Notices

Opening Up to Loved Ones

Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opening Up to Loved Ones

Prior to this week I hadnt told anyone outside of AA my "whole" story. Today is day 50 btw. I had told family and some friends that I quit drinking and was making some overdue changes, but did not really elaborate. When pressed about this (in a nice way, mind you) I simply said that the changes I am making are positive, and that when the time is right, we could maybe talk more in-depth. Everyone has been really supportive and understanding.

This week I told my Sister, who has lived 2300 miles away during my worst drinking years. Again, she knew I had quit drinking, she knew about the insomnia & anxiety, but she didnt know how bad my drinking had got or that I am attending AA etc.

Thing is, I paused before truly opening up. Worried that telling her might affect my recovery negat-...and I stopped my thoughts in their tracks. Shes never been anything but supportive, and we've always been able to confide in one another, so the only REAL reason I could think not to tell her about my alcoholism & attending AA in full, would be to keep that in my back pocket so that if I relapsed she would still be in the dark about everything, and I couldnt be held accountable in any way. The worry about sharing with her immediately became a thing of the past, and she was beyond supportive and "proud" to hear about the changes Im making. She even opened up to me about something she has been dealing with. It was truly a heart-warming experience.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Shane...That sounds a lot like my ninth step was...Amends...When I got to that step...Quite a few people found out about my drinking (99% knew) and that I was in AA and didn't know that.....I got smiles across the board...I don't think one person was sorry to see I had quit....Maybe just break the news on your ninth step..You know?...The one where the promises start kicking in.