Notices

finally on the right road-newbe

Old 03-24-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finally on the right road-newbe

Hi all, I'm new here and to sobreity. I stopped drinking nearly a month ago. I've been a heavy drinker since I was 14 (25 now) but really bad drinking these last 5 years.

I have been reading many posts here and found them really inspirational and also some of them very hard hitting which is good and I've come to realise how serious alcohol addiction is. I just knew if I didn't stop now I would end up. ruining everything. Thankyou all already as I have come to realise so much in the past few hours of reading everyones experiences,pain and success. I never thought I would cope without alcohol but I've proved myself wrong. Just got to stay strong. X
Old 03-24-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome melissa86...Congrats on your month coming up and you've come to a good place for support...Are you working any recovery plan right now?...AA...AVRT...SMART?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks sapling! I'm afraid to say no I have no recovery plan or any support like meetings as such, I'm doing this on my own. I just decided to stop when I woke up that morning, not because I felt ill or anything, I just thought enough is enough.
Even though success must be higher for people to stop drinking with support, the benefits I'm feeling right now make me not even crave a drink anymore.I have found I am quite happy with my green tea lol. This is why I decided to join this forum because if I do feel upset or stressed I'll just come on here! Already my eyes have been opened.
I have to say my first week was tough! Wow all them emotions I'd been supressing for so many years just popped out of no where and I so realised why I drank so much now. Before I thought I just love a drink... But now I've realised it was a lot deeper than that, I was trying to self medicate. So yes lots of crying that first week! I feel like as I've got the alcohol out of my system I've also rid myself of the hurt, depression I was trying to blot out. If that makes sense!?
I'm so glad I found this place!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That makes total sense...I only ask because I never had any luck quitting on my own...Some people can do it...I wasn't one of them....This site is great for support...Read...Ask questions...Share how you're feeling...Something bothering you...It's a good place to let that out...If a drink is strong on your mind...Come here and talk about it first....We'll take care of that. AA is what I use with this site...If you ever need face to face support...It's nice to know it's there...Welcome to SR...Look forward to hearing more about your sober journey..
Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thankyou, that really is so lovely. And also if you or anybody need to talk I am here also. I know I never will be able to have a drink again but it doesn't scare me anymore. Thank goodness. I tell you I have an idea that my huge consumption of green tea has reduced cravings? I have tried and failed to stop drinking before but the cravings was so intense I caved in, this time however the cravings were nothing like before! And I'm wondering if its because I drink gallons of green tea now. Lol just a thought. I have researched this but found nothing. Maybe its a psychological thing. I do know my waistline has benefited though!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey hey UK! Huge congrats on your month hun - that's an amazing victory. As for support, SR works for me, an a lot of us, I'm incredibly impressed that you got through the first 4 weeks without anything

Glad yr here now, and hope the sun is shining on your corner of our pretty islands...

Still
Old 03-24-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankyou stillsleeping! I'm pretty amazed myself how I've done it. I don't know if its from some devine intervention.... Or something in the green tea I'm knocking back like there's no tomorrow!

The sun is glorious here! This will be my first summer of enjoying the sun and not passed out in a deckchair!
I do realise with the summer on its way there will be many temptations..beer gardens for one! Summer is quite sociable time in my life so this is where I will really have to stay strong!!! X
Old 03-24-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh I know it girl - getting drunk on the beach is pretty much the local equivalent of a cup of tea and a biscuit in this town it's like a local rule.

Hey ho, rules are made to be broken, right an I was born rebellious. I say bring it on!

Lovely to meet you xx
Old 03-24-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We don't have a beach here in milton keynes but there is this huge party culture with all the clubs, bars, cocktail places etc so I know what you mean! Atleast we will save our money aswell as our health! Lovely to meet you too Xx
Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Melissa and Welcome!

I'm glad you found us and that you have decided to post. I stopped drinking on my own too, and then I found SR a few years later. I have been here ever since. There is always inspiration here and good information too.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa86 View Post
We don't have a beach here in milton keynes but there is this huge party culture with all the clubs, bars, cocktail places etc so I know what you mean! Atleast we will save our money aswell as our health! Lovely to meet you too Xx
Milton Keynes, huh - yeah, club city. The beach is full today, we're heading down there now. H is drinkin, I am not...

Later! xx
Old 03-24-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks anna, I'm glad you mentioned you stopped drinking on your own too, its tough especially them first days! I found I was scared of evey situation! Even coming home from work because that's when I'd drink a lot. My family aren't very supportive, they are lovely people and I'm lucky to have them but they won't admit to themselves that I have a problem with alcohol even though I have been very open about it.
My grandma for example will insist on me having a beer, or a sherry when I visit her! I say 'no thanks grandma I'll just have a cuppa tea, to which she replys 'go on have a beer it won't hurt you' then I say 'grandma I'm an alcoholic!! Yes I can have 1 beer here but as soon as I leave I'll have a huge urge to go to the shop buy loads of alcohol and I will sit at home on my own and drink the whole lot then I feel even worse about myself and I'm back at square 1!' And then she usually replies don't be silly you're not an alcoholic! Lol I have to laugh really they are in denial about my problem but I'm certainly not.
So yes it tough on your own as people don't take your sobriety so seriously as they may do if I was going to support group meetings like the AA. But I soldier on and just refuse the drinks I'm offered and very quickly change the subject so I'm not talked into having a drink!!! X
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you to recognize the problem early on. You're so you g & have a full happy lifetime ahead of you!
I quit on my own also. Just realized alcohol would never make me happy & it was no longer an option for me. I read alot on alcoholism & joined SR. I've never felt do free & content in my life.
Alot of the problems I'd been drinking away came to the surface but I'm finally dealing with them instead of shoving them deeper into the pit of my soul.
Now I can handle things a WHOLE LOT better than before.
Congrats to you & welcome
Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome here, keep it going.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

As long as you don't drink more than 6 cups of green tea a day, there shouldn't be a problem. You may want to inquire about the harmful effects of too much!

Glad you are here! SR is a great support to have, although I find in person support to be beneficial for me.

I wish you wonderful sobriety!!
Welcome to SR!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thankyou all so much for your welcomes,
Sugarbear I've been drinking around 8 cups (big mugs) of green tea a day since I quit drinking alcohol! I never realised it would be so harmful, I'm off to research it now. I haven't felt ill except that first week of quitting alcohol.
Last night was difficult as I was so bored!! So I went for a really long walk and felt so much better when I got back. I never realised until last night how much walking helps.