Notices

learning how to cope..

Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy learning how to cope..

Well, I stopped taking pain pills 3 months ago, and I'm finding it hard to cope with everyday life. I thought it would be easier by now, and it's more than a little frustrating that it's taking so long for my mind to get back to normal. I have no urge to relapse, but I do want to scream really loud at times at all the wrong people..lol I now understand why people in recovery say, "One day at a time."
Old 03-25-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR justbreathe31...Are you attending any NA meetings?.....It helps to be around people in recovery just to share your emotions with...If not...It might be something to consider..And congrats on three months...That's awesome...
Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wwelcome to SR

Along with thinking one day at a time just breathing works well too ;-)

You will find a lot of support here
Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Another vote for NA meetings (and AA if you drank too).
The oldtimers there will help you a lot.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome justbreathe!

Congratulations on your 3 months - that's fantastic!

I think it can be hard for us to be patient sometimes (!)..... I drank for years and when I finally decided to get sober, I wanted it all over and done with right then! Someone here reminded me that it's a process and that helped me look at it differently.

One thing I'm working on is trying to stay in the moment (instead of carrying everything around in my head all the time). Making taking a little pressure off yourself would help, too.

When all else fails, there are 2 sure-fire ways of feeling better: finding something to be grateful for, and helping someone else.

Glad you've decided to join us!!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Looking back, I realize I never developed the skills necessary to deal with the normal stresses of daily life. Whether I started out that way & turned to alcohol to cope, or ended up that way in the end, I'm not sure. But I do know that if I give myself enough time without reverting to my old methods of dealing with life, I can learn to manage just like everyone else. And I am. Day by day, I improve.

Just like young children, we need to learn (or re-learn) how to handle the reality of life - that some days you feel good, some days you feel bad, sometimes life truly sucks, and some days it's great. We've spent so long avoiding these highs & lows in exchange for our chemical status-quo that we almost have to go through something close to childhood all over again to learn the skills most people of our age have mastered.

Just remember - depression (real, clinical depression) is a side-effect of your mind healing. With time, you'll find yourself capable of experiencing greater joy, and life's little problems will continue to diminish in importance. Don't let feelings of hopelessness overcome you. Remember that it's going to take some time for your mind to heal, and until then, you're going to be prone to see things as being far worse than they really are.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome justbreathe

I was an alcoholic, but I found my recovery had two phases...firstly stopping using my drug of choice - then the biggest phase - learning to live sober.

I had to make a lot of changes to my life and be pretty diligent about learning new skills and learning how to negotiate life's ups and downs.

Basically I got sober...then I had to learn to be happy and content about that

What have you done specifically about that second phase?

D
Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!