Notices

What an incredible day 1!!! Let's do it again!!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What an incredible day 1!!! Let's do it again!!

I posted this in another older thread, but it felt so good to type it that I wanted to start a new thread so I can update it daily ( for a while at least)...hope u don't mind.

8:00...drag myself out of bed cuz today is THE DAY and I promised myself I would start it with a long walk to get my head right...beautiful S. Florida day, walking, thinking and listening to pandora when "Angel" comes on...immediately download it cuz it was making me cry...I know it has different meanings to different people but it spoke to me, especially on this day...made it my official anthem of sobriety. I walk 4 miles and feel fantastic, then home for breakfast with family, followed by church with family and errands with family (starting to see a theme here?).

Go to library with my son and check out and start to read Rational Recovery book at library while son is on the computer, them we head over to check out a horse riding camp for him, then home. Had announced this morning to family that we are going to the beach at 6:00, so be ready (no beer at the beach!). The beach was perfect, peaceful, calming...listened to Angel over and over again as I watched the waves roll in and watched my daughter burying her brother in the sand...much better option for the 6:00-7:30 timeframe than drinking in my car as I go to buy beer for the night.

Getting dark so we head home, wife asks me to run to the store to pick up a few things...Uh-Oh...NO PROBLEM TODAY, I DON'T DRINK ANYMORE. get groceries, making sure that I sneer at the beer as I pass by. Have a great, late dinner, Watch some tv with my family, hang some clothes, drink some water and go to bed...

Perfect day...amazingly simple whe you don't have to plan the day around getting beer and drinking late..

Sorry for the detail, but it felt so good when I was telling it.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Sounds like an incredible day, 6palms. Good for you and welcome to your new life.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 6palms View Post
I posted this in another older thread, but it felt so good to type it that I wanted to start a new thread so I can update it daily ( for a while at least)...hope u don't mind.

8:00...drag myself out of bed cuz today is THE DAY and I promised myself I would start it with a long walk to get my head right...beautiful S. Florida day, walking, thinking and listening to pandora when "Angel" comes on...immediately download it cuz it was making me cry...I know it has different meanings to different people but it spoke to me, especially on this day...made it my official anthem of sobriety. I walk 4 miles and feel fantastic, then home for breakfast with family, followed by church with family and errands with family (starting to see a theme here?).

Go to library with my son and check out and start to read Rational Recovery book at library while son is on the computer, them we head over to check out a horse riding camp for him, then home. Had announced this morning to family that we are going to the beach at 6:00, so be ready (no beer at the beach!). The beach was perfect, peaceful, calming...listened to Angel over and over again as I watched the waves roll in and watched my daughter burying her brother in the sand...much better option for the 6:00-7:30 timeframe than drinking in my car as I go to buy beer for the night.

Getting dark so we head home, wife asks me to run to the store to pick up a few things...Uh-Oh...NO PROBLEM TODAY, I DON'T DRINK ANYMORE. get groceries, making sure that I sneer at the beer as I pass by. Have a great, late dinner, Watch some tv with my family, hang some clothes, drink some water and go to bed...

Perfect day...amazingly simple whe you don't have to plan the day around getting beer and drinking late..

Sorry for the detail, but it felt so good when I was telling it.
That sounds like an amazing day my friend.

What is the weather like there now temperature wise? Do you work at all? The only reason I ask is I've always wondered what the employment situation was in florida.

Thanks a lot,

Bruno.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
6palms,

It's great to see people moving forward. Good for you. I would like to offer a bit of advice, though. When reading the RR book, it is preferable to do it alone, by yourself, without distractions. This is because due to the nature of AVRT, you need to be able to pay attention to your thoughts and feelings as you read along and work on the exercises.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job 6palms. Very proud of you - let's keep it going.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations 6palms

D
Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TU and hevyn,
Thank you! Also, I am keeping the book at work so I can read it alone during lunch.

Btw, it's family drive-in movie night! Haven't done this in probably 8 years but am working on ways to break the old habits...wife commented about how "creative" the ideas were for the last two nights.

That's a bonus!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome 6palms! When I go out in the evenings for any reason I treat myself to a non alc drink that I never used to have. My local Indian restaurant does amazing mango lasses. This makes me feel like I'm not missing out
Old 03-19-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good idea dointhis! Ironically, I never drank when out with my wife and/or children...not even one beer, weird right? But I would be sure to hurry up and get home and make up for it.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 2 and going strong!

Ok, so my drive-in movie night was overruled by the family, replaced by a trip to get ice cream...I can live with that. Trip to the ice cream place, sitting outside eating ice cream watching my comedian son in a sugar-induced goofball routine was another great alternative to a night of siting on the couch drinking...

In bed with wife watching tv by 9:30...problem is that she is so used to being alone that she has to adjust to me being there...I want to watch something different, I want to turn off the tv and get some sleep (remarkably tired right now, even with getting more sleep than I am used too...is that normal), etc.

Up and at work at 7:00, that hasn't happened in awhile. Tonight I will have to break another routine..I have a part time job two days a week that puts me out late, around 8:30 and I always grab a beer on the ride home...until today...reading rational recovery and getting more and more strength and strategies daily. Have a fantastic day everyone!!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LDT

6palms, your day with the fam sounds most perfect! The beach has amazing healing powers. So does ice cream! I'm surrounded by lakes, rivers and bayous, so I spent a lot of healing time on a boat the first few months of my sobriety. I'd still push for that drive in movie, though...and I would hope for the corniest, funniest, most out dated movie ever......what FUN!!