Notices

First Meeting was Today

Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile First Meeting was Today

I made the decision to stop drinking last night after serious issues with heavy drinking and blackouts at least 4 nights a week. It was starting to affect my job and relationships. I called my brother late in the evening admitting to him that i had a problem and I needed help.

I went to an afternoon meeting today and just sat quietly and listened. I don't think I'm ready to tell my story yet in front of so many people. I'm hoping Monday's meeting might stoke my courage.

I want to say how amazed I was to see such a varied crowd. I thought I would be the only young one there but there were several of my peers at the meeting. One who happened to be celebrating their 5 year.

I'm going to keep going, I think the toughest thing right now is coming up with the courage to talk the rest of the people in my life and let them know the choice I've made. The road seems long right now.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Welcome to SR and good for you for making this decision and getting yourself to a meeting today. I remember my first AA meeting and not knowing what to expect from the people there, but like you, I discovered that there is a very wide range of folks who attend.

You don't have to speak right away ... just listen and take it all in. You'll know when you're ready to share and there won't be any pressure put on you to do so before you're ready.

You'll find support here too. Glad you're here.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome thelastdrop! Try not to think too far ahead - everything will fall into place. Yes, the road seems long when you first start out, but as you get healthier and stronger it won't seem that way.

Drinking had a terrible impact on my life, too - but I didn't take action the way you are. Instead I tried to control the amounts I drank. I wasted many years of my life, only to find out I couldn't touch alcohol - or dangerous things happened. Glad you saw the light! Let us know how you're doing.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it to a meeting and are planning to go again. Talk when you are ready.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just take it a day at a time...Just don't drink today...My sponsor had me just listen the first 30 days as I worked on the steps...That helped me alot...At six months I was Chairing meetings and now at 9 months I've been invited as a speaker at a different meeting on April 2nd...Now I can get nervous for nothing all over again....Glad you went...Just keep coming back...
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome! Saying my name was hard enough. I spent a while talking to people one on one after the meetings or before, it all takes time!

It gets better!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, thelastdrop. Glad you're here.

"I think the toughest thing right now is coming up with the courage to talk the rest of the people in my life and let them know the choice I've made."

You don't have to tell anyone, now or ever. I suggest you tell who you want, when you want. There are some people you may choose to never tell directly. If pressed, "I don't drink." is a complete sentence. Tell them you have an allergy - it's true.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! I see you registered quite a while ago but I'm glad you are posting now.

Don't feel rushed into doing anything, like feeling like you have to share at a meeting, or telling your family & friends even. It's good to have a few close friends or family memebers that you can unload on and share what's going on, but don't do like I did and call everyone you know to tell them you're an alcoholic (even your realtor.... yes, I actually did).

Everything happens in its own time and you have plenty of time to get used to your new life.

Best wishes!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hector View Post
Welcome, thelastdrop. Glad you're here.

"I think the toughest thing right now is coming up with the courage to talk the rest of the people in my life and let them know the choice I've made."

You don't have to tell anyone, now or ever. I suggest you tell who you want, when you want. There are some people you may choose to never tell directly. If pressed, "I don't drink." is a complete sentence. Tell them you have an allergy - it's true.
Thank you for this. I think this really helps me in dealing with this. I had the same thought process wondering, "this isn't something i have to go around and telling every single person i've met. that doesn't seem right."
Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can tell them or not when you are ready.

It took me awhile to get comfortable in meetings. Now I can't wait to go. The people I have met there are some of my closest friends.

God bless.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you! Something clicked with me yesterday and I just knew that it was the first day of the rest of my life, that I am done drinking. I didn't even think about it last night (stomach flu helped...lol), and this morning, reading everyones posts on FB about drinking all day because it's St. Patty's day, quite frankly, made my liver hurt!
I know everyday isn't going to be easy and filled with strength, but that's when I plan on coming here and immersing myself with stories from all of you that have made it through the hard days and are still going strong.

You can do this, and I'm right here with you!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery and good for you for not worrying too much about what will come along. Stay focused on your recovery.