Notices

Is there any point to St. Patrick's day?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm not Irish, so maybe I don't get it, but is there really any point to St. Patrick's day other than getting sloshed off your gourd? Maybe it once stood for something, but this whole "everyone's Irish on St. Patty's day" mentality really bothers me.

I know it's going to be a tough day for a lot of us. Is anyone making any special plans to protect their sobriety? I will be here, I'm guessing.

Or else, do you have a plan to celebrate the day but do it sober? I feel like it's a contrived excuse to drink a lot, but I'd be quite happy and encouraged to be proven wrong.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Well, I like to look for people not wearing green and pinch them. good times...
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
I'm not Irish, so maybe I don't get it, but is there really any point to St. Patrick's day other than getting sloshed off your gourd? Maybe it once stood for something, but this whole "everyone's Irish on St. Patty's day" mentality really bothers me.

I know it's going to be a tough day for a lot of us. Is anyone making any special plans to protect their sobriety? I will be here, I'm guessing.

Or else, do you have a plan to celebrate the day but do it sober? I feel like it's a contrived excuse to drink a lot, but I'd be quite happy and encouraged to be proven wrong.
my thinking is why put St patricks in the middle of Lent, i think its a cause to have a day off??? from the 40 days
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll agree that booze aspect tends to overshadow everything else these days, at least in popular culture....but I come from Irish stock so I kinda think there is a point in celebrating one's Irishness

I do my celebrating at home now tho
D
Old 03-15-2012, 10:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's pretty much a racist day of excessiveness and stereotypes in practice.

St Patrick wasn't even Irish (he was British) and was forced into religious conversion (as many where at the time) by way of being sold into slavery. Theres a lot of other nifty tidbits of info too: St. Patrick's Day Facts: Snakes, a Slave, and a Saint
Old 03-15-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm still thinking I'm celebrating my heritage
vive la difference Zaxx...

D
Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
It's pretty much a racist day of excessiveness and stereotypes in practice.
as so many holidays are...

As far as this being a difficult day because it's a big drinking day, not for me. I drank every day. I didn't need an excuse. Every day was a big drinking day. St. Paddy's day or a random Tuesday...same dif.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To clarify, I admire and respect it as a "heritage day" for sure.

I was just kinda making commentary on the popularized negative aspects of it.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

It's up there with Melbourne Cup day
Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Corned beef and cabbage in a pub where they play Irish tunes; thats what it means to me.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didnt drink any more or any less on that day, never even had a 'green' beer, It was one of those days that you just had a few more drinking buddys.

No plans at all, or pressure to drink booze, maybe a tv parade and some green cool-aid
Old 03-16-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A friend asked me about a SP Party Day today... I passed. There are better things to do ;-)
Old 03-16-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im going to a daytime BBQ with friends, who either already know I quit drinking, or I am gonna make a point to tell them right away. That way no pressure to drink. Also planning to hit my usual 830pm Saturday meeting afterwards.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

IN London the most ridiculous day of the year, idiots walking round with silly hats on Pissed, terrific.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

St Patty's day is never usually a problem for me. I've always been a shift worker, and by some coincidence I usually seem to work it. So I don't have much of an attachment and I treat it like any other day.

No offense to my Irish brethren, but 'round these parts it's mainly used as an excuse for morons to get absolutely wasted and wear ridiculous hats. It didn't even appeal to me when I WAS a drinker.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was in court on St. Patricks Day...getting my divorce finalized. it's always taken on special meaning with driving out the snakes and all.

Of course now there is no alcohol in the day and i don't do the bar scene anymore....but usually try to get a nice corned beef dinner cooked up.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I am Irish and proud, and this day loaming has been on my mind, I've not been sober in 20 years on Paddy's day, Paddy's people not Patty who ever she is lol.But i've got a plan and 'm stickn to it."It's pretty much a racist day" Zaxx this is a bit much, it's a day well Irish recongnise there patron saint, he may not be Irish, Welsh actually but you can be from north pole and still be a Patron of a country.
It def has a reputation for a day to go get wrote off, but the drinks industry has played a blinder here.
I do rem as a child going to mass, watching the bands and the parade and goin home to eat chocolate as it was seen as a holiday from lent, minus my silly hat!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
I was in court on St. Patricks Day...getting my divorce finalized. it's always taken on special meaning with driving out the snakes and all.

My mother, who never drank in her life, would always wear green and cook corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day to celebrate our heritage. It has fond memories for me, none of which involve drinking...and I shall wear green.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
JEANS

I think it's nice to celebrate anything no matter what the day is but I think there should be better ways of celebrating than going to the pub.

I wish there was a fun fair for SP's day near me, Irish music and walters
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

you guys are making me cook corned beef and cabbage tomorrow LOL
D