Notices

Day 3, Already feel like drinking.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Day 3, Already feel like drinking.

I don't know why its like day 3 and day 4 are the worst. I get these headaches, anxiety and if you look at me wrong I am liable to bite your head off. I hate this feeling. All I can think about is getting off of work, driving to the gas station and picking up a 32oz. I have had some triggers throughout the day so that hasn't helped. This is so annoying! All I want to do is stop drinking but the minute one stressful situation comes up thats all I can think about. I don't like being sober, at least not right now. I hope it isn't always like this when being without alcohol. How do I get through this?!?!?!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm at day 10 and I can tell you that it gets better. I've had a number of stressful things happen to me in those 10 days and when I think of drinking I force myself to also think about how awful I am going to feel the next day. Not just physically but mentally too. I think about how badly I would be beating myself up the next day and feeling like crap. And to me it's just not worth it.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Dominica. I know how you feel - I remember almost falling back on my old crutch in the beginning. I was resentful and on edge - very much wanted to numb myself. Then I remembered that drinking would just take me back to the same old misery I was trying to get away from. Sure, it might feel a little better for a short time - but nothing really gets accomplished when we cave. You'll begin to feel much better soon.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Going to an AA meeting really helps me. I can't do it by myself.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dominica, at this point you probably still are detoxing...no wonder you feel awful It sucks, but it will get so much better. Perservere, sleep, work on a plan for you, you can get through
Old 03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I have just been so busy taking care of my grandma and things that I dont really have the time for a meeting this week. Its just stressful. Clenching teeth stressful. Thank you for y'alls input. I'll take any suggestions I can get.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Dom

I know it must be rough for you right not, not only detoxing and not drinking but also with your other responsibilities.

I think support is really important.

I think balance is important too. In looking after other people it's important we look after ourselves too

If you're an AA member then I'd really encourage you to try and make an hour or whatver it is for a meeting
Old 03-15-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I went to all lengths to get a drink, even
in driving rain and flooding. All reason
and all conditions. That alcohol was
calling me and I wanted it just as bad
that it hurt inside my gut.

A rollercoast ride or merry go round
with no way of getting off that craziness
and madness.

If i wanted to stay sober, i had to go
to any lengths to do so just like it was
for drinking and I wanted it bad enough.

I was just like anyone here wanting to
stop drinking, except, it took wanting to
end my life, family intervention, rehab and
willingness after all that to do whatever
i needed to do to stay sober.

My journey began 21 yrs ago beginning with
day 1 continueing on for a many one days at
a time added together to get me where I am
today.

So can you.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are right Sharon.

I had to learn to go to any lengths to do it AA's way and not my way.

Bob R
Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

aa online chatroom has chat and online meetings

Addiction, Alcoholism - In The Rooms - Drug Addiction Treatment also has meetings

there are telephone conference meetings

for me, it's important to have people to call to talk me through my anxiety, my cravings, my bright ideas. We drank for many reasons. Try to think it through to the worst case scenerio....DUI with killing someone, jail, fights in bars, ill health, or anything you've ever gone through. I've been alienated by family members, I've lost everything, including my soul....I think it through to the bad hangovers, too, plus things I've heard at meetings. No time for a meeting, listen to a speaker tape online. It's not the same as face to face, but you can get distracted for an hour or less.

How badly do you want to stay stopped? If I had to bungee jump, I'd have probably done that. Whatever it takes, know that you can and will get through this moodiness. what was numbed, now comes to the surface. Journaling helps me.

Stay strong, stay sober, stay stopped!
Big hugs,
Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I am ending day four right now! Dig in Dominica you can do this! Stay with us!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh Stop! Day 3 and 4 are the most horrible days. Just trying to get 4 days over is the most rotten time at all. Still live to tell the tale! Don't know what tomorrow will bring, but that's another day!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 3 and 4 were actually my hardest as well. I got past the first 2 days pretty easily, but for some reason day 3 hit me like a ton of bricks, I even bought beer and almost drank it but reminded myself why I need to remain sober. Once I got past day 3 and 4 it's been pretty easy. Day 16 for me now and no looking back
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It will get better, in fact, I'll bet you wake up tomorrow feeling much better and proud of yourself, too. This is not easy, but if I did it (day 73) you can do it.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What always worked for me was playing the tape forward. I knew in my heart that drinking was not the best idea but somehow that twisted thinking always tried to get the best of me. After thinking of the consequences, the money I'd spend, the feelings I'd have, the guilt and shame all over again...I would always decide that maybe lasting one more day wouldn't be so hard...then work on the day after that...the day after that...I'm on day 412...It's not easy but it's worth it.

Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Days 3 and 4 suck. They really do. I've had a number of them.

But if you feel bad now, think about how much worse you will feel if you drink.

If you go to bed tonight sober, you can wake up tomorrow and feel good. You can add another sober day to your life and feel good about not giving in to that icky voice that wants to keep you in your addiction. And you will be able to take better care of your grandma.

If you drink tonight, you will wake up tomorrow not only feeling horrible both physically and emotionally, but you will also have to start this whole difficult process over again at Day 1, which means you will have to go through Days 3 and 4 again. Why not get it over with now?

Hang tough ... the day is almost over. I believe in you and know you can do this.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It took awhile for my body and emotions to adjust. I had been numbing everything for so long that I didn't know how to react to situations(life) without drugs or alcohol. AA meetings, the steps, my sponser, and talking to other recovering people helped get me through it. It does take time. It's not going to happen right away.

God bless.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I'm at day 635 of sobriety and its annoying when the urge to drink pops into my head. I don't drink because I have come to enjoy my sobriety. I felt the same way as you do at day 4. I just suffered through it all. It does get easier as the days go by. You can do it.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thank you all so much for the support. I went ahead and took the advice and went to an AA meeting tonight and it was great (as great as it can be at day 3). I have a good feeling about the program. SR and AA kept me from drinking. Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

yay!! so happy for you! Well done!