Notices

A Question

Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Question

My therapist has recommended that I go and get an evaluation for my drinking problem but I am concerned that if this might harm my future. I am in college right now and want to become a teacher. Is there anyway future employees could find out about me going to a addiction facility for a evaluation? If I go to a facility that accepts my insurance then I know that there will be a paper trail and I really don't want that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Maybe you could get a teaching application from the state and see what questions are asked. I could be wrong, but most job applications are "self-reporting" and wouldn't involve medical records (which you would have to give permission for, anyway).

The only time going to treatment affected me was after I got divorced and had to get my own insurance. I was told a private insurer would not touch me because I had been in rehab for alcohol abuse and for depression. I was surprised to learn that being treated for depression could disqualify anyone from insurance. But, I do have insurance today (through my state) and I don't regret the time I went to rehab.

I really can't imagine that it would prevent someone from hiring you, even if they knew. It shows that you're addressing the problem.....
Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

No they would have no legal rights to your medical records.

Good luck and keep coming back.