Notices

seeking help for loved one

Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

seeking help for loved one

Hello, I am seeking support. my husband is an addict and I have been enabling him for the past 4 years. I have been the only one working to put a roof over our heads and attempting to keep our family together. he has gone through detox three times but has a hard time fallowing through any other type of support system offered to him. we were best friends but his disease has pushed us apart. i feel like i am ready to give up on him but at the same time i feel like i haven't given him my all to help him though it and get the help he needs. my family wants me to leave him and have a difficult time understanding the situation. i also have three girls between the age's of 3 and 10. i feel so lost i don't know what direction to take. on top of his opiate addiction (Rx) he is starting to have a lot of health issues, overweight, depression, stress, anxiety. i don't know what path to take, i want to help him but i don't even know where to start. thank you for your time.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR.

I'm sorry you're going through that. You will find a lot of support here. Check out our friends and family boards for others who are in your position.

There is also Alanon and Naranon which can provide you support and help you with your recovery.

Best wishes,
Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here. You aren't alone anymore. I understand what you are going through and suggest Al Anon or Nar Anon. Children are often allowed. Sometimes they also have Alateen and Alatots. Call your local group by searching: al anon city state

I don't want to tell you my story, but my fiance changed from alcohol to food....long sad story. Maybe if you get help he will, too. At least you will learn not to enable him. There's a book called "Codependent No More" which may also help you. Breathe. Give time time. Prayers sent your way, too.
I wish you well and I hope your hubby finds peace.

Love & hugs,
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a tough situation you are in Rachel. Praying for you & your kids. I know for me, in my addiction, even though I didn't express it verbally, my self-destructive actions were/are my cry for help to my family & my husband. Addiction sucks and it consumes you. Can you get him into a detox & maybe a sober living home till he gets established? Maybe Alanon -for you? Just take care of you & your kids and if you can help direct his path to get clean & sober, you never know what God can do.

At any rate, you will find support here, I sure do!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just want to say thank you for your support.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
Welcome to SR.

I'm sorry you're going through that. You will find a lot of support here. Check out our friends and family boards for others who are in your position.

There is also Alanon and Naranon which can provide you support and help you with your recovery.

Best wishes,
This is really good advice. And welcome to SR from all of us hon. Will be thinking about you.
x