Notices

new to the forum and not real skilled at this..

Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question new to the forum and not real skilled at this..

Hello. I am a 42y.o. woman who started drinking pretty seriously at age 11 and haven't stopped yet.I've been through so many groups,rehabs,therapy its unbelievable.I'm bi-polar and I have M.S. which definitely doesn't mix with alcohol! I can barely walk as it is.I read in a thread from one of the administrators that it's discouraging to others to write about suicide so i won't, but i just want to say I'm scared and tired of this so called life. I recently read a book called 7 Weeks to Sobriety and found it quite encouraging and interesting. I actually even spoke to the author extensively.I have never had any luck with A.A.,etc. and this is nothing like that.I guess my question is, has anyone ever read the book or been through this program successfully? Please any response would be a massive encouragement right now.Everyone here seems so decent and kind. Thats what brought me here.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about it...Someone must...But I'd like to welcome you...I'm glad you're here.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MINEr

Hey ziney, I'm 42 also, and suffer from severe emotional disorders stemming from extreme childhood abuse, and am an alcoholic. I haven't heard of the book you are talkingabout, I took the AA route and am now pushing ten months sober. I do know many bi-polar people in the program, so I know it is possible to quit with that disorder. Even if you don't feel that AA is a fit for you, it can be a place to meet people who understand your struggle and can relate. I also worked a chemical dependency program through Kaiser which has been a tremendous help, but AA is my core program. I hope you can find some help and information here, we are in this struggle together. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ziney, I'm sorry I can't offer anything on the book, just wanted to say hi, and welcome and you're right - this is a really nice place. Hope you hear from some people who can help you out.

Still
xxx
Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Firstly, welcome to SR you will find a lot of support here.

Nutrition & vitamins are showing some good results for helping people to heal quicker & feel better. I personally had to quit using alcohol & make big changes in my life, thoughts & actions to make a real change.

Are you reading the book to help you to quit or to help you continue drinking? Its seems like some are using it for both.

Here is the Amazon link: Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seven Weeks to Sobriety: The Proven Program to Fight Alcoholism through Nutrition

All of the best in your recovery.

Cheers ~ NB
Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much ya'll! Just good to talk to someone honestly and want more than anything to be sober...
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The honesty and the fact that no matter how weird you're being no-one bats an eye = my favourite things about this place

If only there was chocolate...
xx
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ziney View Post
Thanks so much ya'll! Just good to talk to someone honestly and want more than anything to be sober...
That's all we want for everybody that comes here....A good number of us here have seen the damage alcohol can do first hand...
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ziney the suicide talk is the diease talking. The drug of alcohol loves to have your self worth right were it has it. I think I am familiar with the "Seven Weeks to Sobriety." Is is the one with blood sugar levels being tested every hour and supplements. I did do that once, but cannot remember for sure if it was that program or not. I too am an alcoholic 50 yr old female that has drank heavily for 30 years. Have done therapy, a couple of rehabs and various programs. I have no answers for you, but I suggest that you detox safely and then see if you believe you are worth it. You are and you can do it. I wish you luck and if you need toshare SR is a great place to do so. (())s the Lush
Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too have read Seven Weeks to Sobriety and I think it is a great book. Alcohol does a great job of robbing us of essential nutrients and vitamins. I highly reccomend this book but for me I attacked my alcoholism on multiple levels - nutrition, excercize, AA and SR to name a few.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh how cool! Its alot of money but it just seems to make so much sense to me---the candida for instance has always been a problem for me.I've also had gastric bypass surgery and lost about 240lbs! but my body is in horrible shape so I was thinking it could help me in that regard also. For once in my life, I want to be proactive,healthy and positive.If something doesn't happen soon,I fear the worst. I HATE being a drunk and just cannot figure out why that's not enough for me to stop, you'd think that would be enough but noooooooo..
Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ziney View Post
For once in my life, I want to be proactive,healthy and positive...
That is the place to start. I'm certainly no-one to give advice about real recovery, however, I do know much about the benefits of eating well and how taking care of oneself physically has far-reaching positive effects, on the body and the mind. The first step is to want it. You say you want it, I wish you the best in pursuing this positive direction.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Ziney!
I read 7 weeks to sobriety. It talks alot about vitamins, amino acids. I did start taking a multivitamin when I quit drinking. Alcohol robs you of lots of nutrients. I didn't follow all that was in there but I just began eating healthier, lots of veggies, lean meats, protein & started exercising, walking. It helped a ton, the first month of sobriety.
I was extremely depressed and anxious. I thought I could never stop drinking.
I found this site, found lots of helpful info.
Read the Big Book. You can get it online for free.
I somehow got through the first few weeks. I kept reading & posting.
I decided I had to or I was going to die. So alcohol just wasn't an option for me anymore. The first month was hard but it got easier.
My depression & anxiety lifted. Over 2 months sober now & I know I will never drink again. I'm in such a better place now.
All this time I thought I was drinking b/c I was depressed. Now I realize I was depressed b/c I was drinking.
I wish you the best. There is hope. You can overcome this. Keep reading, fighting, don't give up.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ziney

I haven't read the book, but I did want to welcome you to SR.

I have cerebral palsy so I think I have some small understanding of how difficult it can be to get around sometimes, and how even more difficult it is to deal with that, and how excruciating it is to add an addiction on top of all of that.

You'll find a lot of support and understanding here - welcome

D
Old 03-21-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

the steps of AA take action and work, meetings don't keep me sober. Have you read about AVRT? that is something that may help you if you don't work the steps of AA. Luck is opportunity meeting preparation....

You are worth living!! Something is keeping you alive, so now it's up to you to do something about it! Stick around SR! WE need you here!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplecatlover View Post
All this time I thought I was drinking b/c I was depressed. Now I realize I was depressed b/c I was drinking.
/\ This is gold /\

And also my experience.... how about giving it a shot with us... quitting drinking for a month that is ;-)

We are here for you
Old 03-21-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family ziney! Please don't feel frustrated or discouraged - you have us now - and we all understand just how you feel.

I haven't read that book, but I know I was very malnourished when I finally quit. My nails and hair had stopped growing - hair was falling out. I had a strange rash all over & was pasty white, bloated. Within weeks of quitting everything began to improve. (The B vitamins are supposed to be very important, as you probably know.)

I always thought I'd be losing something when I quit. My dear friend and constant companion - alcohol. What I gained was a whole new life, joy, and hope - I was finally free. You can do it ziney!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Ziney,

I don't have much time to write now, but I will send your a private message or post again on this thread when I have some time. (I have been gone all day and my dogs are begging to go for a walk, and everything else...you probably know the drill.)

I have depression and am an alcoholicaddict with health problems. Did you know that drinking alcohol makes most drugs ineffective? I didn't know that until I starting reading this forum. So I have been sober and now the drugs are working. Not great, but I can tell the difference. I was also thinking about ending it all when I was drinking, then realized, again through this forum, that alcohol is a depressant!!!!! Add to that all the problems I created from my drinking, all the bad feelings about myself for what I was doing to myself, and all of the phoniness and lies that I had to live with....well, it didn't solve everything, but not drinking made a big difference. I am seven months sober, and everything is not great - infact, I have never had more sh!t hit the fan in a short amount of time in my life. But I am grateful that I am able to handle it with some semblance of intelligence and logic. I can't imagine how I would be doing if I was still drinking. The one thing I learned (again through SR) is that I have to start living....stopping drinking does not solve everything. There are still bad days, lonely times, and moments when I get just downright depressed. But those thoughts are depression, not ending my life. Stopping drinking gives me hope and it keeps me thinking somewhat straight. Please keep posting and reading. Love and hugs to you. Elizabeth P.S. I respect your honesty, and your apparent drive to keep trying....you have been through a lot. Bless you.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi Ziney --

Welcome to SR!

If you have a history of depression/bipolar it is unlikely that just quitting drinking will eliminate your low mood, but it is almost a guarantee that you will not be able to beat it while you are still drinking. For me, quitting drinking gave me the opportunity to work on my issues and really get to work on my depression. I still have my ups and downs, but life sober is much more manageable than life drinking. I also was suicidal near the end of my drinking and I haven't felt suicidal once since I quit.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the book you mention. My experience has been that the best recovery program for you is the one that you feel like you can really embrace and that makes sense to you. Whatever program you work, your success in it is directly proportional to how much effort you put into it.

Best wishes,
Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi Ziney --

Welcome to SR!

If you have a history of depression/bipolar it is unlikely that just quitting drinking will eliminate your low mood, but it is almost a guarantee that you will not be able to beat it while you are still drinking. For me, quitting drinking gave me the opportunity to work on my issues and really get to work on my depression. I still have my ups and downs, but life sober is much more manageable than life drinking. I also was suicidal near the end of my drinking and I haven't felt suicidal once since I quit.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the book you mention. My experience has been that the best recovery program for you is the one that you feel like you can really embrace and that makes sense to you. Whatever program you work, your success in it is directly proportional to how much effort you put into it.

Best wishes,