Notices

Help :(

Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help :(

I'm having depressed/anxious thoughts and feelings for the first time in months. I thought these feelings were due to drinking but I haven't been drinking for over four months.

I think a big part of it is realizing that not only am I an alcoholic, I'm just plain crazy! I just finished my first step in AA, and I realized that a lot of my emotional issues and bad decisions/character defaults or what have you came before I started drinking heavily, and then the alcohol just made everything worse... kind of a chicken-and-the-egg cycle thing.

I guess my fear is that whether I drink or not, I will always be a bit "off" and "crazy." And that without alcohol I don't have a coping mechanism. I am wondering if this is my mind trying to drive me back to drink. As many of you know I've been having a bunch of issues with my boyfriend's drinking and just my lifestyle in general... I'm trying so hard to change things but sometimes I just feel disconnected and out of touch with reality and with my friends etc. I feel isolated and different I guess.

I also worry because I don't have health insurance that covers mental health issues anymore, so I start to freak out that if I need to go to counseling or take anti-depressants etc, I won't be able to. I was having thoughts last night like "life is pointless" and "I am just a screw-up and I will always be a screw-up"... that made it really hard to get to sleep.

I'm just so bummed because probably the biggest reason I stopped drinking was because I was having thoughts like this... and now here they are again, even though I'm not drinking and I'm trying to do recovery work.

I don't understand what's going on. Could this be late-onset PAWS?? My mind trying to get me to relapse? Or am I just doomed to craziness forever?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

PAWS can last up to 2 years. My rehab suggested it lasts one month for every year of using. Whatever, that is irrelevant. Have you called your sponsor? Talked to anyone in the program to vent? Pray or meditate. Get to a meeting.

You are normal, Pigtails! What went up, must come down, and even though you have 4 months, you are on step 1. I don't want to rush you, but it's in the steps 4-9 that change takes place. I'm not there to talk with you in person, but but but....really, it's in continuing the step work. This anxiety is normal, I must repeat it. Your sponsor is there to guide you through the steps. You've had so much change in your life...

My only real suggestion is to work those steps like your life depends on it so you can get relief and freedom. You deserve it. Can you work on the next step with your sponsor? I know it's not a timeline thing.... or listen to Clarence S. or Sandy B. or any speaker tape from someone who has worked those steps and listen closely.

Try helping a newcomer so you can get out of your head. It does help. Keep moving forward! You can get through these feelings.

Hugs,
Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol was my solution, now I know there's a new solution in working the steps and having a belief in a power greater than myself.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
PAWS can last up to 2 years. My rehab suggested it lasts one month for every year of using. Whatever, that is irrelevant. Have you called your sponsor? Talked to anyone in the program to vent? Pray or meditate. Get to a meeting.

You are normal, Pigtails! What went up, must come down, and even though you have 4 months, you are on step 1. I don't want to rush you, but it's in the steps 4-9 that change takes place. I'm not there to talk with you in person, but but but....really, it's in continuing the step work. This anxiety is normal, I must repeat it. Your sponsor is there to guide you through the steps. You've had so much change in your life...

My only real suggestion is to work those steps like your life depends on it so you can get relief and freedom. You deserve it. Can you work on the next step with your sponsor? I know it's not a timeline thing.... or listen to Clarence S. or Sandy B. or any speaker tape from someone who has worked those steps and listen closely.

Try helping a newcomer so you can get out of your head. It does help. Keep moving forward! You can get through these feelings.

Hugs,
Thank you for this. I feel like a lot of my anxiety comes from working the steps, if that makes sense?? Like, it opens up my eyes to how deep everything is and how far I have to go. (And this is only on Step 1!!!) I guess for me it is easier to just ignore it, but apparently I can't do that. Tonight after work I'm going to an AA meeting and then my sponsor and I are meeting to continue on to Step 2. That should really help. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

It's at step 5 where things really change. I am grateful I worked the steps quickly this time through. I was kept on the "slow road" in my past and always went back out drinking. This time I worked the 12 steps through and the relief was so amazing! I had a new solution and no anxiety since then. Just my experience. Yes, the steps stir up stuff, which is why we get through them. "Having had a spiritual experience, as a result of these (12) steps...."
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's at step 5 where things really change. I am grateful I worked the steps quickly this time through. I was kept on the "slow road" in my past and always went back out drinking. This time I worked the 12 steps through and the relief was so amazing! I had a new solution and no anxiety since then. Just my experience. Yes, the steps stir up stuff, which is why we get through them. "Having had a spiritual experience, as a result of these (12) steps...."
Okay. I will ask my sponsor to speed it up, realizing this means I'll have to speed up my own work on my end. I took forever to get through the first step... at first I thought I enjoy working on things slowly, thinking about a lot of things and journaling etc... but it also may have been a stall tactic out of fear. Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm not trying to undermine your sponsor in any way or force you into anything; I just know that in 25 years of not working the steps led me to 10 months ago when I did work the steps, not understanding much, but doing it anyway.

In working step 3, I took the plunge and during step 4, was reminded that if I were serious about step 3, the fears were being taken care of. My HP hasn't let me down to this day.

My first 3 steps were through discussion, so right here our sponsors' ways are different....I wrote for step 4 and 8 and some notes on 9 after another lengthy discussion with sponsor like in step 5.

Again, everyone is different, and my sponsor claims that they don't do much other than share their experience before and after much meditation and prayer throughout our discussion(s); (I could see that, although they were trying to be subtle---it was all higher powered and sponsor was just the voice I needed to hear from that higher power). "No human power could have relieved our alcoholism"

Take what I say with a grain of salt, okay? Pray & meditate (to your HP) with your sponsor.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not trying to undermine your sponsor in any way or force you into anything; I just know that in 25 years of not working the steps led me to 10 months ago when I did work the steps, not understanding much, but doing it anyway.

In working step 3, I took the plunge and during step 4, was reminded that if I were serious about step 3, the fears were being taken care of. My HP hasn't let me down to this day.

My first 3 steps were through discussion, so right here our sponsors' ways are different....I wrote for step 4 and 8 and some notes on 9 after another lengthy discussion with sponsor like in step 5.

Again, everyone is different, and my sponsor claims that they don't do much other than share their experience before and after much meditation and prayer throughout our discussion(s); (I could see that, although they were trying to be subtle---it was all higher powered and sponsor was just the voice I needed to hear from that higher power). "No human power could have relieved our alcoholism"

Take what I say with a grain of salt, okay? Pray & meditate (to your HP) with your sponsor.
Okay. Honestly I'm still trying to get the higher power concept down. My HP is more like the Universe/Fate, my own higher conscience, the group of drunks etc. I am trying to believe in some kind of "God" but I just can't seem to be able to believe in it.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I was "willing" to believe, moved on to step 3, said a prayer, then dove into 4.

I experienced the power of my HP afterwards, when the anxiety, phobias, and fears, along with all cravings disappeared. It's my experience that made me understand steps 1-3 better. (it's really hard to explain this "experience")
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was "willing" to believe, moved on to step 3, said a prayer, then dove into 4.

I experienced the power of my HP afterwards, when the anxiety, phobias, and fears, along with all cravings disappeared. It's my experience that made me understand steps 1-3 better. (it's really hard to explain this "experience")
Okay. Well I'm willing. Hopefully that'll happen to me too. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if you didn't get depressed or anxious sometimes, you wouldn't be normal PT - and then you'd definitely have something to worry about!

D
Old 03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The steps are there because when not drinking we eventually feel like you're feeling and that sends us back to a drink for it's illusion of relief.

What alcohol once did for us quickly (when it used to work) the steps do for us slowly, with less police contact.