Notices

Going to rehab on Tuesday

Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to rehab on Tuesday

and I'm scared. Never been to rehab and don't know what to expect. I've been drinking 15+ years at a 12-18 clip per day. Detox scares the shart of me. At this [point I just want to get healthy as I'm sick every day without the alcohol. The shakes are just terrible in the morning without soon help. Any advice?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so happy that you have this chance. I know it must be scary, but I'm guessing that it will be fine. You will be with people who know what to do. Good for you! Good job taking control.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome LostinMN

Rehab wasn't part of my recovery journey but I think you've made a good decision to do *something*, y'know?

Hopefully others will be along to share their personal experiences soon

D
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Take advantage of your time there to learn as much as possible and really develop a plan for the future. Rehab was the catalyst for me turning my life around, I hope you find the same.

Welcome to SR, I hope you share more.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I just got done with 22 days yesterday. Not really advise but it was my second time through in 4 years, I plan to make it my last. I found it to be a very safe supportive place, both staff and especially the patients, some who became good friends. Try not to isolate in your room, participate in sessions and socialize on breaks, keep busy and productive, learn and laugh, be careful of the food we had a lolt of mystery meat drowning in gravy. I can understand you're fear that's natural but the real fear is in the drink or the drug. My best to you and your wonderful opportunity. I accepted my rehab as a gift.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Rehab was great for me. I actually look back fondly on my time there.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I loved rehab!!!! Try to have a positive attitude and listen and try to suck up all the good information.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostinMN View Post
and I'm scared. Never been to rehab and don't know what to expect. I've been drinking 15+ years at a 12-18 clip per day. Detox scares the shart of me. At this [point I just want to get healthy as I'm sick every day without the alcohol. The shakes are just terrible in the morning without soon help. Any advice?
Your experience will most likely be like mine. I did 90 days in 1989.

I was scared as hell to go in the first place and after the 90 I didn't want to leave.

I needed the "intensive care" of rehab to get me started on my AA journey.

Best of luck to you, you will be fine !!

Bob R
Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In all honesty--I was scared to death to go to rehab--looking back now--being clean & sober now for over a year, it was probably the best thing I did to aid in my recovery. I drank for 40 years (and mixed in some drugs here & there)--You will learn you don't have to do this alone. Yes, it was frightening at first--just like a lot of things that are introduced into your life. But with time, you gain comfort, strength & belief. You can do it...and you will move forward in a positive direction.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

rehab saved my life. im 6 months sober and i know how you feel. the first 2 days are hard especially detox but you will get over that.TRUST ME. one piece of advice is BE HONEST FROM THE START. no one will judge you or think differntly about you.

I wish you the best and be strong.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never would have gotten sober without rehab. And my counselor was exactly the person I needed. AND I might not have survived the detox without medical supervision. Spend you time there well. It was the start of my real life.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

OK tomorrow is the day. Not nervous right now because I'm still using. Insurance company approved the stay - whew. I let my boss know what I'm doing and wouldn't you know it he is a recovering alcoholic himself. Strange coinsidence. The biggest thing I'm worried about is detox. I've been using heavily for years and my body needs alcohol. Packing tonight and hopefully will post in 30-40 days a successful journey. Until then, peace out.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck LostinMN.
I am looking forward to reading your post when you get back and are sober!!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm going to rehab soon (as soon as they can find me a bed) and I actually look forward to it (but not the food, ick.) I've been trying to get sober since Dec 2009 with limited success. I am in a bad place life-wise right now so I'm grateful to be going someplace where I can't harm myself. Rehab isn't bad, you'll see. This is my second stint in rehab (AND MY LAST, SO HELP ME GOD.)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

best of luck LostinMN and you too NikkiDeaf
D
Old 04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The biggest thing I'm worried about is detox.
I detoxed for 5 days in my rehab...It was painless...They know what they are doing...It was like a good long much needed sleep for me....It's very calming to know you are in good hands. Little foggy when you get done for few days...But it clears. Keep your ears and your mind open when you are there...Learn all you can.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Luck as in the Irish saying. You will get through this with all the help you can get. And I will say it again, 'Good Luck'
Old 04-02-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Yes, good luck, luckily I didn't need the full blown rehab, just the hospital detox. I couldn't have done it without them. I feel better than I have in the past two years.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Rehab just may save your life, don't be afraid. I know it is scary at first but they just want to help you get better. Bob is right, after 90 days you won't want to leave.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

OK tomorrow is the day. Not nervous right now because I'm still using. Insurance company approved the stay - whew. I let my boss know what I'm doing and wouldn't you know it he is a recovering alcoholic himself. Strange coinsidence. The biggest thing I'm worried about is detox. I've been using heavily for years and my body needs alcohol. Packing tonight and hopefully will post in 30-40 days a successful journey. Until then, peace out.
You're lucky, the Home I attended needed me "dry" for a week before they would accept me.
All the best.

Bob R