Notices

Do I have to be religious to attend NA?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I have to be religious to attend NA?

Hey Folks...

I've been reading many posts this week about AA and NA meetings. My first meeting is this week. (NA meeting)

I understand that there will be "god speak" in these meetings (hope that didn't offend anyone) I was raised as a Catholic but I'm not practicing. I believe in evolution, however, I respect people who have faith and would never ever put anyone down for their religious beliefs.

It won't make me uncomfortable at all because I've been around religion my whole life (my mom is a super catholic) however, I'm not looking to be converted. I just need some extra support in my recovery.

My post is not meant to offend anyone I'm just curious if there are people like me out there? (not religious) Do you think I'm going to the wrong place for support? Are there any other options I should consider?

I know my SR friends on this site have much more experience then I do and I'm just looking for some direction.

Cheers
Olivia
Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nobody wants to convert you...They want to get you sober and happy for good...You can pick anything you want for your Higher Power...I listened to a guy yesterday with 22 years sober and the only thing he had faith in when he got there was that the group of people in his meeting could get him sober...That was his Higher Power...He worked the steps....and he isn't drinking today.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

There's an informal "NA" section here on SR: Narcotics Addiction-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

That question would BEST be asked there as that's where most of the solid NA folks......ppl with good sobriety and experience in NA hang out.

That said.....NA is loosely based upon AA's program (which I'm in) so I can say, NO.......you don't need to be religious at ALL. Zip......nada......zero........period.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok thanks guys.. I agree with sapling too, your higher power can be whatever you want it to be, as long as your working towards your recovery.

As usual you guys ROCK!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

NA and AA are not religious, they are though based on a "spiritual" concept (a God as you understand him)

Nothing to fear at all, Olivia, you'll do fine. Just try to keep an open mind and identify with the oldtimers and their stories.

Have you read AA's "How It Works" ??

All the best.

Bob R. (near Windsor)
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Olivia

I have been doing NA for over 16 yrs now. "agnostic buddhist" might be the best description of my Way. [and BTW, I am a hardcore evolutionist]

The overt judaic christian terms can be offputting-in the historical context, they are not surprising. Still, many of us have been able to see the next layer - to understand that we needed a transpersonal power to sustain a fundamental change in our psychology - and 12 steps are often the only "program" to get that insight. For me it was AA /NA that brought me recovery - so 16 yrs later, it is still what i do. [mostly NA now]

Spirituality doesn't speak to everybody- it just seems that it has a track record in allowing hopeless dope fiends to become dopeless hope fiends.

So- maybe you are looking for a meeting like my NA home group- Wiccan, Hindu, Bhuddist, agnostic/atheist, Jewish, native American.... no christians [yet]. update: i think a Christian woman attended last night....
Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I think you will be accepted with open arms and I don't think anyone's going to try and convert you.

BTW, Christianity and evolution are not mutually exclusive, I do have a number of Christian friends who also believe in evolution. It's beside the point, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Best wishes in your sober journey!