Notices

Addicted to codeine

Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addicted to codeine

Somebody please help me! I have been taking codeine now for about ten years, on and off to be honest and never took more then 120mg per day which is good when I've seen people take as much as 600mg. I think I never took more just to make sure I had enough for the next day and so on. I have been about 36 days now without and I'm struggling. I don't have any in the house and I am starting to feel terrible. The anxiety is the worse, I feel so low and can not be bothered with the basic day to day things. I'm am trying so hard to act normal it is eating away in side of me. No one knows and that's why I am posting on here as I need to tell someone. I don't want to go to the doctor as he is a family friend. I don't no how I'm going to get through this :-(
Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Aimztime...Family friend or not...You should see a doctor...It might be good he knows about this...This is your life you're talking about here.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Talking to your dr would be a good idea.

Good for you for stopping taking the codeine, but I wonder what changes you've made in your life besides stopping taking the codeine?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome,, your doctor being your friend could be a blessing. Also have you thought about getting to a NA meeting to talk to someone.

You've made it threw any physical withdrawls now work on your mental.

Keep coming back and posting.

Good love, Inda
Old 03-23-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Alcoholic

Welcome Aimztime! This is a great place to start, you can get a lot of good advice here. I think you're doing the right thing by reaching out and asking for help... this was the first step I took in recovery. I can't say too much about codeine... but I know there are people on here who can.

Good luck, and I'm glad you're reaching out for help!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hiya Anna, what do you mean by other changes? I can't think of what I need to change apart from my addiction. I can still easily get hold of 30mg codeine but I have chosen not too. I have stopped, but can I keep it up, I don't know. Even when I've been through the withdrawl I would still have move and go through it again. I just need to tell myself NO! Maybe the other change I need is to open up to people. But then I fear that ruining my life!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Aimztime!

Congratulations on your 36 days - that's a real achievement! Have you ever confided in anyone about your anxiety? It's not uncommon for people who abuse alcohol/substances to have underlying issues that we try to self-medicate. Perhaps talking to your doctor (or a psychiatrist) would help you find some answers/solutions.

Glad you're here - it's pretty hard to try to stay clean without support. (check out the section for Substance Abuse, too): Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did mean to put 36 hours, sorry. I'm now 60 hours, feeling slightly better would still grab it with both hands if it was offered to me. I know with time I will feel better but I know having codeine will always feel better :-(
Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Actually, if you stick with it, I think you'll find a time soon when not having codeine will feel better aimztime

I know it's seems like a long wait right now but stay with it
D