Notices

Rehab talk

Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab talk

Most rehab is 28 days and they use AA program. AA is a free program and you can go any meeting in your arena. Do you think rehab is just a cash cow place? Meaning that they don't want to do any research or no ways to get people sober. Rehab is not cheap and the only thing good about it is that you can't use because you're not aloud to leave the please.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never been to rehab but I know from being here at SR that there are a wide variety around - there are rehabs that are not 12 step, and there are rehabs, like those run by the Salvation Army, that are free....

Rehab's not a magic bullet tho - nothing can instantly cure you, or make you want to get sober - we have do that bit ourselves.

D
Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't been to a rehab myself Action, although I was considering it while at my last corporate job. 30 days away from everything & focusing on my sobriety would have been good for me.

Then again I have learned a lot from my journey & experience. Congrats on your sober time Action, you have really made some great progress.

Keep it up my friend, I am so happy for you
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah...I went to a 28 day rehab...Detoxed for 5 days...Started my 28 day program....Was introduced to AA...Given a Big Book...Which I studied like a text to save my life. Was allowed to go to one meeting a day....Which I loved....At day 14 I wanted to go to more meetings than one a day and I wanted to get a sponsor and start working the steps....Because I knew from studying that book...That's what I had to do...They refunded my money for the the last 2 weeks and I left....Went to 2 or 3 meetings a day...Had a sponsor my second day out....Had worked the steps by day 90 and 9 months later I haven't had a drink and have no desire for one. The two weeks was good for me...I learned why I drank....A solution to stop for good....And a safe place to be while I came off the alcohol and detox drugs...The rest I did on my own....Why?....Because that's what I wanted to do.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Hi ACT10N,

I used to say, "what a racket"!!! If you are lower income the state pays for it. Imagine the young people that just keep cycling through, the addicts who cycle through 8x in 3 years? 8x1800? $14,400. The most times I have been told by my rehab mgr friend that a client cycled through was TWENTY SIX. I think we're talking a whole different world though, ACT10N.
You can leave any time, they call it AMA, 'against medical advice'.
A few good things are; 3 hot meals a day and I hear the food is usually good. A clean environment. A structured schedule, they keep you busy. Usually you are required to journal, attend and participate in various meetings, have one on one counseling, and exercise, and they take you out to meetings in the community to break out of that insulated environment.
So they give you the tools. You "gottawanna" use them.
Best to you!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Only one man's opinion, but rehab's every bit as good and secures the same high results as staying in your closet for a month. I'll rent you mine for half the price you'll shell out.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The intensive psychological counseling is valuable and not something one will get outside of rehab if you just do 12-step meetings.

I think though that the question is whether just spending a month or two in therapy really helps long term. To be discharged from the rehab I went to you needed to have a job, be paying rent, and have a sponsor. But I think having a therapist to continue what was started in rehab should have been an essential requirement.

Rehab is a bit like fast-food therapy. If you are hungry, McDonalds is better than nothing. But it won't ever be anyone's first choice.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the two huge things that rehab gave to me : A chance for a refuge from all my self induced insanity... and yes, that could have been just one more BS ducking my responsibilities but , for me, it worked.

And it gave me the opportunity to run with other recovering addicts/alcoholics so that i was surrounded by positive peer pressure.

Since then, i have been in urban areas where i think much of that could have been available thru strong NA/AA groups . It was definitely NOT around in my initial rural setting....
Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

there are lots of different types of rehabs. the primary benefit i see is medical detox and a safe environment to get a month of sobriety under your belt. the rehab i went to did take people to AA/NA meetings but also had classes on the medical side of addiction, nutrition, private counseling, group therapy. i think rehab is what you make of it. i've been twice and conicidentally the 2+ years of sobriety i have now was done without rehab.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My bf is in Florida right now in rehab for 28 days.Today is day 14. I spoke to him yesterday with the counselor there. He sounds great and has learned a lot. He was also taught he can not be in a relationship while he is trying to get sober. On the other hand I have attended Alanon and I have learned about co-dependency and I also want to take a step back. I was with him 2 years and really didn't know him (He was drunk 98%of the time). From this we have both learned about ourselves. So the whole rehab things you get out of it what you put in. My life is going on and I will attend meetings for me. Any of you going through this I would recommend Ala-non or read up on it there are many great books out there Co-dependent No More is one to start with it is great reading!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My rehab experience was positive but I was both "at my bottom" and ready to get well. There were people there who had cycled through various rehabs a half-dozen times but, they were young, court remanded and not ready.

Like Mack, I needed a place to step back from the insanity of my life and someone to teach me some new strategies. I also needed 5 days of librium to get through the detox.

Rehab's like anything else. You get back what you put in. For me, it was a vital necessity.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Rehab came into play back in 1990 when
I hit my bottom and took a hand full of pills
and my kids couldnt wake me the next morning.

I heard a faint ringing in the far distant which
was right next to my bed with my mother in law
calling to see where I was with my kids on their
last day of vacation bible school.

My voice was extremely slurred due to the pills
i took and that scared her, so she yelled at me
to get up. Which i did and went to throw up
what all i injested.

I was fine after that as moments later my
huband was trying to haul me to the hospital
to get my stomach pumped. I refused and fought
hard because i knew i didnt need to go.

However, family was worried and made calls
for help as to what to do with me as they were
never faced with such a situation before.

Calls were made and they were directed to
call authorities to come pick me up and take
me to a hospitel for evaluation on my mental
health.

That first night i stayed in a physciatric ward
with many mental patiants, but had a room
to myself. Thank God. When I saw all those
people shuffling the floor and hugging the walls
scared me to death and had thoughts that I
surely wasnt that far gone.

I passed all the test they thru at me the next
day and the only thing they could come up with
was that I had a problem with alcohol.

So rehab for addiction which was 2 floors up
was were I was sent. There is where i began
my recovery for 2 weeks. At the end of those
2 weeks i was to be let go but was told I wouldnt
stay sober on my own and wanted to send me
to a halfway house out of town.

I had 2 little ones at home and i begged them not
to send me away and i would do whatever i needed
to do to stay close. So they allowed me to stay 28
day there in rehab with a 6 week outpatiant aftercare
program tact on.

That was 21 yrs ago as i continue on my recovery
journey.

All i can say is.....i thank God for my intervention
and thank God for rehab. I am so grateful for
a recovery program that has saved my life.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Wink Time OUt

Hi Action,
The expense is way to much in many cases? In my case I am a Veteran and there are places located all over the United States that cater to us and are free. I remember shuffeling around in Pajamas for one month:rotfxko in 2007 and that is all I really could do as in my early recovery I was so aggitated by outside stressors(people) that I needed a spot to have a long time out. In fact, my focus was so deteriorated I could not read but they did offer crafts to complete. Mine was a soft doe skin purse I mad it and still have it today.
I remember that AA was offered there but I knew that even though many of my fellow patients were going as a group I was in no condition to think straight about anything. I began going after treatment and glad I did. Maybe the inpatient treatment is worth any amount of money to get a good stable start. That is where Bill W. and many others have had their spiritual experiences.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just want to start this talk because most people who go into rehab does not have the money to go into it. I just think we need to rethink of rehab works because of the low recovery rate after treatment.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
I just want to start this talk because most people who go into rehab does not have the money to go into it. I just think we need to rethink of rehab works because of the low recovery rate after treatment.
Whatever your method of recovery is with or without rehab....If you don't put in the honest effort to making that work.....It's not going to work.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Action,
for a person with little sober time we seem to have all the opinions. IMO rehab is a positive thing. In general it helps a person withdraw and gives them some dry time. No Rehab is the same. There are expensive ones and there are the free ones. To put the quality up one against another truthfully requires facts which I don't have.
I've been sober 20 years and lost my wife from this disease last year. She was 44 and at one time had 12 years of sobriety.
I've had friends live, die and locked up. Rehab just helps with a head start. Nothing more, nothing less.. IMO..
My own numbers is about 7% stay sober for good. I believe a little less in AA. It's not Rehabs fault or AA, it is the person who picks up the drink. Their responsible for those numbers and them alone.

AG

Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlwaysGrowing View Post
Action,
for a person with little sober time we seem to have all the opinions. IMO rehab is a positive thing. In general it helps a person withdraw and gives them some dry time. No Rehab is the same. There are expensive ones and there are the free ones. To put the quality up one against another truthfully requires facts which I don't have.
I've been sober 20 years and lost my wife from this disease last year. She was 44 and at one time had 12 years of sobriety.
I've had friends live, die and locked up. Rehab just helps with a head start. Nothing more, nothing less.. IMO..
My own numbers is about 7% stay sober for good. I believe a little less in AA. It's not Rehabs fault or AA, it is the person who picks up the drink. Their responsible for those numbers and them alone.

AG
Not trying to start a fight or anything but my sobriety has nothing to do with the research and data that a high percent don't stay sober. Asking the question about why is that is very important to me for my recovery and other people. I'm just saying.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You could also view that the other way around. Maybe the low recovery rate after treatment is because plenty of people in rehab aren't there 100% of their own choice. Or maybe they think that visiting a treatment facility means they'll be 'cured' after their departure, relieving them of the responsibility for continued diligence?

Just like any other business, there are going to be good & bad operations. But if you assume for the sake of argument we're talking about a 'good' one, I don't see how it could be anything but a huge benefit for someone self-motivated to change their life. So if you can afford it - great. If not - then there are other ways to skin the same cat. All you can do is what you are able.

I believe most programs would encourage you to pick up with AA, NA, or other such programs after your departure. So instead of gaining from one, you're gaining from both. I don't see how that could be anything but good.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Just like any service, some are better than others.

Rehab saved my life.....the second time around. First I did outpatient and stayed sober for 8 months and then off to inpatient and I've been sober since.

The rehab I went to was not a lock-down facility. I could have left any time I wanted to go drink. I didn't choose to stay sober only because I was strapped to some bed or whatever.

I only got out of it what I put in to it. I had to do the work.

Like anything, I don't think it's fair to lump ALL rehabs together as being either "bad" or "good". It's sort of like saying ALL men are a-holes or ALL girls like pink......total BS and unfair.