Notices

Finding it hard today

Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding it hard today

Day 5 and not feeling so good today. Racked with worry that I'm going to lose some good friends who also are alcoholic or bordering on becoming one. Have surrounded myself with like minded people and scared of losing what has been my support and comfort zone. Also stopped smoking today so have no props to help me....
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and stay in today Jeni

There are going to be changes in your life - thats inevitable - but none of us would still be here if we felt we lost out by getting into recovery

You have a lot of support here - you're not alone
D
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi sweetie, all good high functioning alcoholics surround ourselves with like minded people. The two peole I've told so far about my recovery - my brother am my best friend - are both massive drinkers and both long-term drinking buddies. As well as my hubbie who has been drunk with me for 8 years. Every one of them has been massively supportive of my cleaning up once I told them. Now we're goin to have a different relationship, one based on tea and gossip and badminton. Life is about change amd growth. Some of these people will grow and change with you. Some of them won't.
And, hey, you've already surrounded yourself with new like-minded people, right? We're here.
Screw cigarettes. I did. They're stupid and don't even get u high- what's the point? Eat some polos. Wear a patch. Fck em
Will be thinkin about you xxx
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Coffee is my new crutch that and soda. eventually I will taper down on the soda ans start drinking my coffee more black but for now I don't care about all that until I get drinking or rather not drinking down pat.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jeni, I know where you are coming from. I have been sober for over a week now. I realise that all my friends and social life revolve around going out and drinking. If they are true friends they will stick by you. Some days are better than others but things will start to look brighter.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Though I have done both, I could not imagine quitting smoking drinking at the same time (let alone on day 5). I have heard of people doing it however. I wish you the best in your effort.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi Jeni stick in there as still says those around you who are friends will be there for you. My drink of choice is tea now I sulk if the restaurant only serves pg
Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stay strong, it gets better. Truth is as you make changes in your own life, some party friends may become more and more distant as your lives dont travel in the same lane anymore.

NOT TO WORRY...You will make new sober friends, it just comes naturally as you start doing things that sober people do. Take a class, join a gym, join Meet Up dot com and find some groups that fit your interests...

For me AA was a great resource for getting help when I needed it, and also a really great way for me to get immediately plugged into sober friendships/activities. I found I didnt miss the drinking buddies very much as Im busy with AA buddies nearly every evening.

btw - Kudos on quitting smoking as well, tackling both at the same time is one huge undertaking. Keep up the great work and plz keep posting!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is tough! All my friends and my drinking buddies & half my family too! Went to a family get together last night & the wine was flowing! I felt so quiet & reserved, totally unlike myself when I would be one of them drinking all night & trying al the different wines they buy....but I didn't drink! I got to see the sober side of how silly everyone got as the night went on. Now I know how my husband has probably felt for years watching me partake in the drinking with all of his family. My husband is not an alcoholic, he just doesn't care for drinking. I also watched 2 members of his family leave to drive home...somewhat trashed. I begged them not to drive but they are so stubborn! Part way through the evening, I left & went to an AA meeting down the road & then came back...that helped tremendously! I had 10 days & lost it and am back now on day 3, but just seeing that last night makes me realize that I need to find some sober relationships/friends.

Good luck to you & everyone keeps telling me it'll get easier...so we can be hopeful!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I lost my so called friends that truly only were drinking buddies. 99% never called to bothered to see how I was doing. I missed the scene of course of a little while, then slowly didnt. And today I just feel bad for those people and their lifestyle. I am so thankful I did everything that I have.

I have true friends now that we talk and all without having to drink while doing it. Hang in there and try to get to places where there is no alcohol and you will meet yourself and others.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Jen

Good for you on day 5. There has to be changes in your life if you are serious about quitting. You will have to forgo things that enabled you to feel"comfortable".

If you can stay off the fags as well,do so as one poster said that are stupid.

Look at it like this you are doing the best thing you can do for yourself and although you don't feel the best right now, it does get better.

Today I am 10 months sober and I can't believe how much better I am coping with everyday life without the booze.

CaiHong
Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Funny day 5 really threw a wobbler for me . Really polarised emotions. Day 6 piece of pi**.
Good luck and stay focused.
John.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It gets better.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think everyone worries about that Jeni but as others have said, true friends will stick around regardless. I think some people choose to not associate with drinkers too when they get sober... I don't think that's even an option for me seeing practically all my social activities take place in pubs (This might be a UK thing or a me thing...?), so I fully intend to keep my same friends and just tell them I'm not drinking. You never know, if some of your friends are bordering on alcoholic they may be inspired by your example and go sober too
Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Day 5 and not feeling so good today. Racked with worry that I'm going to lose some good friends who also are alcoholic or bordering on becoming one. Have surrounded myself with like minded people and scared of losing what has been my support and comfort zone. Also stopped smoking today so have no props to help me....
Jeni, you are just like me... all or nothing !!
If it gets too bad, have a smoke. You can deal with that later.

Are you going to AA meetings?

Bob