Notices

5 months this month

Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months this month

I will have five months this month. I am so thankful for my sobriety, a belief in something greater than myself, and my family. These past couple weeks have been difficult, I'm experiencing more anxiety than usual. I am praying more, changing my surroundings more, and just taking it day by day. The anxiety stems from work, same team new role. I have a difficult time with transitions, I feel like I should already know how to do something...which I know is irrational. I just don't like feeling exposed, if is scary to me. I need to look at this as a learning opportunity. Any advice on how to tackle new challenges that have steep learning curves?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Cascade))) - congratulations on your upcoming 5 months!

I don't adjust well to change...even if I know it's better for me, I get the anxiety. The last job I had, not only did *I* think I was supposed to know, or at least catch on much faster, but I didn't, got screamed at a lot, thought I was an idiot, the whole 9 yards. I did finally catch on, then everyone wanted me working with them because not only did I know my job, I was great with customers.

I like how you mention thinking of this as a "learning opportunity". That is what has helped me when I get stressed about something. I'm in school, the beginning of every semester, I'm convinced I'm never going to get whatever it is I'm supposed to be learning. People here have reminded me "you do this every semester, you always do fine, you'll do fine, just take a deep breath.

I always think I have to do things perfectly. I've had to accept that I'm FAR from perfect, and that doing my best is good enough. I look at things i've learned in the past...heck, look at your recovery! That's a HUGE change, one that's good for you, but remember when you first started? Didn't it feel a bit overwhelming? (It did me) and here you are coming up on 5 months. I'm pretty sure there are other things in your life that you worried about, and they worked out okay...think about stuff like that.

My DOC was crack, and when I'm totally thinking "I can not get/do this" I laugh and remind myself "you got off crack, you an do ANYTHING!!" Recovery isn't easy, but you are doing it..you are handling the anxiety. Give yourself big kudos for that!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

congrats, I just finished 5 months yesterday too!!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Wookie))) - Congratulations to you, too!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats on your upcoming 5 months Cascade.

Going through a challenging situation sober is good practice for learning how to live sober through anything, good or bad. Just do it and go through it, then you'll be glad you did.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cascade, congratulations!

I also don't like change, don't like feeling exposed and believe that I should know how to do things right from the start.

I found that "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle helped me so much. I learned that I could pause for a moment and go inward to that safe place within myself, where there is peace always. It helps me to keep perspective that my role in this lifetime is much more than the new job, or whatever it is that is stressing me. I'm not saying it's easy or that I can manage to do that all the time, but I'm on the right track.