Nether will I deceive myself by believing that I am in charge when I am controlled by how other people respond to me.

I am learning lesons daily about my inner strengths and self determination. I have weathered the storm of growing up in an alcoholic family. I have learned from this experience and have tapped the depth of my self knowledge.

Today I am taking control of my life, by learning the skills necessary for living a healthy, productive life.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This shows where I used to be in compared to where I am today. I used to try to get control of the world by trying to control the people around me. I have an addict mom & alcoholic/addict father. So, when I was growing up, my life was filled with chaos. I tried to fix the people around me in order to control the chaos. It didn't work.

As an adult, I have had to learn how to try to stop controlling the people around me. I've learned how to set life goals for myself. I feel very good about the steps that I have made in my life. Through working on my personal goals, I feel better.

Today's affirmation is a good reminder that I am not in control of other people. I can choose to not be the a part of chaos that is created by an addict/alcoholic family member. I do not have control over their actions or over the actions of the people who enable them. Some family members choose to be a part of the drama. I can choose to step away, work on myself, and to not take part.

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited by bluebelle; 03-29-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling