Notices

Just started kicking grass today...

Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just started kicking grass today...

Why is this so difficult?! I thought it was physically impossible to get addicted to marijuana. I've been smoking every day without fail for several years, consistently have more than I need, and use it to do everything: before work, on lunch break, after work, after exercising, after eating, before laundry, before driving...the list goes on. It has no adverse effect on anything in my life except my health, so I have no specific reason to quit. I'm trying to really beat the psychology in my head and I have everyone one of my pieces packed with lighters in front on my desk... I've been staring at them for hours.

I'm about to pour a drink. Someone please slap me. And after rereading this post I wouldn't be surprised if everyone is seriously confused.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome crisp...This is a great site for support...I loved my pot but alcohol is what beat my ass...I don't know if I was addicted to it...But I'd smoke it if it was there...Have you looked into any recovery options for quitting?...NA...Or MA?...Anything like that?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Welcome to SR. You are in the right place. There is a lot of good people here at SR that are willing to help you in your recovery. Hang on for the ride. Good luck on your journey into a new way of life. Logo
Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

*slap* There ya go.

Welcome to SR - we're glad you're here. If you don't think you have a reason to quit, then you probably won't ... but you wouldn't be here if you weren't seriously thinking about it. I do hope you quit. We're here to support you if that's what you decide to do.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Weed is tough, man, I've seen it completely dominate people's lives. And yet there seems to almost be this reverse stigma, that it's not a "real" drug. I've heard of people being laughed out of NA meetings because they were "only" trying to beat weed, which is utter nonsense. Addiction is addiction.

I'm glad you're here and I wish you the best.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I loved that stuff too, but honestly, you're living in a fog.... don't smoke today and don't replace it with alcohol. You can do this, I did!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Welcome, crisp. I've also seen weed dominate people's lives, to the point where they can't function through their normal day without smoking first. If that's not addiction, I don't know WHAT is. But the minimization of marijuana and its effects is ultimately what prevents people from honestly assessing what it is doing to their life and to their health. My spouse was a daily smoker who has successfully quit (and is quite glad she did), and my best friend is still the heaviest smoker I know. The amounts that she can smoke are absolutely staggering.

You *have* specified a very important reason for quitting: your health. And quitting something that you've been doing everyday for several years is going to be trickier than some may initially think. There's always debate about whether pot is physically addictive, but if you're having a hard time putting down the pipe, it's a moot point.

Either way, welcome to SR! I know I've seen some marijuana-related threads in the Substance Abuse section.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you found us!
Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My gosh,

I really didn't expect an outpouring of support like this. I tell my friends about it and they laugh it off, saying there's "no danger" and I'm a "quitter." I know it's fun and games to them but like many of you said, it is a part of my functioning day...and my day is, as sugarbear1 said, a fog.

Day 2, appetite is gone and got very little sleep, dragging through the work day. Unnecessarily irritable to my coworkers, most of whom thankfully understand what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for everyone's support, I'm completely inspired by the fact that there really are people like you out there who care. This may not be as bad as I thought...
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

heh crisp

My buddy Sandy always says: hell yeah you can smoke and function. Like before I got clean I was the best 50 yr old dishwasher you would ever want to hire!

Not by chance we referred to it as getting "wasted"

My NA groups do NOT discount a pothead.

I only know that i could not have written my novel, run my businesses, been a 'real' father, built 2 boats, and followed thru anytime i said i was gonna do something if i was smoking dope...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Crispus- weed was hard for me until I got strung out on coke- thats not an recommendation. But when I quit- the detox is incredible- 10-14 days of bronchitis like coughing and getting rid of so much stuff. my lungs feel great- stick out till the cilia start growing again and cleaning your lungs- that is pretty encouraging- and fun to feel the heal.
congratulations.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome crispusattucks

I smoked daily for 25 years or so - so pot was definitely not a benign drug or a soft one in my experience - I was really hooked.

I think supports important, so I'm glad you've joined us

but making changes is important too - I got rid of all my paraphernalia...i made myself get more active...sitting there missing a smoke is no good for anyone...

and if you have friends who you smoke with, give them a wide berth for a little while too, maybe. That was vital for me.

D