Notices

Just got a phone call

Old 03-25-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just got a phone call

From one of my "friends" who witnessed the carnage last week. There is a party going on at one of our regular spots, and I HAVE to come join him... I am only on day 2. Still feeling the effects of last week's binge, and he knows this... Why insist I come have a drink? I need out of this place
Old 03-25-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The "place" isn't nearly as important as your resolve to not drink. Wherever you go, there you are.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Say no and switch off your phone.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Why do you HAVE to go?! Especially after last week? Were you not feeling miserable enough yesterday? Do you want to feel worse?

Interesting you should mention this because this topic came up at my AA meeting today. There's a big event going on in town here this week (it's also a big drunkfest) and a lady in our group got a phone call last night from an old friend of hers who is in town for this event. They hadn't seen each other in years but this guy knows she struggled with alcoholism and has now been sober for 8 years. But he called her last night and wanted to get together for "cocktails." Are you kidding me?! What kind of friend stands idly by, watching your struggles with alcohol, AND THEN INVITES YOU TO COME TO A PARTY AND DRINK? I'll tell you what kind of friend that is ... that is NO friend. Anyone who has seen you suffer and does nothing but pour gasoline on the fire is no friend. Period.

Sorry to be hard on you, but this kind of crap makes me angry - not at you, but at people who claim to be friends and yet encourage you to keep drinking when it's clear that drinking has brought you nothing but misery.

If you're serious about getting and staying sober, stay home. Talk to us. Read a book. Watch TV. Do anything but accept this invitation. It will not lead to anything good.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunny27 View Post
Say no and switch off your phone.
I did... Still reeling from that call coz this same individual was telling another friend of ours how much he is concerned about my drinking
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noone else can understand our situation, or our struggle, like we do Ov.
You know tho - and thats the main thing.

I remember how you were feeling yesterday - I'd definitely stay home.
Are you feeling better today?

D
Old 03-25-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
Why do you HAVE to go?! Especially after last week? Were you not feeling miserable enough yesterday? Do you want to feel worse?

Interesting you should mention this because this topic came up at my AA meeting today. There's a big event going on in town here this week (it's also a big drunkfest) and a lady in our group got a phone call last night from an old friend of hers who is in town for this event. They hadn't seen each other in years but this guy knows she struggled with alcoholism and has now been sober for 8 years. But he called her last night and wanted to get together for "cocktails." Are you kidding me?! What kind of friend stands idly by, watching your struggles with alcohol, AND THEN INVITES YOU TO COME TO A PARTY AND DRINK? I'll tell you what kind of friend that is ... that is NO friend. Anyone who has seen you suffer and does nothing but pour gasoline on the fire is no friend. Period.

Sorry to be hard on you, but this kind of crap makes me angry - not at you, but at people who claim to be friends and yet encourage you to keep drinking when it's clear that drinking has brought you nothing but misery.

If you're serious about getting and staying sober, stay home. Talk to us. Read a book. Watch TV. Do anything but accept this invitation. It will not lead to anything good.
I'm enjoying the Arnold Palmer Classic with Tiger Woods in the lead. I am too weak to go drink anyhow.. no way I am going there...
Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Noone else can understand our situation, or our struggle, like we do Ov.
You know tho - and thats the main thing.

I remember how you were feeling yesterday - I'd definitely stay home.
Are you feeling better today?

D
Much better today, but still a bit weak, emotional and shaky... Mouth is dry and I am cramping up. But I am drinking lots of water...

Thanks for asking...
Old 03-25-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love watching Golf on TV esp. Tiger who is doing
awesome today. Yeah..!!

I always found a comfort feeling at home with no
alcohol in my inviroment and no temptation to
physically get to me.

Golf wasnt something i got into until I got sober
and I began to watch it and familiarize myself with
all the players. For 21 yrs now I still look forward
to watching a good exciting golf game on tv.

Stay strong and dont let those little pesky temptations
tap you on ur shoulder.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi.. so glad you are feeling a bit better and resisting the peer pressure. Keep that phone off and the water flowing 'till you feel stronger, then laugh when they complain about their hangovers (my favourite part!) bit off topic now, please feel free to be smug about it. I didn't know where the Virgin Islands were, so, being nosey... I google-earthed it. Wow... I believe its a place us in the UK call ..... Paradise!!! Take care :-)
Old 03-25-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Hi.. so glad you are feeling a bit better and resisting the peer pressure. Keep that phone off and the water flowing 'till you feel stronger, then laugh when they complain about their hangovers (my favourite part!) bit off topic now, please feel free to be smug about it. I didn't know where the Virgin Islands were, so, being nosey... I google-earthed it. Wow... I believe its a place us in the UK call ..... Paradise!!! Take care :-)
This is one paradise you don't want to have a drinking problem. Alcohol is CHEAP, everything is about alcohol, you don't get DUI's here, and you can party all through the night...
Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Good job stay home and get yourself better.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Zee

HHmmmm, you're right, you can only have so much of a good(bad) thing!

Then there's sunburn, big spiders, sand in your shoes... nah.. give me back the cold and rain and the crappy economy ha ha x
Old 03-25-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have two friends that don't drink at all. I found out about 10 days ago, that one is a recovering alcoholic, sober for 3 years. Before I found this out, and before I recognized that I have a problem with alcohol, I kind of "looked down" on them for not drinking. I feel so ashamed of that now, but I'm being honest and putting it out there.

I share that because I want to give you an example of ignorance. I was completely ignorant, and 100% believed that alcohol just makes the fun all the better, and they were missing out. I also felt bad if I got drunk/hungover the next day, and they had to witness me acting like a complete fool.

Long comment short: His "pressuring you" is more about HIM than it is about you. Listen to YOU. You know what you need.

Look at what you are losing by drinking. What are you gaining by drinking?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue View Post
I have two friends that don't drink at all. I found out about 10 days ago, that one is a recovering alcoholic, sober for 3 years.
Why don't you ask him how he stayed sober for three years...?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ovrock, you've commented before on the depression and guilt that the hangovers give you. Mine were like that too. The physical effects were no picnic either, but the dark emotional hangovers were....well, pretty dark.

You can remove this from your life. Maybe you'll reconsider the AA group... Just a thought.

Big hugs
Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by debsam View Post
Ovrock, you've commented before on the depression and guilt that the hangovers give you. Mine were like that too. The physical effects were no picnic either, but the dark emotional hangovers were....well, pretty dark.

You can remove this from your life. Maybe you'll reconsider the AA group... Just a thought.

Big hugs
I'll try ANYTHING now... This gotta stop. It will be about a week or so before I feel normal again... I am in real danger of losing my gigs, the public probably look at me as a bum, God alone know the damage I have probably done to my body.. Money going down the bottle. I'll try ANYTHING!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't keep saying you'll do ANYTHING Rock...Haul your ass down to a meeting and come back and tell us how it was...That would be some ACTION....
Old 03-25-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Don't keep saying you'll do ANYTHING Rock...Haul your ass down to a meeting and come back and tell us how it was...That would be some ACTION....
The first meeting since my binge was today. I play for Sunday Brunch at a restaurant, therefore that had to be crossed out. The meetings on Mondays and Fridays will be impossible to attend also because of commitments. So that leaves the Wednesday meeting as the only one. The local rehab has a group meeting on Thursdays at 11:30am, I could also attend that. Together with seeing my counselor...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ovrock View Post
The first meeting since my binge was today. I play for Sunday Brunch at a restaurant, therefore that had to be crossed out. The meetings on Mondays and Fridays will be impossible to attend also because of commitments. So that leaves the Wednesday meeting as the only one. The local rehab has a group meeting on Thursdays at 11:30am, I could also attend that. Together with seeing my counselor...
That's a start Rock...I want to see you get better man...I think you've had enough.