Notices

Today I pray and meditate... Who would of thought

Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Today I pray and meditate... Who would of thought

Good morning SR friends and family

As a person that grew up my whole life never believing in religion and such I didnt ever give much thought to prayer.And today have learned and been given a chance to change that. I didnt know how to at first and I was told it didnt matter just start trying it , and now I cant imagine life without it.

I love my morning now (used to sleep till the afternoon hated mornings and being sick) and would not get along without meditation and prayer. I awake and lie there for a couple minutes thinking about the day ahead. I consider the plans for that day. And then I hit my knees and ask my god to direct my thinking to the right side of the fence each and every day. And then it begins my day starts off on such a higher plane of humanity than it ever did. So I never would of thought I would meditate and pray each day or once for that matter, but threw the great fellowship of AA I now have a calm beautiful way to start each day.

Breath in the inspiration of goodness and truth. For the spirit of the four absolutes honesty,purity, unselfishness, and love, are available to all for the taking if you accept it wholeheartedly.

Today Smile cause sobriety looks good on YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Good love, Inda :bounce
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent post, i joined the who would have thought club awhile ago, getting up an extra hour earlier to read and meditate. Truly there is no better way to start the day.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"who would have thought"

Tell me about it mate, think its something to do with a spiritual awakening, looka my experience, i used to run around with a rifle for a living...then i ended up doing my step 3 prayer infront of the statue of peace on hove seafront! oh the irony! lol but ya know what...with a prayer life there is now peace in my head for the first time in years...

great post mate, best wishes
Old 03-26-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is both an inspiring and aggravating post for me to read. Growing up Christian (but living under the totally un-Chrisitan rule of my parents, especially my mom, I parted ways with my strong belief in God when I first moved away to school at 20. It was great for a few years. I thought I had finally ridden myself from the religious abuse and shame I had been subjected to my entire life. Now I could do as I please and only have myself to answer to.

Now I am 25, been on various recreational drugs for the past 3 years, giving it my third (and most heartfelt) try to find a way to get through life without drugs. When I went away to a treatment facility over a year ago I gained a connection with myself and my HP but prayer and meditation didn't help me. I prayed all the time for God to give me strength to get through the day, a problem, or to simply do his will and not mine. Read books, reached out for support, etc. Got to a point where I turned back to drug use because it was the only thing that had worked for me.

So here I am again, 3 days clean off all non-prescribed drugs and I find that no amount of prayer, counseling, reaching out, etc is helping me in any way. I just want to give up on life, use, get my instant gratification, and die. That saddens me. Deep down I know I have a better life ahead if I can stick to it, but I have considerable trouble taking things one day at a time or even a minute at a time. I'm praying with utmost urgency that I can receive similar benefits as have been mentioned in this thread.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

God saved my life. I still don't know what face to place on this entity, but that doesn't really matter. By seeking God, I've started to find myself. Prayer is now a regular part of my life.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thoughts Inda. I too am praying more than I ever used to. I was raised in a very strict fundamental Christian sect and my parents were over-protective and over-bearing so I totally rejected religion. Honestly I am still an agnostic and my concept of God is more, Fate/the Universe/human connection etc. but it helps me to pray to whatever is out there and to realize it's beyond my control. I have also dabbled in meditation and plan to do more of that. Best wishes.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Inda
Against the grain, and only doing it because Least said it had helped when little else seemed to, I started posting a daily gratitude and really thinking about it. It became a routine. Initially I had no idea why but after a few weeks it seemed to really help me. Then I thought it was working because it focuses me on what is right rather than what is wrong. More recently I have thought that really it is a type of praying and giving thanks to what is beyond us. it also counteracts my natural self centredness.

Wouldn't go a day without it.

In any event gratitude has changed my outlook in ways I would have derided less than a year ago.

I recommend it to anyone who is "dis-satisfied"
Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wanttofeelok View Post
So here I am again, 3 days clean off all non-prescribed drugs and I find that no amount of prayer, counseling, reaching out, etc is helping me in any way. I just want to give up on life, use, get my instant gratification, and die. That saddens me. Deep down I know I have a better life ahead if I can stick to it, but I have considerable trouble taking things one day at a time or even a minute at a time. I'm praying with utmost urgency that I can receive similar benefits as have been mentioned in this thread.
There must be something blocking you....Work the 12 steps...Find out what it is....I didn't know how to pray right or what being spiritually fit meant when I got into AA...Now I do...I worked the steps...I practice it...Spiritual progress...Not perfection. Try it....It works...Great post Inda.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well another beautiful day comes to a end.

Wishing everyone well , and lets enjoy the evening and do it again tomorrow.

Good night all.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well said my friend
Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

From the sunny side of our planet, good morning! Sleep well, we'll keep watch xx