Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

For those alcoholics who think they can handle detox on their own

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know, several of us, have pleaded with people to be checked out by a dr.

I don't know of this man's past, but this is a thread from his wife...he died, detoxing on his own.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...m-tonight.html

I will continue to recommend getting professional help when detoxing from alcohol. Maybe some can do it, but do you really want to put your life at risk?

It breaks my heart when someone else is lost to addiction, especially if help was available and someone thinks "nah, I'm not so bad, I can do this on my own".

I apologize if I sound like a nag in encouraging medical help, but this is exactly why. I've seen it in my own life, even before my own addiction...when the first death I saw was as a nursing student and it was an alcoholic who waited too late to seek help. I'm not saying other drugs can't cause death...crack does, I saw it, I still got addicted, and I lost my ex bf to it.

I just wanted to share this, as there are many more people affected than just the A. Please...get checked out by a dr., be honest about what you drink/use, and do your best to not end up this way.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-24-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

and for OldRocker who suffered a heart attack. We mess with our blood pressure when we mess with alcohol for long term (and sometimes short term) use.

Please see a doctor before you withdrawal from alcohol OR drugs!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

As someone who very nearly died home detoxing - thanks guys

D
Old 03-24-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is scaring me now
Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry, it's not my intent to scare any one Ovrock - if you're concerned at all you can always call 911 (or 999 or whatever it is there) or get to the nearest ER, 24/7

D
Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Ovrock))) - It wasn't my attention to scare anyone, but to show what can happen. I know there are others, but ((Dee)) and I probably sound like nags at insisting on medical care while detoxing. (((Dee))) is living proof..he suffered some serious health issues while detoxing on his own. I have a nursing background, and I just want people to understand why we are so "naggy".

It's only because we don't want another suffering the same things ((Dee)) and others did, and the ultimate - death.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

A friend in a meeting slurs his words. Everyone thought he was still drinking all of the time. He finally told his story. He has about 10 years of sobriety, but while detoxing he had suffered seizures and a stroke, so this is why he slurs. Wow. We just didn't know.

I agree with seeing a doctor for withdrawal. No one can call for 911 once the seizure begins, you are out of your body and in it at the same time.

Always seek medical advice for stopping alcohol or drugs.

It's not the time to self medicate.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
A friend in a meeting slurs his words. Everyone thought he was still drinking all of the time. He finally told his story. He has about 10 years of sobriety, but while detoxing he had suffered seizures and a stroke, so this is why he slurs. Wow. We just didn't know.

I agree with seeing a doctor for withdrawal. No one can call for 911 once the seizure begins, you are out of your body and in it at the same time.
I have a friend in the program with a nearly identical story, and an acquaintance with a similar story and the last time I heard he was still hitting the bars!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You should be scared. I am currently on my 4th time detoxing at home. 2 of my detoxes ended me in the hospital. I am now on day 3 again and feeling the worst is over. I am lucky. Next time I probably won't be.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Computer Experiment..Gone Bad!

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
You should be scared. I am currently on my 4th time detoxing at home. 2 of my detoxes ended me in the hospital. I am now on day 3 again and feeling the worst is over. I am lucky. Next time I probably won't be.
Hi Soberred, I am through the worst on Day 5, eating well, drinking lots of fluids, taking vitamins and checking my blood pressure morning, noon and night. Should I still be SCARED?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't care if this thread scares someone or not...I'd rather see them scared and alive...Than trying this alone....Too many people die doing this....Most of them just don't know any better...The more this message gets driven home...The better. Great thread Impurrfect...One that should be bumped often.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BelizeDiver View Post
Hi Soberred, I am through the worst on Day 5, eating well, drinking lots of fluids, taking vitamins and checking my blood pressure morning, noon and night. Should I still be SCARED?

I am doing the same exact thing. I don't know if you should be scared. Everyone is different. You should talk to your doctor if you are concerned. I am not 100% sure I am out of the woods yet.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
(((Ovrock))) - It wasn't my attention to scare anyone, but to show what can happen. I know there are others, but ((Dee)) and I probably sound like nags at insisting on medical care while detoxing. (((Dee))) is living proof..he suffered some serious health issues while detoxing on his own. I have a nursing background, and I just want people to understand why we are so "naggy".

It's only because we don't want another suffering the same things ((Dee)) and others did, and the ultimate - death.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Thank you for posting this Amy. Alcohol withdraws are one of the most deadly. We hear about celebrities in the news but when we see these kind of posts about someone like us, it hits too close to home.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have drank pretty steady for over 30 years. During the last 10 years have amped it up to about 12 beers a day and double on weekends off. During this time I sometimes take 3-7 days off cold turkey with only having slight discomfort. I have a very high tolerance for pain.
Most of my friends that did quit entirely, did it on their own "cold turkey" without consulting a Doctor, no AA, no therapy, etc,. I guess we were brought up through life with the "no pain no gain" mentality. The smart ones that did quit, tell me that suffering it out on ones own gave them the clarity and understanding of what they had done to their bodies and lives and this helped them get through the process.
I agree with you that for most people consulting a Doctor before starting the detoxing process is invaluable and the best way to go.
Whatever works for each individual, please follow it! Quitting entirely, using the past as a reminder of what not to do in the future, and living happy and productive lives for yourselves and families and friends, is all I pray you all will recieve by getting there on your own terms. Best of luck!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I finally told my doctor the truth about my high blood pressure. It was always high because I drank everyday. I told her the truth when I decided to stop drinking. She gave me medication to prevent siezures, which I didn't even know could happen!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Computer Experiment..Gone Bad!

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
I am doing the same exact thing. I don't know if you should be scared. Everyone is different. You should talk to your doctor if you are concerned. I am not 100% sure I am out of the woods yet.
Thanks Soberred, I have talked to my Doctor and agree everyone should. I just thought I was missing something that should scare me "Panic Attack!" as I am about 5 hours from any ER, again thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

As someone who DID DIE, several times that day after, and having the ER Doc put the TOD on my chart and then my heart started back up on its own, I too beg folks on here all the time to NOT detox at home alone. See a Dr, be honest about how you drink and or use.

There are more members on here, beside, Dee and myself that came real close to dying and only getting to the ER saved them.

I am to the point, I do not care if others think I am nagging. It is imperative that we keep the message out there.

Thank you Amy for starting this thread. Detoxing at home can be deadly.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-31-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 03-31-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I am grateful for this post, even though I have always done medical detox. The first two I did at home, with medication prescribed by a doctor. The last one I just couldn't do at home ... I was already enough of a mess and I knew my only option was the hospital. Good thing too, because I arrived with a BAC of almost .30 ... But the hospital was very comfortable and I spent most of my time there sleeping. When I arrived home three days later, I was exhausted ... totally exhausted ... for the next few days, probably because of all the drugs they gave me to prevent seizures, etc. and from all the hell I'd put my body through. But after a week, I came out of it.

I'm so glad I did it the safe way (my husband detoxed with me, although he scared me because he wouldn't let the hospital staff give him any drugs ... he wanted to "remember" how hellish the experience was so he wouldn't drink again ... probably not a good thing to do, but he got through it). I would never want to go through it again, but at least doing it in the hospital took a lot of the risk factors out of it.

Thanks for this very informative post!