Notices

need advice about husband

Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need advice about husband

So I have been trying to quit drinking and my husband, who had been my usual drinking buddy, has kept drinkin. He had recently cut down, and I drank over the weekend wiyh him znd had some bad consequences. We got into a fight (like we have been when wedrink for the past year or so), I blacked out...just ahorrible night. I explained to him for the hundreth time that I need to stop. I also told him that he has a problem, too ( we've also had this discussion a million times). Well, obviously he didn't drink that day since we were hungover. Monday he didn't drink. I asked on Tues that he not drink during our band practice and he agreed. Now on Thursday, he has not drank! He seems fine, not cranky or anything. He's been an at least 6 pack a day drinker since I've known him. What do you all think is going on? I'll tell you, it makes not drinking a hell of alot easier for me. I do think he may be smoking some pot, maybe during the day. He works from home, ad that would be a totally new behavior. He never drank during the day. I guess I'm looking for input. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you should focus on your own sobriety and recovery and allow your husband to do what he decides to do.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Way to go on not drinking! Keep staying stopped!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna and Sugarbear. I think he is really trying. He ended up going for a beer w/ our bandmate after practice today. I will keep the focus on myself.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is he keeping alcohol in the house?

I bet it is much easier when he is not drinking. My husband doesn't drink but I do know he smokes at night after I've gone to sleep. Once in a while he will do it during the day and I can tell immediately. I've made it clear to him if he's going to do that he needs to stay away from me b/c I can't stand it - he's irritating and seems stupid to me. Which is how I must have seemed to him when I was drunk.
He doesn't do it often so we keep the peace. I try to think in terms of what works rather than what is right/wrong according to other people.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

When I quit I told my boyfriend that I don't care if he drinks, but please do not bring it in the house. He said alright and we havn't had any problems at all because he hasn't even touched a drink since I stopped. He went with me to a couple of open meetings and decided that he didn't want to drink anymore because of the things he heard. He is not an alcoholic but a lot in his family are and it hurts him.