Notices

Celexa/Tramadol

Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celexa/Tramadol

This is weird, but I wondered if anyone had a similar experience?

I've been on celexa for a very long time- 10 yrs. I've recently been prescribed tramadol for back pain and in taking it, I discovered it seemed like I could replace my celexa with it. I was worried about taking them together bc of the seratonin syndrome and I happened to run out of celexa and decided to experiment with not taking it, and just taking the tramadol. So far (only on day 3) I feel fine. I usually can tell immediately if I go off my celexa- I feel short tempered, anxious, depressed, etc. But I don't feel that way now. Could it be that my tramadol is replacing my celexa?

If so, that would be great. I've wanted to get off celexa for a long time due to some undesirable side effects. I have read some off-label uses for tram include being used as an antidepressant, and easing opiate w/d.

I am not asking for med advice, just anyone who's had similar experience. Yes, I do plan on talking to my doc (who prescribes both to me) about this. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I took effexorXR (an antidepressant like celexa) with tramadol. I did the exact same thing. I could skip the antidepressant as long as I had the tramadol. The tramadol has some of the same qualities as a antidepressant-Just be careful, I found myself skipping my effexor and taking more tramadol than was needed. Tramadol is also really hard to get off of.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

With my doctors advice, I used prozac to wean off of Cymbalta. Never heard of the tramadol thing although they don't treat even close to the same thing.

As you know, it's never recommended to just stop taking an anti-depressant without your doctors advice so .... call the doc.

Since tramadol is not an anti-depressant, it's obviously not treating your depression even though it may help with any withdraw effects. It was never a good idea for me to decide, on my own, that I didn't need my anti-depressant and just stop taking it. It never turned out well for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OK, experiment over. I went back on my celexa- decided this was a stupid experiment. Thanks for the advice.