Notices

Anyone else feel like...

Old 03-26-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else feel like...

Cigarettes have brought you back to drinking? I say this because during my 14 months clean I hardly smoked. Like, if i went in to town i would sometimes buy a pack and chain smoke while hanging out at the cafe.
Well, after I moved into town I started smoking regularly again, and it wasn't long before Mr. Booze came knocking in a major way. I think it's a 'one hand washes the other' sort of thing with me. Was just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed this in their own addictive cycle. I'm gonna give it up again, I have nicotine lozenges and they seem to get the job done. Have a good one all!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me they both had to go at the same time. If I smoked I would drink and vice versa. There was a bit I read in Allen Carr's stop smoking book that rang true for me...that he wondered if alcohol problems were actually caused by smoking, because after a while the buzz you get from smoking isn't enough any more so you start drinking more. It's different for different people but for me there was no way I could give up drinking while I was smoking.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Blowfish

My H has just said that since he quit drinking for me, the least I could do is start smoking again for him. Haha!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

They definitely go hand in hand for me. I had quit for 16 years while I was pregnant and raising my kids, then at a bar one night I got a wild hair and asked a friend for a cigarette. It just seemed like a "good fit" with the whiskey I was drinking. Lo and behold, almost 2 years later, I'm still smoking. At least I'm not drinking though ... and once I get a solid 6 months under my belt, the cigarettes are outta here too.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I used to drink thats when I smoked the most, now that I have given up the drink I can still smoke without it leading to me having a drink. Right now I am trying to deal with one addiction at a time. I hope to give up smoking soon.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Holly

Didn't you hear? Cigarettes give you herpes.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's a new one!!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried to quit both, but it was too much for me. I quit drinking and still smoke.

However, if I quit smoking I do not want a cigaretter. Isn't that weird.

I will quit smoking as soon as I have more confidence and time behind me though.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I don't see how anyone can honestly beat one destructive addiction, in the long term, while continuing to feed another. All you're doing, every day, is reinforcing the idea that you can immediately make yourself feel good with a chemical. Seems to me it's only a matter of time before you return to the chemical you loved the most.

Quitting for me is about learning to love & respect myself. And I couldn't do that while continuing to kill myself with another dangerous drug. For me, each 'problem' I conquer drives me to further self-improvement, and motivates me to take on the next challenge.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I am not drinking and still smoking like a fiend I also chew copenhagen so I have a constant source of fresh nicotien in my system. I think I agree with most of the people here though on one lever or another at least. I know when drinking I would smoke WAY more than if I was sober they do just seep to go together well. But at the same time I smoked in the morning but didn't drink, and I take smoke breaks during work and don't drink. So now I just drink my soda in the evenings and smoke a little less mind you but I still smoke. I am going to kick it eventually as well but for now like a few here I am concentrating on one thing at a time.

Originally Posted by GrowingDaily View Post
I don't see how anyone can honestly beat one destructive addiction, in the long term, while continuing to feed another. All you're doing, every day, is reinforcing the idea that you can immediately make yourself feel good with a chemical. Seems to me it's only a matter of time before you return to the chemical you loved the most.
As for this I dissagree. whatever way in which smoking and diping make me feel "different" or "good" I stopped noticing a long time ago. But with the beer you notice when you are good and drunk or even when you start to feel the buzz comming on. While I agree with you that they are destructive addictions and should be discouraged, I don't think that just because I smoke still means I am inevitably going to drink again. That argument could be used for just about any chemical we put in our bodies i.e. drinking coffee, eating sugar, taking anti depressents (I never have so I may be wrong here) makes a person feel good and are chemicals so if they do any of those does that also imply that one day they will drink again? I am not trying to be insulting just respectfully dissagreeing.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Insertname, I certainly don't take your comments as being disrespectful. You're welcome to your opinion. In the short time I've been here, reading views that directly contradict my own has proven educational & enlightening. I'm learning here - and your words & others help me to better understand both myself & others.

I guess what I really meant is that I can't imagine ME continuing to consume dangerous, addictive substances. But that's due more to the approach I'm taking addressing my issues. I personally see it as a matter of self-worth. If I care so little about myself that I smoke (with all its inherent dangers) then what's keeping me from drinking? It's just another way of killing myself. Learning to love & care for 'me' is at the center of my efforts.

And you know what - with all that said - I'm a hypocrite (lol). Because I did exactly that thing... I stopped smoking, cold turkey, for good... but kept on drinking. At least until recently. So I guess what I really, really, really mean is: This is the mindset I find necessary to maintain my sobriety, even if it doesn't exactly jive with my historical reality!!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember a guy said to me years ago.." I think I drank to smoke" I remember thinking thats odd...I didn't realize it at first when he said it....but boy do I get it now!!!! Cause I would not drink if I didn't have my smokes but believe me.... I made sure I had my smokes so I could drink! So yep I get it /:-0
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't really smoke (tobacco) while drinking but since I've quit drinking, I've been buying a pack every 1-2 weeks. Cigarettes are something I can take or leave, but smoking a cig while driving into work in the mornings is something I really enjoy.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

P.S. I still smoke about 4 or 5 a day but it does not make me crave drinking it was the drinking that I craved a cig. Hopefully it will be the next thing I can conquer soon!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

smoking and drinking went hand in hand for me too - I gave up both at once.
Nearly 5 years later it was definitely the right decision for me

D
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses. It seems that for some of us it works that way (hand in hand) but for others the two aren't so connected. I've made it through one day now without cigs, and two without alcohol. I'm using nicotine lozenges pretty constantly, but I guess I can live with that for now Cheers all!