Notices

How to find success rate for rehab facilities

Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to find success rate for rehab facilities

Hello, My son-in-law is 5 days without meth and is thinking of going to Astoria Pointe rehab in Oregon, and I want to find out if it is a successful rehab. Is there anyplace on your site where people discuss their experiences at specific rehabs? I cannot find any ratings on the internet for this rehab or for any others, for that matter. Surely there is someplace where I can get some information from patients who have been there. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Abby...I"ve done the rehab route...For alcohol...I doubt if any of them would or could give you that info....I can tell you the rehab whether 30...60..or 90 day programs are good for keeping you in a safe environment...Hopefully introduce you to AA or NA...And when they let you out,,,Back into the real world...That has a lot to do with the individual whether they make it or not....What you put into your recovery.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Abby -
I'm not aware of any place that might have that information, or even if there are any rehabs that would really know how many of their patients stayed clean and sober after leaving.......

There may be someone here who's attended there, but then again, I don't know if one opinion would help you.

Having been to 2 completely different rehabs myself, I believe they were both helpful and I think if your son-in-law truly wants to turn things around, he'll be able to get what he needs from the experience.

Hope that helps just a little!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I'd be wary of any rehab that has specific statistics. After rehab, recovery depends upon the individual. AA, NA, AVRT are successful programs which people utilize daily.

Rehab is a beginning.

I wish you, your son-in-law, and the family well. I do suggest Al Anon or Nar Anon for those who realize that alcoholism and addiction are family illnesses.

Peace & hugs,
Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I think most of the rehab facilities where I live will provide this info if you call them up. Have you tried that?

Rehab is great, but it's really only the beginning of sobriety for most. Your son-in-law can go to the best rehab in the world, but without a solid aftercare program he might as well just sit around the house for 1-3 months.

Don't forget there are also recovery options open for you and any other family members who are dealing with the fallout from his addiction. There is hope for you too in Alanon and Naranon if you need it.

Best wishes,
Old 03-22-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Oh, I almost forgot! There is also our friends and family forums here for support if you need it.

The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com
Old 03-22-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been through rehab a total of six times between 1988 (when I was 17) and 2010, from outpatient to impatient, halfway houses and sober living facilities. The only rehab program that I've seen claim high success rates is Teen Challenge, they claim over 80 percent although I have a very hard time believing this is accurate. Keeping in mind that they only count the invididuals that have spent a full year in their program, they obviously don't count the high percentage of people who drop out early. I've spent time there myself and it definitely was not a pleasant experience, although I'm sure it has helped many people. The name is deceptive because now days, I would guess that more than half of their clients are over 18.

I know of one person who went to Astoria Pointe and had nothing but good things to say about it. He has been clean for 7 years now. Obviously, so much depends on what you put into it. Staying clean while you're in treatment is easy compared to what you will face when you leave the facility. It's extremely important to have a good support system in place, in my opinion, that has to include either AA or NA. I've had close to a year of sobriety a couple of times and one thing is certain, going to meetings and being involved in the 12 step program is the key to recovery for most addicts.

I guess the bottom line is, recovery has much more to do with what happens after treatment and the support system in place than where you decide to go to treatment. Although if you are attempting to get off opioids or beznodizepines, it's important to make sure that at the very least, you'll have access to experienced clinicians who can help you through detox. I can't speak from personal experience regarding meth.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Abby - welcome

We don't have a section for rehab reviews or anything like that I'm afraid.
It's outside our mission statement.

If you put 'rehab reviews' into Google and including the name you're looking for, you might find something - but internet reviews are of course very subjective and always open to conjecture.

D
Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your help!

I appreciate all the responses--He has gone to the rehab. It. looks like he is temporarily safe for 6 weeks, but the hard part will come when he gets home. We are in a small town and the nearest Nar-Anon is 40 miles away, so I am wondering how he will get support. His brother is a meth addict and also lives in our town.- It is going to really be a challenge to keep him away from his former associates, like his brother. I will tell my daughter to check out your website because she is going to need a lot of support. The ones who have really been suffering are his 3 little children and his wife. It is so sad to see how it affects the kids- they are from 2 previous relationships and my daughter is doing her best to be a good stepmother but even at their young ages, they already have many problems because of the dysfunction of their extended family. They need a lot of help. We will definitely use your website for support and thank you again.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abby11 View Post
We are in a small town and the nearest Nar-Anon is 40 miles away, so I am wondering how he will get support. His brother is a meth addict and also lives in our town.- It is going to really be a challenge to keep him away from his former associates, like his brother.
Hey Abby...I bet he would go 40 miles to score drugs...I can't believe there is not one closer than that...You must be way out there. Try this site and see if you can find one closer. As far as his brother and his friends go...It will be next to impossible if he continues to hang with these people....He has some major changes he needs to make in his life...As all of you do. I wish you the best of luck.

NA Meeting Locator

P.S. You're looking for Narcotics Anonymous for him and Nar-anon for family...If I'm right about that.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
polyaddicted cocanut

Rehab isn't the cure... I thought it was but when I went they made me go to AA/NA meetings and if I didn't they would kick me out (and there goes my money). All we did in rehab was learn about how addiction works, talk about how we were feeling (most people were fresh out of detox and still dealing with withdrawal symptoms) and why we are feeling that way, or they were like me (outpatient, did not have to have a detox, but were still dealing with withdrawal symptoms) and especially cravings. We also talked about how certain drugs affect the body and learned how to recognize addictive behavior and addictive thinking. All rehab did was provide the foundation for me to handle the real world on my own. I don't think it's fair to look at success rates because it all comes down to the individual, not the facility. I don't go to meetings anymore (maybe once a month) but I could sure as hell use them. This site is great and it keeps me sober but I think meetings and a sponsor are much more important, for me though just the meetings and the sponsor didn't work out the first time, but this site has helped. It's easy for me to get behind a computer and type something out sometimes than it is for me to talk to someone. It also provides me with the ability to go back and access this vault of information... I learn a lot from the things I have typed in the past... not to mention I have 24/7 access to it.

If I had just known about AA or NA or this site I wouldn't have gone to rehab. But that's my personal story... some people definitely need medical and psychiatric supervision, and strict drug testing policies as well as therapy, which is what rehab provides (if they are a good rehab center) which has nothing to do with success rate. Their only job is to put the ball in your court, and it's up to the individual what they do with it
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The rehab can probably help you deal with what he should do when he gets out. They should not discharge him unless he has a plan for how to deal with his addiction when he returns to normal life.