Notices

Decided to Start a New Path

Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided to Start a New Path

Hello everyone.

So my birthday was not too long ago and I got entirely too drunk at the bar that I went to. It was pretty much drink after drink, people giving me free shots, and me being an idiot. I was talking to some girls there and I bet I sounded like a complete moron. I was stuttering on the words I was saying (at this point I was at 9 jack and cokes, 4 beers, 2 shots of Jameson and 1 shot of Jack Daniels), lying out my ass to some girls, and I ended up dropping one of the girls I was dancing with.

Trying to recall everything from that night is a blur, but I remember enough to know that I hate the person I turn into when I drink. It's pretty embarrassing to think about really as I turn into a completely different person. It seems fun at the time, but when I recall parts the next day it makes me realize how big of an idiot I was. The night before that I drank a 750mL of Jack Daniels. Now that I think about it I have been drinking heavily multiple times a week for the past couple of months, don't know how I got to that point.

I first started drinking and smoking marijuana 7 years ago. I picked up chewing about 3 years ago. I have also done some things with harder drugs and also prescription drugs that should have killed me, there were times when I really didn't care if I lived or died and it showed in my recklessness with substances. I have been meaning to quit everything for a long time now but it's been hard. I had some pretty rough experiences with a woman that I loved for 5 years, it didn't work out so I turned to substance abuse thinking it would get rid of the problems and feelings I was having. Of course that still hasn't happened and I realize that I need to face this head on and sober if I am ever going to recover from it and live to my potential.

So I have decided to quit everything cold turkey. I haven't chewed now in about 48 hours, last drink was a couple of days ago and last time I smoked was yesterday. I have also decided to move to a different state. I feel like I'm stuck in a cage where I'm at right now and don't want to be around my friends anymore. I have relied on all of this stuff for a long time now, but I want to show myself and others what a little willpower can do when you want something bad enough. What I want is to be sober, happy, and fulfilled; I think stopping cold turkey is worth those feelings.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

winston churchhill said 'WHEN YOU ARE GOING THROUGH HELL KEEP GOING' i wish you every success. im 6 months sober and everyday is a new beginning . ive me wonderful people here and in the AA rooms.ive never been happier since i got help. go slow and keep the faith.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! So glad you've decided to quit. Life is so much better with a clear head!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. Its hard, so many thoughts are going through my head but I know I need to control them and myself. I really want to drink some Jack right now, every time I think of her I just want a drink and then when I do get drunk, I'm a wreck. Trying my best though.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR magpul

D
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome
Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you can quit everything cold turkey, you are a very strong person. I have tried many times, but failed every time. Keep posting, this interests me. Good luck!