Notices

Want to try life without drinking

Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to try life without drinking

I've been reading tons of posts on here. And one thing that someone said was that she stopped asking herself whether she had a problem or not, and rather, asked herself if she liked her life drinking? (something like that....).

I know I have some unhealthy patterns, and I really do NOW, want to try my life without drinking.

But again, I can't commit to forever without drinking. And I still feel like I could drink in moderation. But, I would like to go 30 days sober. I know that isn't that much, but it's what I can fully commit to right now.

I guess I have a question of whether I would be accepted in AA if I'm not an alcoholic, do not consider myself powerless over alcohol, and don't want to commit to forever being sober? But still want to quit for now?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Study up on AA. And read the preface to the Big Book, Alcoholics Anonymous, especially "The Doctor's Opinion" doing so will help you decide if you have a problem or not. YOu may also want to try some of the suggestions given as well. Good Luck!

Remember, the only requirement for AA members is a desire to STOP drinking; not moderating or slowing down. Although nobody will not let you attend or bash you; all are welcome!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sure...why not? come along for some coffee n biscuits for 30 days! lol
Old 03-17-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
So it goes

If you are at the point where you are asking yourself serious questions you have an issue. Someone without a problem would just stop without thinking. 30 days is easy could you do 90. Moderation also sounds lovely a glass of wine with dinner or a beer on the patio. But if you are like me you like the fact that booze makes you drunk, the initial rush, forgetting the hangovers and the remorse.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

If you are curious about AA but unsure/undecided if you are an alcoholic I would just suggest going to an open meeting. There are open meetings and closed meetings. Closed is for alcoholics only, open is for anyone to attend. That way you could figure out what it's like before committing to anything.

Best wishes,
Old 03-17-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Skip, you posted a thread the other day with your "list." Might be a good idea to go back and read it over again. While today you're saying you aren't an alcoholic, some of the items on your list are red flags you might want to rethink.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease; I think most of us would agree that our issues started with "unhealthy patterns" and then progressed from there. One of the reasons it's difficult to quit is this dreamy idea we all have of being able to drink in moderation. For the true alcoholic, it's just not possible. But try a little experiment ... go to a bar or buy yourself a bottle of whatever it is you like to drink ... then have one or two drinks ... then see if you can stop at that. Pay attention to your feelings when you're doing this. Try it several times. The results will be very enlightening and you will find out whether or not you truly are "powerless."

I think most of us had difficulty with the idea of "forever." That's why in AA we do this thing "one day at a time." In early sobriety, it has been easier for me to just make the commitment to "today" instead of "forever." As I keep doing this just for today, my today's will eventually add up to forever. My brain can wrap itself around that for now.

As Breath said, the only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking. You don't want to stop drinking but are willing to check it out anyway, and I think that's a great idea. Go, listen and learn. The people are wonderful and their experience and stories will be a good education for you.

Only you can decide whether or not you are truly alcoholic, and I hope you can figure that out soon for your own peace of mind. We're here to support you through the journey.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Damn DS....You sound like you are starting to get this thing...That's fantastic. 12skiptomylue...Read the Doctror's opinion and the first three chapters of the BB...Go to an open meeting...Check your ego at the door...And just listen. It can't hurt.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Took long enough, didn't it, Sapling?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's kind of fun when you get into it...
Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

But I have been able to have just one drink. I'm not a binge drinker. I had one beer when I went to the brewery for a movie on thursday. But I was also very aware of how much everyone around me was drinking. I just didn't feel like "feeling it" that night.

See, this is why I am so dang confused!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
So it goes

Only you can decide whether you have a problem, I have just looked at your list. You drink too much whether that is alcoholic too much I don't know. But if you are worried pop to an AA meet. You don't have to say anything, just listen. Nobody judges you.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue View Post
But I was also very aware of how much everyone around me was drinking. I just didn't feel like "feeling it" that night.
You have to figure...Normal drinkers don't put that much thought into alcohol when they go out....Here you are consumed with what everyone else is drinking and how much you should or shouldn't have....Does that sound normal to you?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Even though you aren't fully committed to sobriety, 30 days is a start. Let's try the 30 days and hopefully within those days we can convince you to keep going lol. But in all honesty, I think 30 days is a great idea for you. It wil give you time to really experience life without alcohol, and who knows, you may just find that you LOVE life without booze. Give it a try, we're here to help you!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

eh, thank you. That actually made me cry.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're welcome! What day are you on today?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Just try to not drink for "today". The few times I tried to quit I was looking too far to the future and 30 days to me without drinking seemed like a lifetime & it overwhelmed me and I drank. Stick around, this place is great
Old 03-18-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue View Post
But, I would like to go 30 days sober. I know that isn't that much, but it's what I can fully commit to right now.
Let's try a simple plan...For 30 days...Do you think you could go to 5 meetings a week to AA and just listen? Do you have meetings near where you live? That would be 20 meetings in 30 days...Maybe you'll hear something there from other people with alcohol in their lives...How they are dealing with it...Or not dealing with it. And then...Don't drink today....When you get through the day....Mark it on your calender...Do the same thing tomorrow...One day at a time...When 30 days are up....See how you feel...You posted this at the top...

I know I have some unhealthy patterns, and I really do NOW, want to try my life without drinking.

Do you think you could try that plan for a month? If so...Why not today?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Skip,

The thought of quitting for good makes me want to die. Seriously, no exaggeration, the thought of life without booze and coke makes me suicidal. So I say, I can drink Saturdays, if I want to. I didn't yesterday, or last week, and I'm not going to next Saturday either. But I could. Y'know. If I really wanted to. Works for me...

Still
xx
Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So far you've decided to try life without drinking because it makes so much sense to you twice in about a week.

Trying life without drinking means that you don't drink and try life that way.

On this, time #3 you've decided to go 30 days. That's great, if you want to you should really do that.

If we quickly now get to time #4 we should start talking about not being able to stay sober after deciding firmly not to drink and what that means regarding being an alcoholic even though you don't want to be one in the least little bit.

So do that, go until mid April without a drink or dope. It's a good way to give ourselves useful information that's real, as opposed to fantasizing continually regarding what we'd really like to be so, but unfortunately isn't.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that stopping for a month is a good start.

You might find that the change in your life is positive and encourages you to continue.