Notices

Something I am struggling with so far.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Something I am struggling with so far.

As some of you might have seen I just recently joined this site. Today is only my third day sober. I recently (6 months ago) moved back in with my parents (because I was in the military for 3 years) until I find a full time job. Anyways, my problem is, I've told my folks about everything and they are being 100% completely supportive, however I am still embarrassed in front of them even though I know I shouldn't be because I have done the right thing. It's hard for me to even have a conversation with them and all I want to do is sit in my room and watch TV. I would love to be able to smile and talk to them. My question is if anyone has had any similiar problems and if so, do they just go away with time? Or is there something I can do.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome BMT....Have you told them you were quitting before?...I mean...Is this the first time they've heard that?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is the second time I've told them, but the first time I knew I wasn't serious. This time I do. I tried to explain that to them I think they understand. I have already lost too much.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know what your feelings on AA are...But you could go to a meeting tonight...Show you are making some kind of effort...You might like it...I did...And it might give you something to talk to them about when you get back...
Old 03-12-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was living with my parents I told them about it... I was drinking for about a year at that time. They did possibly everything wrong.... My mom didn't understand it. She did daily searches of my room, car, everything. She took my wallet with all my ATM cards, took my car keys, didn't let me leave her sight for a second. My Dad even told her that she was being too aggressive with it. That I had the courage to tell them and therefore I must want to change but she didn't believe any of it. Anyway that lasted about a week, until I was do stressed out I ended up getting plastered daily. I ended up selling my car for a downpayment on a house and I moved out, that's when my drinking really got out of control. Moral of my story is that some parents, family, friends or significant others can really over do it and possibly cause someone to drink more. You're very lucky to have supportive and understanding parents. Don't feel too bad about wanting to sit in your room and watch tv, sooner or later you'll have enough energy to want to spend time with them.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Here's a suggestion, take it or leave it: Go to an open AA meeting with them. It will help them and you with conversation. Also, get and read the Big Book of AA, and encourage them to read it too. And, of course, encourage them to go to Al-Anon, get the newcomer's packet and read it, and talk to people after the meetings.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome BMT. I do understand what you mean, but for me those feelings I had early on all faded away. I was very self-conscious around everyone at first. Then I got tired of not being part of things - I just started in small ways to rejoin life. The more you talk to your parents, the easier it will get. Be patient with yourself - you will get there.