Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

March 18 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

Living with an alcoholic distorted my thinking in many ways, but particularly in one: I blamed all my problems on The Bottle. Now, I am learning in Al-Anon to look squarely at each difficulty, not seeking whom to “blame” but to discover how my attitude helped to create my problem or aggravate it.

I must learn to face the consequences of my own actions and words, and to correct myself when I am wrong. Accepting responsibility is essential to becoming mature. Whether the alcoholic is drinking or not, I will not look for a scapegoat to excuse my own faults.

TODAY’S REMINDER

There is no advantage, no profit, and no growth, in deceiving myself merely to escape the consequences of my own mistakes. When I realize this, I know I will be making progress.

“We must be true inside, true to ourselves, before we can know a truth that is outside us. But we make ourselves true inside by manifesting the truth as we see it.”